Sign in to follow this  
Greyfox

One time skills transfer to Epic

What would it be like if we could, one time only, transfer to Epic and keep our skills?    I've always found the idea of Epic intriguing, but the starting over with no skills has always been a stopping point for me.  I would definatly jump over to Epic, if I had a one time skill transfer to Epic.
Wonder if more people would give Epic a shot if they could transfer in with their skills.

• Like 1

helLo let m,e improve your suggestion a bit

>remove increased skillgain from epic

>adjust skills of epic players as if they never had increased skillgain (won't be perfect but better than nothing :^))

>let players move freely between the clusters

ok gr8 suggestion pls add devs thx

pls I want to play this game again so badly but i'm stuck on a dead cluster that is also 100% pvp so I can't even enjoy the more freedom side of the game

Edited by Worksock

8 minutes ago, SmeJack said:

What if you hate it after you try it then you are stuck

Tough luck? Make the player stick with the decision like an adult.

17 minutes ago, SmeJack said:

What if you hate it after you try it then you are stuck

I never said you'd loose the skills outside of Epic.   My suggestion is you could one time transfer to Epic, with your skills, your skills would stay on Freedom but from that point on your Epic chr and Freedom chr would be separate as they are now.  Skills you gain on Epic wouldn't translate back to Freedom and vice versa.

Then 'one time' makes no sense since there would never be need for a second or third

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, SmeJack said:

Then 'one time' makes no sense since there would never be need for a second or third

One time, so that if you skill higher on Freedom after the transfer you can't import the higher skills a second time.

Just now, SmeJack said:

will it work both ways

One way TO Epic.   My suggestion is about transferring TO Epic. 
I know people have suggested and requested a transfer FROM Epic, but this is not a thread about transfer from Epic. 

seems they go hand in hand, one is not fair without the other

• Like 2

I think the request is

when transferring to epic, allow a period in which freedom skills overwrite epic skills if they are higher

e.g. 50 fs on epic vs 70fs on freedom > 70 fs on epic

70 platesmithing on epic vs 50 platesmithing on freedom > 70 platesmithing on epic.

Many do point out that having to start from scratch again in an already established cluster is a huge detriment towards actually trying out epic.

Ppl should freely move their toons no matter what direction. They are paying for prem time. Why? So their skills are reset to zero? It's the dumbest thing in this game. Anyone that jumped from freedom to epic, and prob other way around, wished so they can have their skills. Most people are not willing to sacrifice their time on another cluster and prob only reason why they don't use portals for most of them even when 1h cooldown was removed. Ticks are hard to get and every tick counts.

• Like 1

Epic has 2x skill tick size as well as the curve to get players higher faster. Thus the seperation from epic to Freedom

1 hour ago, Retrograde said:

Many do point out that having to start from scratch again in an already established cluster is a huge detriment towards actually trying out epic.

Same goes for people coming from epic to freedom. 

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Retrograde said:

Epic has 2x skill tick size as well as the curve to get players higher faster. Thus the seperation from epic to Freedom

I don't agree with this, that's just excuse for another reason whatever it was. I can only guess what reason it was.

I never looked into epic curve function but I guess there's inverse function for it (there is online epic converter that calculates skills in each direction, effective and real skill value). I'm sure CC will do something about it as soon as you start losing money on it. Before that will see maybe few candy features like cooldown removal.

Also, could you make clear what you said: "Epic has 2x skill tick size as well as the curve". I always thought there's just curve, what's stated at wurmpedia. What you said sounds like formula is y=2x+2x-(x/10)^2 instead of y=2x-(x/10)^2. What is right?

Skills like meditation/climbing/preaching are much harder on epic then freedom coz the curve makes them very annoying to grind. 

We also never had the option to raise body stamina besides woodcutting.

My opinion on this matter changed over the years now that my cluster is not picking up population well.

I would +1 this but only if the skills are balanced and well thought of.

soooooooooooooooooooo boring........you guys can stop discuss it............... there will be no merge !!!!!

If the population continue to shrink, at some point devs would have to choose if they gonna:

- close the server and loose last paying customers

- leave it at it is and loose another paying customers

- or do anything to keep at least few of them.

On the third option miracles would start to happen (merge or transfers or whatever).

+1 I would at least give epic a fair try again if I could start on epic with mavvs freedoms skills as a starting point. I am sure a lot of people would try epic out as well if they could do the same.

Mavv

+1 if this is all we'll get

Honestly they just need to up and merge the skills (let epic keep the curve, the double exp is the trade off you get in return for being in an open PvP world) and have a skillset across all characters.

One of the problems I see is that some people did transfer to Epic, and started fresh, and have played on Epic for some time, accruing skill levels that they may not have been able to on Freedom.

While others have started a character on Epic that has never been on Freedom, some have characters which have playtime on both clusters, my own 'Epic main' has far higher skills on Epic than on Freedom, and in fact some higher skills than my Freedom main, who has only rarely been to Epic, for 'sightseeing'.

As a new character no one loses much upon transfer to Epic, this only applies to older Freedom characters who have never been to Epic, and frankly, I don't see any particular reason for some form of transfer of skills between Freedom and Epic, even a one-time 'sweetener' to get people onto Epic, most people are not put off by starting from scratch, Epic makes this far easier than doing the same on Freedom, for instance a new alt on freedom. Both the effective skill curve and the double skillgain are already highly biased toward new players, whether those are new or old accounts transferring to Epic for the first time.

Note that effective skill curve does not actually mean you have more skill, in fact it can be detrimental to skillgain, especially at higher levels, even with 2x skillgain.

There's simply no 'one size fits all' solution to the various aspects of character transfers between Freedom and Epic, no matter which direction the transfer is, there will always be winners and losers, and the perception that Epic is somehow easy has not been my, or most players experience in Epic, especially when, like me some have about as much experience, (playtime) on both.

Maybe it's not that complicated (no idea if it's technically possible). There are players

1. who only played on epic cluster

2. who only played on freedom cluster

3. who played both clusters

You can give players one time option to choose while they use portal to transter their real skills in direction they choose or leave it indefenetly as option. Some will choose to transfer their skills from freedom to epic, others from epic to freedom some will continue to play as they have played before.

Speaking for myself, I have 2 accounts (priest and main, switched roles on clusters) that I use on both clusters and one I stareted to use  only on epic, all are prem. If this option would be given to me I would transfer my freedom main to epic, play on my freedom_priest/epic_main as it is and transfer my epic account to freedom.

Ask for feedback, make some polls. Do something about it as situation now doesn't benefit CCAB or player community. Prob there will be players unhappy with solution, but players are also unhappy with situation as it is now.

Anyway +1 for suggestion from start of the thread.

Get rid of the skill gain difference on Epic (leave the curve, probably) and make skills transfer over.  Have a 1-time levelling function on Epic to get skills down to a point where they don't have a massive lead over Freedom (exact mechanism TBD), have a 1-time character merge (take the highest numbers for each skill from each side or similar), and then let folks take their skills backwards and forwards as they wish (with appropriate cool-downs, of course).  Items stay on their own cluster.

This allows Freedomers to dip their toes in Epic without having to start again from scratch, without the ability to haul all your goodies back to a safe server.  It also allows Epic'ers to take skill grind, care bear holidays if they wish.  Best parts of a merge without destroying one or the other play style.