Sign in to follow this  
Benie

A question of when it's time to get my gear re-imped(and how often)

So I've been exploring every server of the Freedom Isles(currently exploring Celi), and been having some fun while doing it. But there have been several things that get under my skin;

-Roads not being the same as on the map (due to an outdated map dump).

-"I don't WANNA act like a horse from Skyrim!" horse shenanigans of dealing with terrain that I can easily traverse but it can't.

And then, there's mobs. Trolls still tend to kick my butt (yet I eventually kick theirs back even harder after healing up). But there's this "wow, Wurm. You're mean" feeling of seeing my gear get damaged, and hearing (like in most games) that protection goes down as damage goes up. Sometimes I swear lesser mobs line up to be slaughtered, because they know by doing so, my huge axe will eventually be useless.

I lack the means of re-imping my gear by myself. And even if I did, I feel being forced to go back home in order to re-imp(as I live on my own and actually enjoy doing so), is extremely frustrating and tedious (plus I lose days I could had been exploring during the Spring and Summer 'months'). I also fear the thought of having to pay someone tons of silver to re-imp my stuff.

Yet, I know that either one or the other is going to have to happen eventually. But the question is...when, and how often do I have to worry about this?

So the point of this thread is, when exactly (of what QL) do I need to be 'alerted' that I have to find someone to completely re-imp(and then go back to having fun and not having to worry about it for awhile)? I have 70 FS, and all of my armor and my weapon are 70 QL. I still want to be able to fight anything at any age(besides champ mobs, and uniques of course..even though I killed a ven champ wolf all by myself).

The reason I ask this is I hear "my friend can kill a troll with a ql 50 longsword!" Whenever this is actually true or not, I dunno. I just need a.. 'threshold' of when to 'panic'(as the damage I do is only going to go down as if I'm not wearing armor).

I realize there's a lot of factors in this (how much damage is received, how long (and/or often) I'm in combat, the type of metal the gear was made in, and other stuff).

Edited by Benie

Armor should be imped whenever you feel, that you take too much damage from critters. And weapon should be imped, when you feel you lack damage.

There is no absolute truth in it and you shouldn't really compare yourself with others. That "friend, who can kill a troll with a 50ql longsword" has probably high enough characteristics, that he does more damage with that 50ql sword, than you do with 70ql.

10 minutes ago, rixk said:

Armor should be imped whenever you feel, that you take too much damage from critters. And weapon should be imped, when you feel you lack damage.

That's true, but I want a 'baseline' on when I personally should be worried. Surely there's got to be something that works for anyone, and not only based on personal preference.
And the other thing, that is also true. I had forgotten about that. But I feel damage not only based on characteristics, but higher weapon QL = higher damage. That's the way my brain has been wired by other games based off of that mechanic(like Borderlands, and WoW).

Edited by Benie

6 minutes ago, Benie said:

That's true, but I want a 'baseline' on when I personally should be worried. Surely there's got to be something that works for anyone, and not only based on personal preference.
And the other thing, that is also true. I had forgotten about that. But I feel damage not only based on characteristics, but higher weapon QL = higher damage. That's the way my brain has been wired by other games based off of that mechanic(like Borderlands, and WoW).

Yes, weapon QL also affects damage, I wasn't trying to say that it doesn't. Sorry, if my previous post left that impression. :)

When my armour or sword QL drops to 70, ill start imping. Im used to fight with good QL swords and QL70 sword feels like fighting with butter knife.

Well, all I'm asking is a 'baseline'. As said above, they feel 70QL is theirs. Yet 70QL to me is my "that's high enough, anymore and I feel I'm asking too much" level.

I want to know beforehand, (like 50 or 40QL when I'll start having issues when I wouldn't before). Yet this baseline can't be set too low, or I'll feel I'm constantly dishing out silver for repairs(because I'm too lazy/stubborn to sit infront of a forge for months on end(it'll feel like it) to grind my metal-manipulating skills up to 70+).

49 minutes ago, Benie said:

That's true, but I want a 'baseline' on when I personally should be worried. 

It's a personal preference, tbh.... which typically derives from your skillset. 

For instance, I could run around with a 40ql sword and still kill all the trolls that I see. Doesn't mean that I would ever let my weapon drop down to such low ql, though.

Personally? I'm pompous enough to tell myself that with the amount of time I've put into this game and my skillset, anything less than 80ql is "beneath me" and is basically trash. It's not exactly true, but it's my "preference".

My general preference is weapons at least 80-85ql, plate at least 70ql.

As I can imp all my gear I keep my weapons above 85ql, shields and scale armour around 90ql, alt plate sets at around 80ql (reimping those plates when dropping below 75ql).

It seems most people's preference is 70QL being the minimum. That's interesting. Of course, when you got the skill, you don't hesitate to do it. Plus, you guys also have the Rift to tend to.

Guess, there really isn't any universal "warning" to re-imp or you're screwed. Well, there is, but that setting is just way too high for me. I was hoping for a 'lazy man's approach' to this. Seems I'm not going to get it, as it really doesn't exist.

That's unfortunate. Not really a fan of "find out for yourself" answers.

It shouldnt be difficult to find someone to imp your weapon to 80ql+ for 50c which is pretty cheap imo. Id say that you probably dont want to let it get down to 60ql before you want it imped. Below 70 ql you will start noticing a decline in in damage output, though it is very gradual and you will only notice if you keep track of the number of hits it takes to take each type of mob out at the various ages. If you get your armor and weapon imped to 80 and if you have LT cast on your weapon you will notice a pretty big difference as you should be able to handle trolls without having to back out to heal.

• Like 2

Hi Benie-

An important preventative measure to keep in mind is repair often - repairing itself causes additional damage especially at lower repair skill levels, and the more damage on the gear the more damage it will take due to effective ql reduction

• Like 1

I've always lived by the old rule of never let anything fall under 70ql.  Most the time I re-imp to 85ql when things are 75ql~

9 hours ago, Benie said:

Sometimes I swear lesser mobs line up to be slaughtered, because they know by doing so, my huge axe will eventually be useless.

I lack the means of re-imping my gear by myself. And even if I did, I feel being forced to go back home in order to re-imp(as I live on my own and actually enjoy doing so), is extremely frustrating and tedious (plus I lose days I could had been exploring during the Spring and Summer 'months'). I also fear the thought of having to pay someone tons of silver to re-imp my stuff.

This is one reason why in WO I don't like to go out hunting mobs. By that I mean that I will then need to mail off my armor or weapon to be re-imped, especially the weapon. So I mainly kill the pests that attempt to disrupt my enjoyment while going about my peaceful pursuits. Trolls, yea, I must kill them or they might bash down my off deed walls, otherwise I wouldn't be bothering with them either.

As for weapon QL, I remember reading somewhere that if it gets below 60QL it will no longer hit "deadly hard" and it will go to the next message level below that. Or maybe it is the "harms/damages" message, "damages" being the highest and less that 60 QL only "harms" the mob. On Wurmpedia under "Fighting" you will find some of this information.

=Ayes=

Edited by Ayes
add stuff

21 hours ago, McGarnicle said:

It shouldnt be difficult to find someone to imp your weapon to 80ql+ for 50c which is pretty cheap imo.

Yeah, that's reasonable for 80QL. But what about the rest of my armor? 50c per piece? That adds up to 5s on repairs in total (including my weapon).

That's a lot of money to be handing out everytime I need to re-imp. Just saying.

19 hours ago, Noiattaq said:

Hi Benie-

An important preventative measure to keep in mind is repair often - repairing itself causes additional damage especially at lower repair skill levels, and the more damage on the gear the more damage it will take due to effective ql reduction

Thank you for this advice. I shall do this for now on.

Dont fight against trolls because they destroy your gear and that seems to be your problem. I do almost daily 1-2 hrs hunting trips and wearing ql 75 studded. I imp my armour like every 2-3 months and pay to others to imp my sword. QL 90 drops to 70 in 3-4 months with my usage. Forage your coins for reimp or buy everytime new studded set (QL70) for 1S.

I tend to keep my armour between 85 and 90 and my weapon around 80 - 90.  As I can imp my armour myself, it tends to be in a constant state of being imped - I always carry the necessary bits for that.  I have a friend who imps my weapon, so that tends to rack up close to 20 damage, then I'll mend it; when it hits low 80s, it goes back for reimp.  If you travel a lot, for long periods, you might consider carrying a spare weapon or core armour bits (chest+legs+helmet, maybe) to allow you to go longer without imping.

Imp tools are much the same - for my high imp skills, I try to keep my tools around 92-95, but I can imp those myself.

Edited by Wonka

Armor seems to scale fairly well all the way up to 100 QL (so whatever is reasonably easy for you to imp up to), but I read there's a "soft cap" for weapons at 70QL. Basically that means up to 70 QL weapons have a significant improvement in effectiveness, but after 70 QL (EG 75QL, 80QL...100QL) your marginal gains are pretty small.

I vaguely recall someone quoting Rolf(?) that a 70QL weapon is 95% as effective as a 100QL weapon. So depending on how much damage you expect to rack up on your weapon, have the correspondingly high QL.

If you let your weapon take up to 10 damage, then you'll need a 77.77QL weapon. 20 damage is 87.5...30 damage is 100QL (not really feasible).

So in short, armor as high as reasonable (70-80 is mostly fine). Weapons you want effective quality to be at 70 or above.

Thanks for sharing that with this thread. Interesting read. Really interesting.

I think you will find most players consider 70 to be a baseline for a minimum quality for gear.