Sign in to follow this  
Propheteer

Deer

Apologies if someone already made this, but, has anyone noticed a lack of deer in the game for the past couple months?

I play on Chaos and, i don't think i've seen an actual deer in many many months. I mean, i've seen deer recently but they aren't the normal deer they are the ones spawned during some event named like  [21:52:08] The aged Great Horned Geese is dead. R.I.P.

Anyone else notice a similar phenomenon? Is it intended?

In my tabs hunting religiously 5+ hours every other day, i've killed only six deer in the past four months, five/six being in November.

Edited by Propheteer

Wasn't there a reduction on spawns of bison, deer, etc. awhile back? I'll try to find it.

12 minutes ago, Joelle said:

Wasn't there a reduction on spawns of bison, deer, etc. awhile back? I'll try to find it.

If you do manage to find this, and this is the case, i think it mightve been overtuned for deer.

Bison are just fine from my experience, but, deer are basically extinction level spawn rates. I'm pretty sure ive seen more deer in real life per month than i see in wurm at this point.

Edited by Propheteer
  • Like 1

Well, the post I was thinking of was this one, and unfortunately I didn't remember correctly, because it doesn't mention anything about deer. I have no idea what would be causing the decrease in deer spawns, I'm sorry.

On 6/24/2016 at 8:28 AM, Retrograde said:

We have reduced the percentage of certain creatures (bison, dog, rooster, pheasant and hen) and increased the percentage of horses. This will mean there's some breathing room for wild horses to spawn.

After the champion deer at arachnadelphia was killed, they stopped spawning

• Like 2

They're hard to find. I really wish there was more spawn diversity. I would also really like for them to return "lairs" for every type of animal. No idea why they were taken out but that permanently removed many animal conditions from the game.

• Like 3

It's probably the same old problem with the spawning system that was never really fixed.

Creatures either spawn from lairs or from a biome-based system. The problem is that lair-spawns far outweigh biome spawns, and once the server is getting close to it's creature cap, biome spawns are reduced to almost nothing.

Deer don't have a lair (anymore, there used to be one ages ago but it was disabled), so they can only come from biome based spawns... and if those aren't happening - you will barely get any deer. Same thing with wild horses - Indy used to have the same problem with none spawning, though that got "fixed" with the reduced population and people moving to Xanadu.

The other side of that problem is the disbalance in the creature caps on different sized servers.

Most 2048²-sized servers (deli, exo, cele, etc.) have a cap of ~26k creatures giving them a creature density of 0.0061 (creatures per tile)

Xanadu is somewhat worse off, as it gets ~294k creatures per 8192² tiles - giving a density of 0.0043

Chaos and Indy are twice worse with ~48k creatures per 4096² - giving a density if 0.0028

• Like 1

I see them spawning on some WU servers without problem. Better coding there maybe.

=Ayes=

Proph sucks I found 3 on HoTA by meth 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MetalDragon said:

did they ever fix the unicorn spawns

ive seen less unicorns than i have deer

who cares about deer then, unicorns are a more urgent issue than deers, who misses those godly champion unicorns. The best times were when champs had large (or tiny) models, seeing a champ unicorn or troll in the distance meant good huntin.

The last time I saw a wild champ unicorn must be 4-5 years ago.

Edited by MetalDragon

Shortages like this occurred on Chaos off and on over the years.

Weren't deer on the list of "aggresive creatures may now seek out prey and chase them down" aka deer die way more often?

• Like 1

I've noticed very few deer on central Xanadu, seen maybe 3 in 6 months, tons of cows and bulls tho. Not seen a unicorn in years...btw

Anyone who wants deer or unicorns on Chaos should join the cause of getting the programming changed so that animals can be taken across server borders. Then I will personally breed champion deer and unicorns from my collection on Exodus and give them to anyone on any server who wants them :)

You can +1 my post about it here: 

Edited by Attenia