Sign in to follow this  
Bellatrixx

new laptop wont install wurm at all

Hello

Just purchased a new laptop today.  Asus running Vvidia gforce 950m.  Has windows 10 and I have Java 8 installed 64 bit.  I go to wurm online hit play and it puts the client in the download folder from there i hit open and it will not pop up....i get a glimpse of a flicker of it trying to open but it will not.  i have shut off firewall and did all updates to computer.  I even installed google chrome and tried that and still will not open.  Any ideas?

Some more system information would help as well in understanding the issue.  A good look at the hardware, software, and all it's configuration can illuminate things.

Since we know the laptop is an ASUS with GeForce950M & Win10, that narrows the field down to fairly robust hardware with modern cpu ram and graphics.  

First two things i would try: 

1)  Most newer laptops with gaming graphics are using OPTIMUS a system to save battery life by using INTEL integrated graphics when non-games are run. These programs do NOT recognize any java programs as "games" and instead classify java as a "desktop app" and switch to low battery power mode. So bets are it is NOT using your nice gaming card. That may or it may not be the issue, so let's at least eliminate it as a possibility. Look for the NVIDIA GRAPHICS CONTROL PANEL and once there, look for MANAGE 3D SETTINGS switch to GLOBAL SETTINGS tab and switch to "Always use high performance nvidia" or words like that -- it should look similar to the image in the spoiler tags though different driver version may be slightly different :

OOfnr.png

If that fixes it, but you do not want to use the gaming card all the time to conserve battery, we will go through some more steps to use it only for Wurm.

2)  However the launcher should be running even if you are not using the NVidia card, so lets try another step too.  Try downloading the file again by right-click and saving the install file from here  and choose "save file as" to C;\Wurm or  C:\GAMES\WURM   (you'll need to create the folder when it asks where to save) and then run the JNLP file from there instead of the normal download location.  It's possible that Win10 considers the downloads a "protected system location" and has higher restrictions there (I am a dum-dum on Win10 issues so that may be wrong.) Itt'ds usually better to run games out of a different location that Windows is less protective about. I do not think that is the issue else every win10 user would have this issue, it's just kind of "what i would try next".

3)  It's possible you need to run-as-administrator but since i am not good with Win10, I might need to read a little more on how to do that with JNLP webstart files. so try first the above two suggestions. Maybe someone else here knows. 

4) Also,, look for the console.charactername.log  file Explora mentioned, likely in the wurm folder, if you cannot find it try typing your wurm character name into SEARCH and see if the file pops up.  HOWEVER since the game window vanishes BEFORE you type in a character name, that file likely does not exist.

5) it's also possible when you told windows to install all updates that it replaced the laptop's specialized graphics driver with a generic microsoft one that does not support JAVA/OpenGL games well, so see if you can find your LAPTOP MODEL and I will help track down the correct graphics driver. 

You can also try the ASUS SUPPORT PAGE and they should be able to locate the driver here:  https://www.asus.com/us/support/

Edited by Brash_Endeavors