Sign in to follow this  
Anarres

Ship unlocks when crossing servers

I remember this is an older bug, now apparently back.

Today, on Release, I embarked the sailboat of a friend, on which I have all permissions, manage, drive, passenger, access hold:

[17:20:16] The "SS Minnow" does not have a course plotted.

[17:20:16] A small sailing boat that will accommodate five people. It is locked with a lock of very poor quality. It is made from cherrywood. It could be improved with a log. Ql: 68.46976, Dam: 0.0. The name of the owner, Elizarya, has been etched in the stern.

[17:20:16] You can barely make out the signature of its maker,  'Eliz.r.a'.

Sailed it on Deli and Indy.

[17:43:45] You drift away on the "SS Minnow".

[17:43:46] Welcome back, Amath! Deliverance has been waiting for you.

[17:45:00] You drift away on the "SS Minnow".

[17:45:01] Welcome back, Amath! Wurm has been waiting for you.

Then I examined it:

[17:50:20] The "SS Minnow" does not have a course plotted.
[17:50:20] A small sailing boat that will accommodate five people. It has a lock of very poor quality, which is unlocked. It is made from cherrywood. It could be improved with a log. Ql: 68.46976, Dam: 0.0. The name of the owner, Elizarya, has been etched in the stern.
[17:50:20] You can barely make out the signature of its maker,  'Eliz.r.a'.

I also note I have no ability to lock it, there is no option to lock, despite that I have manage ship permissions. (I think I recall when vehicles changed so that only owner can lock, but that was when they had no lock at all. Now since it has a lock and applies permissions, perhaps "Manage Ship" should give me the ability. Otherwise I'm essentially powerless on this.)

I don't know if I had the option to unlock when it was locked, I think not. In any case, I don't find anything else in the log.

Now that I perused all logs for locked/unlocked, I find out that my knarr has also become unlocked out of the blue. Sometime in February.

First examines in February show it locked:

[20:12:14] Commander: Amath.
[20:12:14] The "Young Angry Knarr" does not have a course plotted.
[20:12:14] It has a clinker-built hull assembled with iron rivets and one mast with a square yard sail. At insufficient wind it is rowed with oars. The side rudder is on the starboard side. Colors: R=128, G=28, B=28. It is locked with a lock of poor quality. It is made from cedarwood. You will want to polish the "Young Angry Knarr" with a pelt to improve it. Ql: 73.54255, Dam: 0.0. The name of the owner, Amath, has been etched in the stern.
[20:12:14] You can barely make out the signature of its maker,  'Amath'.

After one of MANY server crossings that I've made in this knarr, suddenly it shows as unlocked:

Logging started 2017-02-13

From Release to Deli, a plotted crossing, just like above, logs show:

[17:52:01] You drift away on the "Young Angry Knarr".

[17:52:02] Welcome back, Amath! Deliverance has been waiting for you.

[17:59:22] Commander: Amath.
[17:59:22] The "Young Angry Knarr" does not have a course plotted.
[17:59:22] It has a clinker-built hull assembled with iron rivets and one mast with a square yard sail. At insufficient wind it is rowed with oars. The side rudder is on the starboard side. Colors: R=128, G=28, B=28. It has a lock of poor quality, which is unlocked. It is made from cedarwood. You must use a mallet on the "Young Angry Knarr" in order to improve it. Ql: 73.528625, Dam: 0.0. The name of the owner, Amath, has been etched in the stern.
[17:59:22] You can barely make out the signature of its maker,  'Amath'.

One of the many crossings means exactly what it says. Like a few or several every few days, or who knows. I can't imagine why the crossing that day (February 13th apparently!) should cause it, and many others didn't.

I do note that it seems that logs show "unlocked" for the knarr after one plotted crossing. For the sailboat, I didn't examine it on Deli, and the Deli>Inde crossing was unplotted. It may have been unlocked during the same plotted Release>Deli crossing, but I can't tell.

This is a major issue, and I hope it can be looked at as soon as possible.

Edited by Anarres

Looking in my logs for "which is unlocked", I find a new one:

Logging started 2017-04-22

[17:55:23] You head out to sea.

[17:55:23] Welcome back, Amath! Deliverance has been waiting for you.

[18:02:10] It has a clinker-built hull assembled with iron rivets and one mast with a square yard sail. At insufficient wind it is rowed with oars. The side rudder is on the starboard side. Colors: R=128, G=28, B=28. It has a lock of poor quality, which is unlocked. It is made from cedarwood. It could be improved with a log. Ql: 90.11816, Dam: 0.0. The name of the owner, Amath, has been etched in the stern.

No other occurrence in March, April, May so far. This one is from April.

Later, it is locked again (I did not lock it back). It looks like there's some periodic or delayed task running, checking ships and locking them back, when they've become unlocked... Why is such delayed solution necessary, isn't it better to just "pass" the ship on the new server with all its characteristics from the start?

I can't tell when it got "miraculously" locked again, it always does though. It could be relevant. The problem with the timing is, do they stay unlocked enough time for a realistic risk on assets inside? I think that in the case of the sailboat above, yes, it did stay unlocked too long: I was at shore with it, and it was still unlocked, I walked on shore doing stuff for a while and it was still unlocked. Please remember I was not able to lock it back. I can't tell when exactly it became locked again, but I would say that there was enough time for items to be at risk.