Sign in to follow this  
Yldrania

Gender Swap, Is There Any Hope?

Heya,

Well, I'm just going to ask. I've asked in CA before and been told that it's not possible, but I know that there used to be a command that makes it possible and I figure if the game mechanic exists, it is worth asking about here: 

Years ago when I made my main character Yldrania, I missed that I had to choose the gender on the website registration and left it on its standard setting: Male. Now, the character is obviously female and has been male for years. I was wondering if in such situations there is any hope of receiving support in changing the gender to what its supposed to be? 

(I only realized that it had the wrong gender after I'd prem'ed it, otherwise I'd have waited till it gets deleted and recreated it.)

• Like 1

If You were famous blogger or youtuber they would. Otherwise no candies for common players.

On a serious note, it's just a game, with pixels and data. Why just not change someone's gender if player would feel better after that, would enjoy game more?

Of course, after that change there would be more players who would like the same, but again, why not? Just limit it to 1-2 times for every account and move on.

It's just a game.

• Like 3

TBH I think it should be built into the mirror that you get at the beginning.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, SmeJack said:

GMs are not surgeons sorry

The mechanic is in the game. You used to be able to change gender, and you aren't anymore since the command doesn't work anymore. However, the mechanic should still exist so in valid cases a swap should be possible - no hurtful sarcasm needed in response to the question :)

Just now, SmeJack said:

No hurtful sarcasm, we can not do this.

Fair enough! An answer is an answer :D Thank you anyways. 

8 hours ago, aikainnet said:

TBH I think it should be built into the mirror that you get at the beginning.

+1

• Like 1

In Golden Valley Help channel I've talked with a few players who got quite upset when I explained they could no longer change gender. If it used to be possible I can't see why useful functionality was removed.

Adding it to the mirror would help new people but would exclude characters that have used theirs already.

• Like 2

Honestly, years ago it wasn't that big a deal. There were only two ways a character could look anyways... it didn't matter too too much whether that was the female or the male version. However, with all the grahical enhancements and stuff, I have grown very fond of cosmetics and I'd just love to be able to make my character look cool the way it's intended and I do have to admit that it is somewhat disappointing that not even in a case where the character's gender by name has obviously been set to differ from the one that was accidentally chosen during character creation, GM's can't help to swap the gender to what it's supposed to be. For me, all the more disappointing because I know there used to be such an option, which means that "it's impossible" isn't a valid response since the mechanic is obviously in the game.

I will accept SmeJack's response, but that does not mean I agree with it.

Edited by Yldrania

There are so many opportunities for paid services in wurm like this. Silver for new hand mirrors, gender changes, euros for a name change. Rolf must have the mental fortitude of a monk not to take advantage.

13 minutes ago, Yldrania said:

I will accept SmeJack's response, but that does not mean I agree with it.

No offense against Sme (I've always liked her), but she's a GM... not a developer. With her current GM tools, she can not help. But the mechanic did exist at one point and most likely did not get entirely removed from the code, so there's a chance someone on the development side can reinstate it again.... if you beg, whine and cry enough. :P

Personally, I don't see the issue with cosmetic changes such gender swaps or anything that you can change with a mirror. Let the players change that stuff on a whim.

36 minutes ago, Explora said:

Adding it to the mirror would help new people but would exclude characters that have used theirs already.

Mirrors should not disappear after use anyway. What should happen is that every character without a mirror should have one spawned in their inventory. Mirrors should be unlimited use, with the option to change gender.

1 minute ago, As_I_Decay said:

No offense against Sme (I've always liked her), but she's a GM... not a developer. With her current GM tools, she can not help. But the mechanic did exist at one point and most likely did not get entirely removed from the code, so there's a chance someone on the development side can reinstate it again.... if you beg, whine and cry enough. :P

Personally, I don't see the issue with cosmetic changes such gender swaps or anything that you can change with a mirror. Let the players change that stuff on a whim.

Mirrors should not disappear after use anyway. What should happen is that every character without a mirror should have one spawned in their inventory. Mirrors should be unlimited use, with the option to change gender.

At this point I'd even be happy with a one-time-per-account option to change gender with support of a GM if valid reason is provided. However, with the amount of accounts that have gender neutral names and the amount of account sales in the game, it would make sense for players to be able to change genders with commands in chat again as it used to be.

There are no tools for a GM to change gender, gender could be changed via database edits but its pretty extreme a case so it's not something we'll be offering. The /gofemale mechanic was created when female avatars were implemented (no girls on wurm before then!) and is incredibly outdated and is an obsolete mechanic.

Does the ability to do so have merit? Yes.

Could it be implemented at a later date? Sure.

Is there a way to have it done now? No.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, As_I_Decay said:

No offense against Sme (I've always liked her), but she's a GM... not a developer.

I'm totally taking offence to your inoffensive statement! :wub:

Alas it is true though, I am not a developer nor smart enough to be. For the question at hand though this is the community help for what is possible, perhaps you could try the suggestion forum for what isn't possible.

• Like 3

The functionality (at least he male -> female side of it) is still there, it's simply disabled. Re-enabling it and adding a female -> male counterpart would literally take 10 seconds for any server dev.

private void handleMessageGoFemale() {
        if (Servers.localServer.testServer) {
            if (this.player.getSex() == 1) {
                this.sendSafeServerMessage("You are already female.");
            }
            else {
                final FemaleQuestion fem = new FemaleQuestion(this.player, "Changing sex", "Do you want to become female?");
                fem.sendQuestion();
            }
        }
        else {
            this.sendSafeServerMessage("This command no longer works.");
        }
    }

• Like 6

Well, there's a suggestions thread for this up now to avoid further discussion in the wrong board :)