Sign in to follow this  
Ragozzo

Wurm unlimited won't start launcher.

since MINECRAFT started working after adding the laptop graphic drivers, I want to rule out whether WURM would have worked but something else was changed (java path etc) 

wurm and minecraft tend to have a lotr in common so i was disappointed it did not fix both ....

Edited by Brash_Endeavors
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Brash_Endeavors said:

since MINECRAFT started working after adding the laptop graphic drivers, I want to rule out whether WURM would have worked but something else was changed (java path etc) 

wurm and minecraft tend to have a lotr in common so i was disappointed it did not fix both ....

Well I just did a fresh install of WURM but it's still not running

[Runtime]
OverrideDefaultJavaPath=false
JavaPath=
[Memory]
InitialHeap=512m
MaxHeapSize=2048m
[VMParams]
JvmParam0=-XX:+AggressiveOpts

that's my current launch config.

Edited by Ragozzo

when you reformatted and reinstalled windows and steam, did you have steam folders backed up and did they all go back to the exact same locations  as before? Were you using DRIVE D: before?

Have you checked yet whether there might be any other STEAM games having issues besides Wurm?

Are you launching wurm from steam library or from the wurm folder (Wurmlsauncer/Wurmclient.exe), try launching from inside the wurm folder if you were using steam library or steam shortcut 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Brash_Endeavors said:

when you reformatted and reinstalled windows and steam, did you have steam folders backed up and did they all go back to the exact same locations as before? 

Have you checked yet whether there might be any other STEAM games having issues besides Wurm?

Are you launching wurm from steam library or from the wurm folder (Wurmlsauncer/Wurmclient.exe), try launching from inside the wurm folder if you were using steam library or steam shortcut 

Everything went back where it went all other steam games work perfectly Steam and games are actually on another drive that's external.

Lauching from either place doesn't matter.

Hmm I am running out of ideas to try =/ I might take a break and think about it then check back later

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Brash_Endeavors said:

Hmm I am running out of ideas to try =/ I might take a break and think about it then check back later

Thanks for trying!

Always works out that the one game you WANT to play doesn't work :(

I would reinstall steam.... may be the OS does not have the registry info to start up the game properly.

Just make sure you use the same install path you used previously. D:/games/steam/common/

Just in case you dont just copy the steamapps folder from the old directy to the new. And then reverify your games via steam.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bigsteve said:

I would reinstall steam.... may be the OS does not have the registry info to start up the game properly.

Just make sure you use the same install path you used previously. D:/games/steam/common/

Just in case you dont just copy the steamapps folder from the old directy to the new. And then reverify your games via steam.

Trying this now RIP library good thing i have decent enough internet to re download all my games haha.

It would've taken too long to move them out and back and such so i'm just deleting it all.

Well that didn't work.

Edited by Ragozzo

are you using any new firewall/security/antivirus/proxy programs, perhaps something that allowed wurm before but not now, or a different brand/updated version. I seem to recall a program named Watchguard that periodically gave people issues. It just didn't like Wurm for some reason. Others in the past reported issues with AVG or Kaspersky blocking Wurm.  

Do you feel comfortable disabling such for a two minute test.

Usually the basic generic windows firewall & antivirus don;t have issues with wurm so maybe use those instead just during the test.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Brash_Endeavors said:

are you using any new firewall/security/antivirus/proxy programs, perhaps something that allowed wurm before but not now, or a different brand/updated version. I seem to recall a program named Watchguard that periodically gave people issues. It just didn't like Wurm for some reason. Others in the past reported issues with AVG or Kaspersky blocking Wurm.  

Do you feel comfortable disabling such for a two minute test.

Usually the basic generic windows firewall & antivirus don;t have issues with wurm so maybe use those instead just during the test.

None of that is on or anything like that. i tried uninstalling steam and putting on my C drive to see if that worked and it didn't.

I am pretty much grasping at straws now, but try going to STEAM LIBRARY, right-click WURM select PROPERTIES  then check these:

1. Under GENERAL make sure SET LAUNCH OPTIONS is blank (in case you had some java parameters there before that were saved through multiple reinstalls)
  2. Under LOCAL FILES click BROWSE LOCAL FILES and make sure it is looking in the right location for wurm
  3. Under LOCAL FILES BROWSE check RUNTIME/BIN and make sure javaw and javaws are in there, my steam-wurm-java files have file dates of 2/07/2017 though I am not sure if that means everyone else does too
  4. I assume VERIFY INTEGRITY OF GAME FILES was tried but if not click that too (even though you reinstalled it 97 times)
  5. if you have a WURM SHORTCUT on desktop, see if rightclicking mentions any options about launching with nvidia

I am assuming that reformatting the hard drive had nothing to do with wurm not working and that it ran great till after reinstalling the OS

• Like 1

Yeah it worked fine before the format.

Trying other stuff.

Everything is there in the right place integrity of game is fine and launching with nvidia didn't work.

Edited by Ragozzo

has it ever been hooked up to any sort of bigscreen 4k tv type monitor, or do you always use the regular laptop monitor?

my other thought was if the launcher somehow got pushed/dragged "offscreen" but then you would at least be having a wurm process showing up in the task manager, and I think you checked that already

I am again out of ideas but i will again brood over it and come back if anything else occurs to me, hopefully one of the wurm client developers might spot this and have an idea

(if it is still not working tomorrow, if it were me i would probably start PMing select devs as they don't always read every forum post, and two days without Wurm is about my max tolerance)

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Brash_Endeavors said:

has it ever been hooked up to any sort of bigscreen 4k tv type monitor, or do you always use the regular laptop monitor?

my other thought was if the launcher somehow got pushed/dragged "offscreen" but then you would at least be having a wurm process showing up in the task manager, and I think you checked that already

I am again out of ideas but i will again brood over it and come back if anything else occurs to me, hopefully one of the wurm client developers might spot this and have an idea

(if it is stiull not working tomorrow, if it were me i would probably start PMing select devs as they don;t always read every forum postm and two days without Wurm is about my max tolerance)

Alright thanks anyway!

I'll pm them cause I already took about a 2 week break and i'm ready to get back into it and start playing again but now this haha.

Thanks again for the time you put in to help!

• Like 1

Jeesh, is brash cant help...

what versions of java do you have?

and do you have any firewalls running?

6 minutes ago, Retrograde said:

Jeesh, is brash cant help...

what versions of java do you have?

and do you have any firewalls running?

No firewalls and jre1.8.0_121

No console log being created indicates it's not even properly launching the game, tyhe console log is the first thing that's done.

if you go to the control panel, click on java, and then java tab > view, does only one version show?

So i have no idea what the hell the problem was but i reformatted again just to check and see if it would work and it's working again. I did absolutely nothing different than I did the last time but it runs fine now.

Thanks everyone for trying to help sorry to all the devs and staff that I pmd trying to get help I was probably pretty annoying!

Edited by Ragozzo

I am glad it eventually got working, that would have driven me bonkers if i could not connect to Wurm !!

I would probably run an extended disk health check on both the main hard drive and the external "games" drive just as a precaution, in case it was saving some information to a bad area. 

14 minutes ago, Brash_Endeavors said:

I am glad it eventually got working, that would have driven me bonkers if i could not connect to Wurm !!

I would probably run an extended disk health check on both the main hard drive and the external "games" drive just as a precaution, in case it was saving some information to a bad area. 

I think something went wrong in the last format and caused an issue.