Sign in to follow this  
MrBronzev

WURM IN UE4? DEVS!

I do not know if this is the right place so please move the thread if it isn't, but this is a suggestion.

UE4 stands Unreal Engine 4 which is a suite of integrated tools for game developers to design and build games, simulations, and visualizations. Very many companies use it to make Their awesome games.
Sooo, what do I want to say by this? Well, I want WURM into Unreal Engine 4! Imagine the graphic and probably how much more people That would buy / play the game. I'm not saying it is bad graphic now, just want a tiny improvement. I would love a new better looking and more beginner friendly interface which you can edit to your liking, and have more advanced features for those who have played the game for a long time. I know I'm asking for a completely new engine which could take some time to build. But in the end I think it would make a big profit.

This is just a wish and I will still play the game even if this wish wouldn't come true.

31 minutes ago, MrBronzev said:

I would love a new better looking and more beginner friendly interface which you can edit to your liking, and have more advanced features for those who have played the game for a long time. I know I'm asking for a completely new engine which could take some time to build. But in the end I think it would make a big profit. 

I don't think they need a new engine in order to make an improved user interface.

as much as I would like to see this game on a better engine, it would take them years to do, as it's a big project to consider, voting this one down because it's just not going to happen

I think many people don't really understand just what the Wurm engine handles, UE4 and other engines make pretty static environments, and be completely unable to handle the terraforming and streaming at the level wurm does.

Engines aren't just visual

• Like 9

-1 , play ability is a lot more important than looks. I just want a 3rd person camera and be all G .

This is a very pointless suggestion, because a game can't simply be switched from one engine to another.

Before beginning the process of creating a game, developers choose the engine according to the features they need for their game and the image they have in mind of how it's supposed to look in the end. UE4 is an amazing engine and looks great, but games like Wurm just don't fit into that category of games that UE4 could improve. It has a different set of features and if you look at it from the perspective of a professional in the video game industry, the Wurm team has chosen the perfect engine for the purpose of this game. 

Even so, if the suggestion was indeed valid and UE4 could improve the Wurm experience, this would still not be possible. In order to switch the engine, the game would have to be completely re-done. It would be a completely new game which would require all the work that has been done on the current engine to be rewritten for the new one. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Yldrania said:

This is a very pointless suggestion, because a game can't simply be switched from one engine to another.

Before beginning the process of creating a game, developers choose the engine according to the features they need for their game and the image they have in mind of how it's supposed to look in the end. UE4 is an amazing engine and looks great, but games like Wurm just don't fit into that category of games that UE4 could improve. It has a different set of features and if you look at it from the perspective of a professional in the video game industry, the Wurm team has chosen the perfect engine for the purpose of this game. 

Even so, if the suggestion was indeed valid and UE4 could improve the Wurm experience, this would still not be possible. In order to switch the engine, the game would have to be completely re-done. It would be a completely new game which would require all the work that has been done on the current engine to be rewritten for the new one. 

That's why I wrote "which could take some time to build" Well, It will always be a wish tho. Because as you said, it's an amazing engine.

5 hours ago, Bramson said:

-1 , play ability is a lot more important than looks. I just want a 3rd person camera and be all G .

Well, everyone has their own opinion when it comes to games, that's your and i respect that :)

6 hours ago, Brash_Endeavors said:

I don't think they need a new engine in order to make an improved user interface.

Nah but lets say they use UE4, that would be one of the things to improve because it's very unfriendly right now :P 

5 hours ago, Retrograde said:

I think many people don't really understand just what the Wurm engine handles, UE4 and other engines make pretty static environments, and be completely unable to handle the terraforming and streaming at the level wurm does.

Engines aren't just visual

Hm, I don't know about that, there is many games that uses UE3-4 and has very smooth fps :)

6 hours ago, ozmods said:

as much as I would like to see this game on a better engine, it would take them years to do, as it's a big project to consider, voting this one down because it's just not going to happen

If they have a small team Yes. But if they recruit more people, that could eventually happen.

Nope.  It's not a matter of 'switching', it's basically rebuilding the game from scratch in a new engine.  If you want it, the code is available as WU; feel free to go implement it yourself, but please, let the WO devs stick to actual useful changes instead of disappearing down the rabbit hole of whatever the latest thing in DIY game dev is.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, MrBronzev said:

That's why I wrote "which could take some time to build" Well, It will always be a wish tho. Because as you said, it's an amazing engine.

Well, everyone has their own opinion when it comes to games, that's your and i respect that :)

Nah but lets say they use UE4, that would be one of the things to improve because it's very unfriendly right now :P 

Hm, I don't know about that, there is many games that uses UE3-4 and has very smooth fps :)

If they have a small team Yes. But if they recruit more people, that could eventually happen.

Your responses clearly indicate that you didn't understand mine or anyone else's point, neither do you understand what you are suggesting. Your suggestion isn't to make a change with Wurm, it's a suggestion to make a new game LIKE Wurm using the Unreal Engine. This CAN NOT happen, because it is not possible. Anyone with even a basic understanding of engines will tell you the same exact thing. You can not just "copy paste" a game into a new engine - you have to build a completely new game from scratch to do so.

• Like 3

Asking to switch engines on a game this old is like asking to switch the frame of a house that's been built for 20 years.

You can't just swap it out for a different one, you'd have to pretty much redesign the entire game with the new engine in mind.

• Like 1

Believe the Devs stated many times that they are working on updating the engine to use more modern shaders and other graphical enhancements so the game would look a lot better

16 hours ago, enoofu said:

Believe the Devs stated many times that they are working on updating the engine to use more modern shaders and other graphical enhancements so the game would look a lot better

yes I saw this ages ago.

i'm more interested in them adding things to the game that will make it more enjoyable, not just "pretty" #replayability

Not so much a matter of age as its like trying to cram a potato into a tomato.

Naw, the Wurm *engine* is quite an old an reliable one. Just needs a bit of a tune-up now and then and it continues to putter on down the road at its snail's pace. Maybe get out and push it uphill now and then?

=Ayes=

Edited by Ayes
guess