Sign in to follow this  
Ayluin

Appearing Offline/Disable Server Crossing Messages

It's been awhile since this suggestion was made so I thought I'd bring it up. I would like to see the option to Appear Offline as a profile setting. Occasionally we all have something we're attempting to get done only to be interrupted by PM's asking for help from someone we befriended. This isn't so much of an issue, you can always say no, but sometimes for the sake of others' feelings it would be nice to just go about your business in solitude and have the option to appear online and receive PM's when you want. Disabling PM's from friends through the profile just makes it awkward. 

My second part on this is probably more agreeable to the majority of Wurm's playerbase. With plotting courses allowing us to now manipulate getting across servers quicker, please give the user the option to hide friend server crossings/login/logout in the Event window. Not only does it irritate the majority of people for someone who is friends with a frequent traveler, but I've actually heard of occurrences where people were removed from someone's friend's list just because of the amount they travel and the annoyance of the messages. It clutters up logs as well. 

An alternate suggestion is if we could keep that logging strictly to the friends tab. This is a snippet of just a fraction of the server hopping I did today:

30c08bf0b25d456991ec723bf0a9de22.png

14 messages in a minute about who was logged in where. I started receiving PM's asking what sort of mission I was on today, and even skype messages asking what the heck was wrong with me?

"[17:51:38] Ayluin has logged in on Celebration.
[18:05:22] Ayluin has logged in on Deliverance.
[18:06:30] Ayluin has logged in on Exodus.
[18:08:33] Ayluin has logged in on Celebration.
[18:28:35] Ayluin has logged in on Exodus.
[18:44:05] Ayluin has logged in on Deliverance.
[18:45:46] Ayluin has logged in on Celebration.

Are you ok?"

In conclusion, I would like the ability on Freedom to be able to go full appear offline. But at the very least, I would love to see some cleanup on the logged in/logged out/lost link part of the game. More options. I know it might not be what everyone wants, but if it's an option, then I don't really see a drawback on Freedom.

Lol. I just wanted to make sure you weren't just afk sailing somehow, sorry for pestering you on Skype.

+1 to the suggestion though. I've actually had people delete me from friends for too many event log "Joelle has logged in on ____" spam in the past.

If you don't want someone to know what you're doing, then they are not your friend.

• Like 1

I think I've told every person on my friends list at least once that I'm to busy to talk.   Or that I'm just on to do a couple things so can't help them. They're all grownups so they can take that without having their feelings hurt.   ANd well, if their feelings are hurt, they have the wrong guy on their FL.
Attempting to hide from someone by pretending to be offline is more rude then simply telling someone you don't have time to talk.

There is no reason for this.  

I guess we all just use friends lists for different things. I use it not only for friends but to also see if particular imping folks are online so I can get business done quickly. I get your point, but it doesn't really address the issue of the spam that comes from being online and travelling.

• Like 1

The multiple warning thing is a bit annoying when I have arrived at the edge I'd like to cross. That said, it has kept me from crossing without meaning to while tacking, so I am not so sure I'd want to get rid of it.

One might say "Well if you've plotted the course to where you want it go then it doesn't matter, right?" Nope. There is a huge difference between crossing at the northern edge and the eastern edge, especially when you are going to Xanadu.

True, one could just cross back over, but why when there should have been warning messages?

Edited by drvst
error correction

39 minutes ago, drvst said:

The multiple warning thing is a bit annoying when I have arrived at the edge I'd like to cross. That said, it has kept me from crossing without meaning to while tacking, so I am not so sure I'd want to get rid of it.

One might say "Well if you've plotted the course to where you want it go then it doesn't matter, right?" Nope. There is a huge difference between crossing at the northern edge and the eastern edge, especially when you are going to Xanadu.

True, one could just cross back over, but why when there should have been warning messages?

The suggestion isn't about the warning messages for the person crossing; it's the spam everyone on the person's friends list gets when they're hopping servers or having connection issues, etc.

1 hour ago, Joelle said:

The suggestion isn't about the warning messages for the person crossing; it's the spam everyone on the person's friends list gets when they're hopping servers or having connection issues, etc.

Read everything before you respond please. eg: "Disable Server Crossing Messages" :D

The border crossing message/warning is the part that appears in orange. Whenever you change servers you actually log in to that server. That is not a border crossing message, but a log-in message. The complaint seemed to me to be about both, and if it wasn't then it was poorly worded.  :P

Edited by drvst

On 2/19/2017 at 7:20 PM, Joelle said:

Lol. I just wanted to make sure you weren't just afk sailing somehow, sorry for pestering you on Skype.

+1 to the suggestion though. I've actually had people delete me from friends for too many event log "Joelle has logged in on ____" spam in the past.

On another note, if someone is so irritable that they'll unfriend you over you making a tab flash a few times, they are a special sort of drama crazy and probably are doing you a favor. lol

I meant the server crossing notifications for friends, not the repeated orange text. I'd rather have 4 orange messages about something I know I'm doing than upwards of 15-20 messages about every friend that happens to be online at the time. Perhaps it could have been worded better.

Edited by Ayluin
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, drvst said:

Read everything before you respond please. eg: "Disable Server Crossing Messages" :D

I did, and I've talked with Ayluin about the suggestion privately. I was simply clarifying what the root of the suggestion was.