Sign in to follow this  
NeeNee

Allow cross-server village alliance conversation

In this day of server border hopping, can we get the option to still talk to our village or alliance even when we are sailing abroad? If this is a technical issue, I get it, but it would be a nice option.

• Like 2

I agree that it's a great option, but I don't think that that is very easy to implement since villages are strictly server-bound. 

The problem is that deed membership is per-server.  So when you're not on your home server, you're not logged in, as far as your deed is concerned, which is why you don't get alliance chat.  You can be a member of a different deed on other servers, as well - how do you handle alliance chats if you're a member of different deeds on different servers?  Essentially, the system isn't designed for deed membership to cross over servers, and changing it opens a whole can of worms, so it probably won't change anytime soon.

• Like 1

they never should have let villages have the same names on different servers.  Doomed to cause issues.

I'm right now in 4 alliances on 4 servers :)

PS: what Pandalet and Yldrania said.

13 hours ago, Pandalet said:

The problem is that deed membership is per-server.  So when you're not on your home server, you're not logged in, as far as your deed is concerned, which is why you don't get alliance chat.  You can be a member of a different deed on other servers, as well - how do you handle alliance chats if you're a member of different deeds on different servers?  Essentially, the system isn't designed for deed membership to cross over servers, and changing it opens a whole can of worms, so it probably won't change anytime soon.

Well, I didn't mean that your deed membership would cross servers, simply that there was a way to talk to your group, while one or more of you might be on different servers. Like team chat, but that team is already defined. Just might be nice for those of us who are near-but-not-entirely hermits, or at least less social, to get to chat with the people we like, no matter where we are. 

• Like 1

In terms of UI, could have a separate tab for every ally and village, named either after them, or "Alliance - Exodus", "Alliance - Xanadu", etc. In case of too many tabs, a dropdown list could be an option

• Like 2

^^ I wasn't asking HOW to talk to my alliance from another server. This is a suggestion thread. 

I think the point being made above is that all this stuff is tied into deed membership, and that changing that would be a lot of work, so it's unlikely to happen.  Which seems reasonable, I guess.

the ability for you to be a member of a different village and alliance on each server is pretty cool, and what you are asking for is this to be dismantled just so you can chat with your friends while you travel around

if its that important you have discord, facebook, irc, teamspeak, mumble etc to stay in touch while you travel around wurm, as well as an alt staying behind

I do think it would be possible to create 'server tabs' for each server that has alliance/village/freedom chat, but do we really need that many more tabs

Edited by JakeRivers

not a bad idea, would be nice. or instead of saying "alliance-(server)" use the name of the alliance. 

anyhow: +1

I guess it would be ok provided we could turn the tabs off for each server. Its bad enough now with village, alliance, gl freedom, freedom. trade and help. If you have all them up and IRC the chat window is busy as hell already.