Sign in to follow this  
zigozag

Buff repairing

It's widely known that even with high level of Repairing skill one can never compete with a starter priest's Mend spell in repairing armour, weapons... Repairing ships also removes too much quality. While i've previously suggested decreasing difficulty of repairing aforementioned items (as well as some others i forgot about), there's another way to somehow make it fair:

Reduce quality loss upon repairing an item according to player's level in corresponding skill. Weaponsmiths will easily repair weapons, shipwrights will easily repair ships, and so on. All this along with the current influence of Repairing skill itself, without any nerfs of general Repairing.

I would suggest going as far as reducing quality loss for percentage equal to level in the corresponding skill, i.e. a Master Shieldsmith would repair shields 10 times better, and a Legendary Carpenter would never let his 99ql mallet lose any bit of quality ever again.

Concerning side effects, it would make improving after 80-85ql easier, which seems a strange issue currently:

Edited by zigozag
  • Like 1

As much as i like all the suggestions, i would have to disagree on this one.

Items and tools are already lasting too long compared to how easy some of the skills are to grind.

• Like 2

Repairing should not be equal to mending. It is fine as is. With the ql loss people actualy have something to do too.

It's hard to quantify how efficient repairing vs mending is, since the QL lost from repairing is dependent on both your repairing skill, the item's difficulty, and the item's rarity.

As far as tools go, picks are fairly difficult to repair.  Many tools are in single-digit difficulties, but picks are 20.  The results below would be even better for something like a hammer, which only has 10 difficulty.  Most weapons and armor are in the 30+ range, though, with dragon scale chestplates topping out at 65 difficulty.

At 1.0 repairing, a QL95 pickaxe with 20 damage loses ~8.786971161 QL when repaired.  You could think of this as 1.0 efficiency.

At 50.0 repairing, a QL95 pickaxe with 20 damage loses ~5.93279926 QL when repaired.  This would be equivalent to 1.481 efficiency.

At 70.0 repairing, a QL95 pickaxe with 20 damage loses ~3.607901047 QL when repaired.  This would be equivalent to 2.435 efficiency.

At 90.0 repairing, a QL95 pickaxe with 20 damage loses ~2.127374251 QL when repaired.  This would be equivalent to 4.13 efficiency.

At 99.0 repairing, a QL95 pickaxe with 20 damage loses ~1.77123772 QL when repaired.  This would be equivalent to 4.960921428 efficiency.

At 99.99999615 ("100") repairing, a QL95 pickaxe with 20 damage loses ~1.723018725 QL when repaired.  This would be equivalent to 5.099753725 efficiency.

Since rare items lose half as much QL when repaired, somewhere around 70 repairing skill is the threshold where it is more efficient to repair a rare pick than to mend it, and that skill requirement would be even lower for a supreme pick.  The only rare items that Mend is always best are high-quality, difficult items like plate & the dragon armors.

I don't think repairing needs a buff, it is already an all-purpose efficiency improvement.  With high repairing skill, your equipment stays in good condition longer, and when you do have a maintenance session, you can restore the item's QL that much easier.

Edited by Noizhead
  • Like 1

-1  More efficient repairing means less work for smiths, leatherworkers, etc.  And before anyone plays the forced religion card, having a priest is NOT required to repair your weapons.  Just enjoy spending more time improving your stuff.

29 minutes ago, Wargasm said:

-1  More efficient repairing means less work for smiths, leatherworkers, etc.

But that's exactly who would be the best repairmen for corresponding items and also benefit the most in terms of improving them.

Edited by zigozag

-1, stop removing the chores between grinding. If all i had to do was sit infront of a forge all day or demolish large forests/caves for skill It wouldn't be worth it. Tools already last a significantly large amount of time imo. They have to get dull when you keep mashing them against other objects

-1 to this suggestion for my vote... in my opinion the rate of damage to tools isn't high enough and repair is already too generous, tools last too long and there is no real game mechanic to permanently remove large percentages of tools from the game like there should be for a healthier economy. Repair rate in my opinion should be made less efficient, not more. Wurm's economy should work much closer to how EvE Online works where items are removed/destroyed permanently every day making room for new items to be manufactured and sold.

Edited by geode
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, geode said:

in my opinion the rate of damage to tools isn't high enough and repair is already too generous, tools last too long and there is no real game mechanic to permanently remove large percentages of tools from the game like there should be for a healthier economy.

11 hours ago, Yiraia said:

stop removing the chores

On 18.02.2017 at 0:31 PM, Chlodovech said:

With the ql loss people actualy have something to do too.

On 18.02.2017 at 11:54 AM, Nordlys said:

Items and tools are already lasting too long

Oh boy.

So Zigozag, nice quote from Mordraug there..... so you consider our point of views on your suggestion as troll posts? Perhaps because we don't see the situation as you do or agree with you? Because we didn't also address Mend directly? Ok, I'll bite....

Perhaps I should tell you what I really think about your suggestion.... start with my comment above and add this to it.... Mend as a spell offered to priests should be removed from the game entirely, because in my point of view the repairing of items in a game where we need to nail 20 planks together to build a wall should be a "physical" task performed by characters that can continue and improve, not a magical one under any circumstances. My opinion, and perhaps only mine, but as far as I'm concerned there shouldn't be any comparison between Repair and Mend because Mend shouldn't exist as a spell at all. That's why I didn't say anything directly concerning Mend because I am biased against the spell and there's no way I could add anything positive to your suggestion and this discussion concerning Mend and how it compares to the Repair skill. Rather than say all this to start with I thought I was sparing you my opinion that would add nothing at all of use to you.

Back to Repair I still believe 100% that even if Repair skill was the only way to fix damage in the game it's still overpowered and needs to be reduced in effectiveness, add to that the shatter percentage for enchanting in my opinion needs to be drastically increased, the chance to get a Rare, any rare, needs to be drastically reduced and shouldn't be based on just random chance but on how much time and work is put into an item.... yes, all that.

We don't agree on the issues raised in this thread, not at all. I respect your point of view, and everyone else's on Repair and Mend, however respecting your point of view isn't an automatic notice to keep my opinion to myself if it disagrees with yours, nor should you feel you aren't welcome to voice your opinions either.

Nor does it mean everyone that disagrees with you is a troll.

Edited by geode

No I don't consider you a troll, why? I'm just worried about the arguments against my suggestion that indeed do sound like quotes from Twelve Doctrines of Wurm. That doesn't make you a troll, just shows that your view on Wurm differ drastically from mine. And I'm afraid of the very possibility of such views influencing development of Wurm in any way.

We do have something in common. I have watched Wurm turn from what it was in 2008 into what it is today, and to me much of it isn't in the direction I myself would have wished it to go.

Good luck with your suggestion Sir.