Sign in to follow this  
bdew

Broken Islands [2048]

Looking for feedback on this new map i've made. The general theme is a lot of flat land and multiple rivers/waterways cutting through the map while still having some nice mountains. 

3D View:

IzIA5aY.jpg

Topographical and biome view available here: http://imgur.com/a/Mtzys

I'll release the map files if i decide to not use it for my own server.

Edited by bdew
  • Like 2

What I really enjoy about this map is that with this river system, basically all the shores are directly accessible by ship. There is a good amount of environmental variety and even a little lake. What I think is a little lacking is some central flat-land. Around the coast in the central areas there's basically no area to settle unless you want to climb up a mountain.

P.S.: Your avatar............... No comment^^

I like this map.

Most people are drawn to the coast in Wurm as it opens up the possibility of using boats in addition to all the other things. Your map creates the possibility of players creating a network of trading routes or simply exploring using boats. I feel that there is also plenty of meadow-land for budding farmers and foresters. The mountains tend to build up into the central massif and while I can understand what Yldrania is getting at about the lack of settling space near the middle of the map, I feel that this could possibly be helped if the spawn point(s) were towards the edges of the map and so encourage people to move further inland .

I am not a PvP player but if I was I could imagine great defensive possibilities around the centre- almost a natural castle in itself. You could also decide to make the centre a 'safe zone' for new players before they venture forth. Whatever you decide- good luck.

@bdewI really enjoy the map and I often like to include similar criteria on maps I make. A small suggestion that could be a large amount of work if you choose to implement it is to avoid straight or close to straight rivers. If you ever go back-country canoeing into areas where the touch of man is less visible you will discover that rivers often curve around, sometimes in a 30 minute paddling period you can snake like an S or even a U so that you've paddled for 30 minutes to end up within 250 feet of where you were originally.

From a game play perspective the nice thing about this is it also gives players opportunities to do river fixing projects where they cut out the extra loops replacing them with dug out canals that make transit easier etc.

The other concept is to play with width a bit so some rivers are really wide (usually where they reach the oceans) while others, especially feeders, are narrow until they join with another river at which point they become much wider. Mountains are usually where you have creeks, streams etc while lower areas you will often have wide rivers.

Hope that helps. In general big fan of your map.

(If you hadn't provided me with so much WU enjoyment through your mods and also your timely advice from time to time I likely wouldn't have been so detailed in my reply. Trying to give back a little if I can).

~Nappy