Sign in to follow this  
Cecci

Petition: Tundra

I was contacted last night about an incident on Deli, someone had clearcut a huge area around a deed of mine, and also packed the last tundra apparently.

People on Deliverance have worked for years on  preserving that last bit of tundra and now it is (apparently) gone.

Therefore I want to petition:

Please let us create tundra like we can create clay, moss and the other special tiles, with transmutation liquid [feature]!

Don't let the tundra go extinct!

• Like 5

+1 Not really a big fan of tundra because from what I see it doesn't really spawn anything the steppe doesn't spawn. However it does keep the the scenery fresh therefore take my vote.

You can create tundra with Ice pillar spell. It doesn't have high chance, but if Deli priests come together, cast few patches of tundra, it will start spreading (it is veery slow).

I was told that in GL now also, but still I wonder, as the person who informed me is a highly skilled Vynora priest.

Had it been worth it the people that tried to preserve the tundra would have used it.

You also need the enchanted tile to start on then, right?

Ice pillar can turn regular grass too to tundra.

I think the people, who wanted to preserve the tundra, shouldve created a dirt "frame" around that patch of tundra. This way the tundra would've slowly expanded, as it spreads to dirt only.

But, what's past, is in past, cant turn back time.. so from now on, instead of trying to preserve it, try to expand the tundra area. :) 

The problem with icepillar is that it's a small chance to turn grass into tundra. If the chance of turning grass into tundra with the spell were 50% to 100% instead of it's current pitiful chance, you could probably get a number of interested priests making tundra fields for those who want it.

That, or maybe using snowballs on grass to make tundra like we use thatch on dirt to make grass.

can you not get a GM to do a repaint? or is that different in WO, I use both tundra and steppe for foraging and botonizing, specially when I'm first starting out, because I have a greater chance of finding cotton,

GM will not likely repaint terrain in WO 

Believe  the issue is also hurt by the lack of Tundra features since they basically don't spawn anything 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, enoofu said:

GM will not likely repaint terrain in WO 

Believe  the issue is also hurt by the lack of Tundra features since they basically don't spawn anything 

Wrong,

The GMs are more than happy to modify areas of the map which are player made deserts and put trees back on them, for no apparent reason.

If you're talking about hota, that's a seperate part, please kept it on topic

Rifts also seem to have a chance to leave some tundra.  It's probably not in the original spot (it'll be the tile the rift spawned on), but it's there.  With care, you can get it to spread.

+1

All types of terrain should be able to be changed to another type with varying degrees of difficulty.

As an antigriefing measure terrain changes should be able to be changed back to their former type by players. No GM needed.

In WU tundra and unicorns seem to be missing from the base spawn info.

A change making unicorns occasionally spawning on tundra would be nice.

I'm happy for the PMs I get with tips on how people on other servers work to try to make the tundra grow.

Reports are generally less than ten tiles per year spreading naturally in optimal conditions.

To allow us to create transmutation liquid would still make it hard but at least then normal players also have a chance to make a difference on the subject.

• Like 1

That`s strange. It reminds me such situation from the past (2010) a little bit, when someone wanted to cut down all oaks on GV, people playing there were building walls/fences to protect their trees

Edited by Mormo

36 minutes ago, Mormo said:

That`s strange. It reminds me such situation from the past (2010) a little bit, when someone wanted to cut down all oaks on GV, people playing there were building walls/fences to protect their trees

Oddly enough this was common practice on release, any time you tried to establish a public grove it would vanish overnight.  Wild oaks were insanely rare too.

As for the op's suggestion, a better solution would be to make tundra spread much faster during winter and maybe give it something unique (and USEFUL) to forage/botanise.

• Like 1

Just to eliminate too much worry and confusion, all of Deli's tundra isn't gone:

8fac196f77b2484c9803fa356b6fc496.png

be2e9cb48b98450bab5f110f96f10222.png

However, I do agree. Tundra tiles should be easier to create, whether it be by planting or transmutation. +1 to the suggestion.

Edit: Could be a use for the orange tree, since the other types of fruit trees have a transmutation liquid tied to them. Just a thought.

Edited by Joelle

-1 cause tundra is fugly

=p

I do agree you should be able to dig it up and plant it same as moss.

• Like 1

Just now, JakeRivers said:

fugly

Look at you, keeping up with the hip lingo.

• Like 2

I inspected the area last night and the destryed tundra was withing the clarcut part of the map.

Good to hear the other part is still there.

• Like 1

On 2/15/2017 at 1:01 PM, JakeRivers said:

I do agree you should be able to dig it up and plant it same as moss.

i wouldn't do it this way, leave it modifiable as is without having to cultivate.  just reuse the gather action that collects mixed grass from grass/tree tiles and have it give us "tundra grass" that we can plant like mixed grass making steppe

Please also extend this to the other tiles that cannot be crafted, like kelp, natural reed (planted is very different look) and marsh. These are not really really not spreading on their own and it is sad to see less and less of them being destroyed by players.

We should have a way to plant these tiles too.

• Like 1