Sign in to follow this  
Benie

Trolls: What is the dirty secret to killing them?

Well, Animal's Demise is also useful for dealing with the occasional spider, wolf and bear. Seems to also work well against hellhounds. And this longsword is the only weapon I have (for defensive purposes).

Alright. So I was given the real secret to killing trolls. Most of you have already said a part of it (aka to get a better helm to protect all of my face). But the main thing I was missing (and this was for all mobs), is aiming for the face (believe some of you have said that as well).

All of this time, I've been aiming for the center.

Jukimo gave me some troll-killing lessons in Exo as I was wrapping up my exploration here, including a brand new steel basinet helm from a 'Riddic' (I assume somewhere on the Chaos server). And wow, did the teaching pay off. I can kill trolls now! ^_^

About time. It just didn't make sense, now having 70FS and not being able to kill a troll. I will also take youralls suggestions in getting a huge axe (and have it enchanted). Was also suggested I get Mindsteal for it, which I'm thinking about.

Huge thank you to Jukimo for the assistance, the free helm, and imping my weapons and horseshoes for free. This thread is now Resolved.

Edited by Benie
  • Like 9

On 2/15/2017 at 11:53 PM, Benie said:

But the main thing I was missing (and this was for all mobs), is aiming for the face (believe some of you have said that as well).

All of this time, I've been aiming for the center.

For my money I never aim *at* trolls.  I watch for the "focuses on your lower left body parts" and defend low or left as fast as I can.  For anything other than an axe, this greatly increases your chances to parry.  Of course, when I first started soloing trolls I was using a 2h halberd in normal fighting mode, so parry was good to begin with and low shield skill didn't matter more LT (71 cast) etc.

So choosing defense seems to work better than choosing offense on trolls especially.  (perhaps excluding axes)

A couple solid whacks on their upper right, to hit their arm and hand, seems to turn their club into a paintbrush.

On 2/13/2017 at 5:39 AM, Mordraug said:

I favor the 2h sword.... longswords are nice dual-wielded for doing damage and the double LT but fall short on stuff like scorpions becoming a bit situational.

One thing about trolls, watch what area they're protecting (they do that sometimes).  Also, if you're missing/glancing/getting parried too much, even if troll's not protecting that area, switch.  Don't forget to focus whenever possible, the higher your focus the better.

Plate's good at lower FS levels, definitely, but eventually you'll wanna shed the extra weight (50-70FS) for more agility (basically).  I kill them really easily in studded leather, sometimes even unarmored though that can get a drop risky if you're not paying attention.

"I have no strategy so I grind everything until results happen".  Saying "get good" is kinda like expecting to win an election by branding all your opponents as racists =P 

2H Sword when you get it high enough skilled (takes time) and you can take them in cloth with the parry and dodge but you really have to watch where they target you. A hit in the face in cloth is bad. Very bad.

EDIT: And you can't really go wrong with LT as long as you can land the hits. Pig healers between big fight. Poor pigs.

Edited by Audrel

Please god don't ever use cloth or a 2H sword....they're the worst 2H weapon and the worst armour in a combo. What in the world are you talking about.

• Like 2

I've killed them with all sorts of gear, a lot is due to the rng.. but I can say I can afk a ven troll on foot while equipped with an LT short sword and large wood shield using rare chain armour.   But I have good shield and other combat related skills to back it up.  I do have drake but prefer my rare chain armour for hunting trips as I take more abuse during them then any other time.

Edited by Nomadikhan

18 hours ago, Nadroj said:

Please god don't ever use cloth or a 2H sword....they're the worst 2H weapon and the worst armour in a combo. What in the world are you talking about.

I just killed an old troll and I was only wearing some cloth pieces, not even full set. Less than 70ql. All I have is a LT huge axe and not even 80 FS.

The troll died in less than a minute and I had zero damage (took some hits, but healed with my own attacks).

The other day I had to retreat twice from a venerable troll and cotton myself back together. That time I had the same FS, same weapon, but I was wearing 70ql full plate.

So go figure :huh:

What I find with Trolls is many more misses and glancing blows than other mobs (combat tab open to see). This is what I think makes fighting them dicey with this randomness. I use a high QL LT 2hand sword too but if missing or glancing there are no heals from it. Trolls also seem to heal themselves at times as well.

Way too many misses/glances even at high FS/Normal/2hand skills, which seems to negate at times all the effort/time put into raising these skills over the years. This needs an adjustment upwards to something more reasonable than just wanting to make Trolls the uber top mob under uniques.

=Ayes=

I had no problem killing trolls at just 30 skill.... Although I will admit that skill was Long Bow so it might not be that fair to count. I don't do it often because it usually results in a fair few lost arrows.

Get a huge axe and some studded leather armor :3 I've killed 128 trolls.

Edited by Legios

On 2/13/2017 at 4:22 AM, Redd said:

Chain = paper armour.

Youre better off going for plate

I have a set of chain that I have worn for 4+ years (with a plate great helm).  The set has 90+ aosp on all pieces.  With an LT longsword I have had very little issues killing trolls.  But the best tactic for trolls is definitely a long bow.  Trolls cannot handle a barrage of arrows.

People keep saying 70ws. Have you ever considered that your actual weapon skill matters as well? At level 50weapon you get the ability of defending a specific area of the body. Trolls tend to hit you in the same place constantly (I have noticed) so if say he's hitting you in the head, you can defend high.

I normally hunt wearing chain and use a shield. It's been my experience you can't depend on LT to keep you alive with trolls. Lately I have been using a Large Axe and Shield and the LT is not enough. Your best bet is to train Huge Axe and LT that if you want LT to do more than recovering from squishies. Trolls hit hard and hit often. Without appropriate shield skill and other defences it will wreck you.

On 21.02.2017 at 3:53 PM, Ayes said:

What I find with Trolls is many more misses and glancing blows than other mobs

This is why i moved from using huge axes for trolls. Too risky. Large axe with shield is much better at the same skill levels, but after certain (above average) point small axes are the ######, ripping trolls apart at 100% hp. (+50% LT from Love path helps too, i think)

Same goes for swords, as i heard.

Edited by zigozag

half the stuff in here makes no sense ..

Get yourself a 70ql plate set (although studded leather is better against trolls due to the nature of the wound they inflict), 50 skill in a weapon and shield at minimum, get yourself 70fs and 50 in normal fighting and then you will be able to fight trolls with no problem

also: Axes have terrible parry rate even at high skill

Edited by Woodman

Plate is a poor choice due to how hard it gets wrecked and how costly it can become to imp. I don't recommend plate for that reason for fighting trolls, given it is unlikely the only thing you will be fighting. Unless you have the ability to imp it yourself I wouldn't use it. 

I always go with chain since when I go hunting I fight everything, but studded leather is an option as well. The thing that will save you however, is fight and weapon skill and shield skill. If you don't have at least a weapon to 50, I wouldn't fight a troll. I have been doing them in with a Large Axe at 37ish, with excellent enchants and LT, but even with that Venerables can become a problem. I usually end up having to pull out and come back. Whereas with my 52 LS Skill, I can party them no issue and get barely hit when I adjust my defense.

High weapon skill is the key. Fighting skill goes up naturally when Skilling so if your LS is 50 chances are your fight skill is above 70. Some people just forget to mention it and it gets neglected, leaving you having to kite that troll to a guard tower.

As for the Huge Axe, that's why I said weapon skill. If you have 30-40 WS and you focus, the LT will balance out the damage taken from the troll. A high LT, high Nimbleness with Humans Demise will wreck a troll. The LT gains will be considerable enough to restore your damage if you land consistently. But like everything else, it requires skill and you need to gauge it appropriately. 

Edited by Angelklaine

rare LT longsword/shield + rare or better cloth armor, you dont even need a horse.

Edited by Martynas5
spelling fix

It used to be 2 smauls and a pair of yfronts for modesty. Just taking them apart before they can hit you. 1ql skilling smauls was pushing it a bit though.

I've had no issues killing trolls using a  huge axe Ql 70-80 and studded leather QL60-75.  I think I killed my first troll when I had about 45fs.

From my experience wearing plate makes fighting trolls extremely hard as they use blunt damage that the plate does a horrible job at mitigating it, but that is just my experience, the plate I own is QL70-85 honestly only use it for rift.

I'm also always mounted when I'm fighting anything.

I use 80ql Plate, 80ql sup. small axe and a ql80 rare shield and I aim for the head + I focus when iam able too.

But i believe non rare/sup. equip does the job aswell.

I can kill Trolls, but usualy i dont hunt them for skillgain, because i would have then those healing breaks after each kill, what slows down my skill progress and wastes my sleep bonus. The "normal" Mobs i can hunt for a while untill i have to start healing.