Sign in to follow this  
Benie

Trolls: What is the dirty secret to killing them?

I've recently started killing trolls without having to run away. I have a really good huge axe, iron and some pretty good chainmail. 72 fighting skill. I think body strength is a big factor, training that up a point could show you what kind of difference it makes. It does feel good to be able to not run away from trolls. Keep grinding all the useful combat skills and you will get there. :)

28 minutes ago, Partrune said:

I think body strength is a big factor, training that up a point could show you what kind of difference it makes

theres some nice information on armor values and bstr effectiveness in this thread:

bodystrength.png

the linear curve is the one that still applies to PvE so as you can see it does have pretty big effects but mostly at higher levels is were you really feel it. however, you do not need to grind body strength just to kill some trolls.

as for my dirty secret im using on f2p/ex-prem chars its plate armour, a decent large metal shield and a decent lt sickle. it just wrecks trolls.

40 minutes ago, Maiev said:

They will crush through your plate like paper with their club, your 2h maul will keep glancing from their studded armor

not really its a pve mob
im pretty sure i could kill a troll with 1 shortsword skill

that being said i'd still only recommend hugeaxe
no reason to sac damage for "defensive ability" on a 2H

24 minutes ago, Soil said:

not really its a pve mob
im pretty sure i could kill a troll with 1 shortsword skill

that being said i'd still only recommend hugeaxe
no reason to sac damage for "defensive ability" on a 2H

shortsword doesnt glance as much as maul does from the troll though. I dont doubt your ability to kill things with weapons that are not as effective as others for the occasion (which might not be true for the shortsword when used with shield, but for maul), but I believe it is irrelevant to the subject at hand

hugeaxe (everyone uses it for the high alpha, high dps and decent crit. its parry rate is horrible), halberd (great if you keep good distance imo), steel spear (very bad for insects, crocs and lava creatures though), hugesword would all do well but hugesword might just do better than others against a troll

if he wants to kill trolls without heavily relying on luck and has low characteristics, relying on parry (which is also relying on luck but... less I guess) would not be such a bad idea

Edited by Maiev

dude how are people struggling with pve mobs
it doesn't matter what weapon you use, just hit them.

don't do ###### any target upper right BS, hit their head. Don't use 2H sword, use hugeaxe. Don't use small maul, just skill med maul instead.
Like, simple stuff.
I'm pretty sure Unknownorganism on Epic was killing trolls with 30FS I think I have? and appropriate weapon skills with proper gear/weapons.
There's no reason you can't use any weapon in the game to just whack trolls. idk. Maybe put some of that copper that's dropping away for either a gear imp, a new gear set, a new weapon, or a weapon imp. Simple as that.

At least this thread is a step up from the "hell horses are too difficult i can't charm they're killng me :^(" thread

• Like 2

It's a common mistake to think that 'Venerable' means 'Frail and Weak', Venerable means the animal is slower, but not weaker, think of it more as a scale of experience, Venerable is the most experienced.

Of all my troll kills, Venerable Trolls have always been the toughest, given me the most damage, and forced me to retreat to heal.

I can solo a troll, on foot, in studded, with a 50-60ql longsword and large metal shield, with 79fs, and 30odd BS, but on foot I wouldn't lightly tackle a Venerable, even on a horse, or cart I won't go chasing them solo.

Lure to guard tower, then stab them in the butt until they die, even at high Fighting skill. Never fight trolls unless you have to.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Zenity said:

with a 50-60ql longsword

Find yourself a weaponsmith!

I do think the DR against trolls wearing plate is pretty low, you're better off wearing studded/drake. Figured rare/supreme plate would be just as good but trolls crush you like a tin can wearing it.

Obviously huge axe, aim for head and stop there.

Ok, so I like to kill a lot of trolls along the way on killing other mobs. I mostly kick their asses with 55ql cloth/leather armor and 80ql 2-handed sword with 87LT. Sometimes I have to back off if the LT does not cover the hits, but I've been able to kick trolls' asses with duel-wielding 55ql short swords, do few heals away and then back to fight. So what really matters is your position and awareness in the fight I'd say. So here's some of my tips:

- Make sure that you fight on a high ground. It will show you as a green boot on the fighting section. This gives you the advantage. And make sure the distance is good.

- You mentioned that you have trouble on keeping up the focus. You will notice that the fighting itself has a rythm: troll tries to hit or hits, few seconds pause and then again. Try focusing everytime right after troll has attempted the attack on you, which will prevent most interrupts. Following the combat log will help you a lot here.

- Follow the troll's movement in the combat log. When troll is "attempting to focus on your right parts", move your weapon towards that same right parts of you and you will have yet again advantage as you have moved faster in that position. However, for some reason with other mobs these won't work everytime and they tend to do just more damage and you get blocked constantly. But trolls are pretty slow and I haven't seen them doing such tactics, like hellhounds seem to do. 

- It actually matters where you hit and when. If you hit high right and basically troll's hand, it will slow it's attack speed. If I keep missing or get blocked a lot, I change very frequently my target from upper right to low mid and to mid left and so on, until I find a spot that will deal damage. When some spot starts to get misses or blocks, I change again.

Hope this will help you :) 

Edited by Kadmint

2h large maul with  lt on it  and  plate/drake  set and  you can  gobble  them up like  candy , i always  set  for  head  shots,  does more  damage, they die fairly  fast.

* I'd love to know how you shoot trolls solo with short bow.  The troll moves into too close a range to shoot and if you try to move away it will move back into too close before your shoot timer runs out. I can see it working if you had a tanking toon.

* The DR values between chain and studded where swapped after news #36.

*  I can kill one troll easy. Two at once can be a problem and three at once is likely death. I use the two-hander, steel spear, in aggressive. Aim for head and constantly focus as their maulings do enough damage to knock you down a focus level.

70ql plate with 80+ web, 70ql steel spear w86lt79c73

str66.9, fs83, spear64

I have fought trolls with a LMS(66skill) and LS(74skill) in normal. I get owned with this setup compared to a two-hander in aggressive.

Edited by joedobo

I recommend LT for any PVE situation. I use a medium maul with LT and a LMS and kill trolls with no issues. RNG could be screwing you too 

Wat is this thread. I was under the impression it involved killing trolls ingame when i saw a fez response. Now I'm dissapointed , confused and aroused 

1 hour ago, joedobo said:

* I'd love to know how you shoot trolls solo with short bow.

You need a decent horse with decent saddle and shoes, something like 4speed 70ql 70woa. Then you are more than fast enough to kite them.

I was assuming everyone was using horses but I guess things on freedom are different, my bad.

Looks like you need a good armor smith, a good weapon smith and a trip to the gym for more body str and body stamina. I used to wrry about trolls and hell hounds too until I realized armor and weapon ql matter alot, more than most things that take longer to improve. I gave my noob alt a set of my spare gear, plate and a large maul, he stomped a troll with almost no FS , no weapon skill. 90+ql plate and weapon will go alot longer way to killing that troll than most other things. Once you have decent gear, try mining / digging / wood cutting, good body stat gains which will help, body str more damage and carry more with out penalty, body stamina more health. Possitioning is imprtant also, try to be above and facing the troll on horse back. With a large maul you will kill it faster when you do hit it, giving the troll less time to focus up and less time to hit you. There is always the RNG that can make the troll seem super human, just ride away bandage and come back. Killing trolls gets easier the more fighting you do. Taking on multiple mobs at once is a no-no for a noobie as the second or third mob gets a free ride until you finish with the first one. Only try multiples once you feel confident killing singles.

The best advice is to work on getting better armor and weapons, then work on body skills, the rest will fall in place over time.

I remember when trolls sucked to fight, then I got good and I find them dead at my feet AFK

I love how 3/4 of these threads aren't helpful at all, and most of you didn't even read the OP. Always these mixed messages.

"Use a 2H axe.. nooo use a 2H sword! Use plate! NO, plate would be bad!"

How is this..helpful to me in the slightest? Plus some of you say you can kill them naked? Also, I'm ignoring the unhelpful 'git gud' posts.

I have a set of 70QL plate with AoSP back home, and I tried to use it against a troll. And I got such a beating. Then I was told to use Chain as it would soften the blow of their clubs. NOW I'm being told that Chain is using paper armor!

Seriously? Can we please...please have some helpful consistency here?

Also, do you all realize how much silver I've burned through over gear and enchantments? I barely have enough to afford the upkeep to my deed back in Indy.

Edited by Benie
  • Like 1

Spoiler

[13:55:13] You try to cut a venerable troll.
[13:55:14] You try to move into position for the uppercenter parts of a venerable troll.
[13:55:15] You move into position for the uppercenter parts of a venerable troll.
[13:55:18] A venerable troll easily parries with a huge shod club.
[13:55:20] The attack to the stomach glances off your armour.
[13:55:24] A mature mountain lion moves in to attack you.
[13:55:24] A venerable troll safely parries with a huge shod club.
[13:55:24] You cut a venerable troll deadly hard in the head and damage it.
[13:55:24] Your weapon freezes a venerable troll.
[13:55:29] A venerable troll safely parries with a huge shod club.
[13:55:29] You miss with the huge axe.
[13:55:32] A venerable troll mauls you extremely hard in the left thigh and hurts it.
[13:55:35] A venerable troll safely parries with a huge shod club.
[13:55:35] You miss with the huge axe.
[13:55:40] You barely evade the blow to the left underarm.
[13:55:40] A venerable troll kicks you hard in the chest and irritates it.
[13:55:40] A venerable troll safely parries with a huge shod club.
[13:55:40] You cut a venerable troll deadly hard in the neck and damage it.
[13:55:40] Your weapon freezes a venerable troll.
[13:55:42] A venerable troll mauls you extremely hard in the right underarm and hurts it.
[13:55:42] You easily parry with your huge axe.
[13:55:45] A venerable troll skillfully parries with a huge shod club.
[13:55:45] You miss with the huge axe.
[13:55:50] A venerable troll mauls you extremely hard in the right thigh and hurts it.
[13:55:51] A venerable troll safely parries with a huge shod club.
[13:55:51] You cut a venerable troll deadly hard in the neck and damage it.
[13:55:51] Your weapon freezes a venerable troll.
[13:55:56] A venerable troll easily parries with a huge shod club.
[13:56:00] The attack to the right thigh glances off your armour.
[13:56:02] A venerable troll safely parries with a huge shod club.
[13:56:02] You miss with the huge axe.
[13:56:05] You easily parry with your huge axe.
[13:56:07] You cut a venerable troll deadly hard in the left shoulder and damage it.

[13:58:06] You try to cut an aged troll.
[13:58:06] An aged troll moves in to attack you.
[13:58:07] You try to move into position for the uppercenter parts of an aged troll.
[13:58:08] You move into position for the uppercenter parts of an aged troll.
[13:58:11] An aged troll seems to shelter her right parts.
[13:58:11] An aged troll easily parries with a huge shod club.
[13:58:13] You barely evade the blow to the left underarm.
[13:58:17] An aged troll barely evades the blow to the neck.
[13:58:18] An aged troll seems to target your upper left parts.
[13:58:20] An aged troll targets your upper left parts.
[13:58:21] You barely evade the blow to the top of the back.
[13:58:22] An aged troll easily parries with a huge shod club.
[13:58:26] An aged troll seems to shelter her lower parts.
[13:58:27] An aged troll mauls you extremely hard in the stomach and hurts it.
[13:58:27] An aged troll easily parries with a huge shod club.
[13:58:29] An aged troll seems to target your  right parts.
[13:58:33] An aged troll targets your  right parts.
[13:58:33] You cut an aged troll deadly hard in the right shoulder and damage it.
[13:58:33] Your weapon freezes an aged troll.
[13:58:34] The attack to the right hand glances off your armour.
[13:58:35] You safely parry with your huge axe.
[13:58:35] The attack to the right upper arm glances off your armour.
[13:58:38] An aged troll easily parries with a huge shod club.
[13:58:43] An aged troll seems to target your upper right parts.
[13:58:44] You cut an aged troll deadly hard in the head and damage it.
[13:58:44] Your weapon freezes an aged troll.
[13:58:46] An aged troll targets your upper right parts.
[13:58:49] The attack to the right shoulder glances off your armour.
[13:58:49] An aged troll skillfully parries with a huge shod club.
[13:58:49] You cut an aged troll deadly hard in the left shoulder and damage it.
[13:58:49] Your weapon freezes an aged troll.
[13:58:50] The attack to the right upper arm glances off your armour.
[13:58:50] You easily parry with your huge axe.
[13:58:55] Your attack glances off an aged troll's armour.
[13:59:00] You cut an aged troll deadly hard in the right shoulder and damage it.

[14:21:19] A venerable troll moves in to attack you.
[14:21:21] You try to move into position for the uppercenter parts of a venerable troll.
[14:21:22] You move into position for the uppercenter parts of a venerable troll.
[14:21:24] A venerable troll safely parries with a huge shod club.
[14:21:24] You cut a venerable troll deadly hard in the left shoulder and damage it.
[14:21:24] Your weapon freezes a venerable troll.
[14:21:30] A venerable troll barely parries with a huge shod club.
[14:21:30] Your attack glances off a venerable troll's armour.
[14:21:32] The attack to the right thigh glances off your armour.
[14:21:35] You cut a venerable troll deadly hard in the right shoulder and damage it.
[14:21:35] Your weapon freezes a venerable troll.
[14:21:38] A venerable troll mauls you extremely hard in the right underarm and hurts it.
[14:21:41] You miss with the huge axe.
[14:21:46] A venerable troll bites you extremely hard in the right thigh and hurts it.
[14:21:46] A venerable troll skillfully parries with a huge shod club.
[14:21:46] You cut a venerable troll deadly hard in the right shoulder and damage it.
[14:21:46] Your weapon freezes a venerable troll.
[14:21:46] A venerable troll is knocked senseless from the hit.
[14:21:49] A venerable troll regains his bearings.
[14:21:49] The attack to the left underarm glances off your armour.
[14:21:52] Your attack glances off a venerable troll's armour.
[14:21:57] A venerable troll safely parries with a huge shod club.
[14:21:57] You cut a venerable troll deadly hard in the left shoulder and damage it.
[14:21:57] Your weapon freezes a venerable troll.

[14:32:27] You try to cut a mature troll.
[14:32:27] A mature troll moves in to attack you.
[14:32:28] You try to move into position for the uppercenter parts of a mature troll.
[14:32:29] You move into position for the uppercenter parts of a mature troll.
[14:32:30] A mature troll seems to target your upper right parts.
[14:32:32] A mature troll targets your upper right parts.
[14:32:34] A mature troll seems to target your upper left parts.
[14:32:36] A mature troll targets your upper left parts.
[14:32:36] A mature troll safely parries with a huge shod club.
[14:32:36] You miss with the huge axe.
[14:32:37] A mature troll mauls you extremely hard in the left upper arm and harms it.
[14:32:41] You cut a mature troll deadly hard in the right underarm and damage it.
[14:32:41] Your weapon freezes a mature troll.
[14:32:44] You barely evade the blow to the left shoulder.
[14:32:47] A mature troll seems to target your lower right parts.
[14:32:47] A mature troll safely parries with a huge shod club.
[14:32:47] You miss with the huge axe.
[14:32:48] An aged black wolf moves in to attack you.
[14:32:49] A mature troll targets your lower right parts.
[14:32:50] You skillfully evade the blow to the right calf.
[14:32:50] A mature troll mauls you extremely hard in the right underarm and hurts it.
[14:32:52] A mature troll seems to target your lower left parts.
[14:32:52] A mature troll easily parries with a huge shod club.
[14:32:56] A mature troll targets your lower left parts.
[14:32:56] You try to move into position for the uppercenter parts of a mature troll.
[14:32:57] You move into position for the uppercenter parts of a mature troll.
[14:32:58] You cut a mature troll deadly hard in the neck and damage it.
[14:32:58] Your weapon freezes a mature troll.
[14:32:58] The attack to the left underarm glances off your armour.
[14:33:03] A mature troll seems to shelter his right parts.
[14:33:03] A mature troll safely parries with a huge shod club.
[14:33:03] You cut a mature troll deadly hard in the head and damage it.
[14:33:03] Your weapon freezes a mature troll.
[14:33:04] A mature troll mauls you extremely hard in the left thigh and hurts it.
[14:33:06] An aged black wolf claws you pretty hard in the chest and slaps it.
[14:33:08] A mature troll safely parries with a huge shod club.
[14:33:08] You cut a mature troll deadly hard in the neck and damage it.
[14:33:14] An aged black wolf claws you pretty hard in the right thigh and slaps it.
[14:33:14] You cut an aged black wolf deadly hard in the chest and damage it.
[14:33:14] Your weapon freezes an aged black wolf.
[14:33:19] An aged black wolf claws you pretty hard in the left hand and slaps it.
[14:33:20] You cut an aged black wolf deadly hard in the chest and damage it.

Huge Axe Aggressive Aim High  and deal with all the parries cause who cares it dies in 4 hits anyway and takes under a min to kill.

with a 2 hander it takes 6 hits and still under a min

Edited by armyskin
more info

Oh  yeh, good call from everyone.... huge mauls for some reason seem to be made of rubber in Wurm.

5 minutes ago, Mordraug said:

Oh  yeh, good call from everyone.... huge mauls for some reason seem to be made of rubber in Wurm.

Large mauls are amazing if you kill desert and cave creatures most of the time. Hits like a truck

Use it against troll if you would like to humble yourself