Sign in to follow this  
Benie

Trolls: What is the dirty secret to killing them?

70 QL Longsword with AD, 97 Nimble, 72 LT, 81 CoC,... CHECK.

Set of 70 QL Chain enchanted with AoSP... CHECK.

Nearly 70 FS(68.82)... CHECK.

Have felt like I've been grinding FS forever... CHECK.

Fighting on a horse... CHECK.

Fighting in manual mode, Normal stance, spamming Focus... CHECK.

Can kill hellhounds, up to Aged... CHECK.

Getting my ass kicked by an Adol troll... Check. -_-

What am I doing wrong, people? I'm making sure I'm close enough to them, but they keep interrupting my attempts to Focus (or when I do,  I lose Focus for no reason), making my health bar further and further red. I know people that can kill Vene trolls without needing a guard tower (yet I hear others say even with 70FS they lure trolls to guard towers).

What's the secret? Rare dragon hide armor? High skill in 2H weapons? Mastery of manual mode of knowing where to attack and when? ..What? Trolls are starting to wreck my enjoyment of exploring all the servers of the Freedom Isles on horseback.

I... Honestly think that your chances of killing a troll depend on if the troll has eaten his Wheaties in the morning. I was killing trolls (With NO damage to me) at level 30fs, 15 longsword. But then when I felt cocky, I tried to kill an adolescent troll.

Do you know what a bad headwound suddenly appearing on you feels like? I do! :D

I wish the fighting was a tad more consistent. The same thing happens with hellhounds. I feel like if they get the first hit in, I lose. Always.

• Like 4

just don't kill them
they're not worth the gear damage for what you get out of them

you're better off moving to the next mob in any case other than LT 2h weapon, in which case it ~might~ be efficient to include them to your kill list.
at least that's what I do. I hunt for weaponskill anyways, not FS.

• Like 5

@Wolfey: I agree that the fighting should be more consistant. It is with wolves/bears/spiders/rats/crabs.

Though I've always wondered why Vene trolls hurt the hardest (when they're supposed to be.. you know, "Venerable".. aka, weak and frail? And shouldn't be able to hit as hard as it did when it was younger?

It feels very unclear.

12 hours ago, Soil said:

just don't kill them
they're not worth the gear damage for what you get out of them

I get that. I'm just starting to grow tired having to run from them (especially when they're in the way of a beautiful area I wanna get a picture of, and there might be no real fast way I'll be able to get away (even with 70 WoA horseshoes and saddle) if I lead them away from it).

I feel I worked my butt off, and this is the thanks I get; 38% health with the Adol troll still at Wounded.

Edited by Benie

With trolls it's always a good idea to use LT, and at lower FS a 2h weapon. With chain armour if you get unlucky with rng and it hits you in the face (which is not protected) it can give you a 25-30dmg wound..

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, faty said:

and at lower FS a 2h weapon

I was told it would be OK to skill with a longsword with LT. This is another thing that's bugging me; mixed messages of what I should do.
Also, 68 FS isn't exactly low. It's my second highest (highest being Digging).

13 minutes ago, Benie said:

I was told it would be OK to skill with a longsword with LT. This is another thing that's bugging me; mixed messages of what I should do.
Also, 68 FS isn't exactly low. It's my second highest (highest being Digging).

If you use a one handed weapon, then you should always use a shield, and if you are low in shield skill (anything below 30-40ish) then it's only weight, you will almost never parry a troll..

The idea with the 2h weapon (especiall a huge axe) is that it does a tonne of damage, so you also get a lot of health back from LT, so it turns into a race of who kills who first since parry rate is minimal with the huge axe :)

Longswords are good, but you will do less damage, and you have to skill them and the shield more to see a difference..

In my opinion it's better to start with a two handed weapon to get FS over 70, and after that switch to one handed + shield and skill them up on easier mobs, but everybody has a different approach because it all depends on the weapons and armours you have access to, hence the different suggestions you get :)

Edited by faty
  • Like 1

Yeah, I am using a shield. It's a standard Large metal shield (though it's at 33 damage, sitting at 68QL), and my Shields skill is like 27 I think. My Longsword skill I believe is 44.

I guess this is the reason. I was on the assumption that FS controlled a lot during battle. But it seems your proficiency with the weapon also matters.

I imagine my FS is going to be close to 80 before the Longsword skill gets to 60 or something. Wish I knew how to make that number go up faster (even with CoC on the sword).

High QL long bow (90+), NIM+COC. Arrows 20-40ql is fine, depending if you don't care to lose them all. SB on. Much cheaper, doesn't trash your gear, but you have to invest some time to make arrows.

14 minutes ago, bramsky said:

High QL long bow (90+), NIM+COC. Arrows 20-40ql is fine, depending if you don't care to lose them all. SB on. Much cheaper, doesn't trash your gear, but you have to invest some time to make arrows.

Hmm. Good suggestion. Though I haven't even started working on my Fletching (or Archery) skill.

Also, I've wondered about bows. Are they like other games where if you hit the target, it will come running at you? Or can you pick them off from a distance and they won't care?

And I would like to keep the arrows intact for as long as possible, unless I make a good-sized amount of them.

6 minutes ago, rixk said:

Get higher characteristics.

Ok. Can you explain which ones in more detail?
Also, I'll admit I do highly rely on LT. It managed to get me back to full health by killing 'lesser' mobs in the area. I still do occasionally use cotton and HC's (just not as much as I was burning through cotton without LT).

Edited by Benie

Get higher characteristics. Also you can retreat from the battle and bandage yourself up, you don't have to kill it in one go.

all these lame excuses for "advice" 

do you want some real advice friend on how to beat these behemoths?

the only way to accomplish this is to:    get good

real talk, improve everything. The most important things in order to do well in PVE is : (mental awareness), gear, fight skill, shieldskill, stance skill, characteristics.

Everything else is unimportant, if someone tells you otherwise, they are just resuscitating garbage they have been spoonfed or read on the wiki 

Edited by TradingAlt
  • Like 5

33 minutes ago, Benie said:

Ok. Can you explain which ones in more detail?

Body (increases damage resistance) and body strength (increases damage done) are the most important.

Other general tips:

• If you don't already have one - get a great helm. Eyes wounds have increased damage, and most helmets don't protect the eyes. A good hit in an unprotected eye can send you from 100% HP to red tunnel land.
  • Make sure you use height to your advantage.
  • Target their head if you can.
  • What fighting style you use? If you use 2H weapons you probably should be using Aggressive in the long term, but with low stats, Normal might be better off.

get longsword, x type shield and longsword and x type shield skill or get two handed sword and two handed sword skill, use studded armor with great helm if you can

For the sake of satisfaction, killing them is great. Plus their clubs smash through those nasty deed walls faster than most mauls one can make at a lower skull.. eh, skill level. 

The secret is: Grab a Fo priest to heal you while you fight ;) 

Honestly, as far as I've noticed, at your skill level you can kill Adolescent and Mature as well as Venerable trolls, but the other ages will require a higher FS or a fair amount of luck.

Pretty tough to get your focus up on trolls, they drop it on you as fast as you get a focus level.

70ql weapon and armor not the best choices either, want 80ql, ditch the chain for plate.

Chain = paper armour.

Youre better off going for plate

16 minutes ago, bdew said:

Body (increases damage resistance) and body strength (increases damage done and damage reduction) are the most important.

Other general tips:

• If you don't already have one - get a great helm basinet helm. Eyes wounds have increased damage, and most helmets don't protect the eyes. A good hit in an unprotected eye can send you from 100% HP to red tunnel land.
  • Make sure you use height to your advantage.
  • Target their head if you can.
  • What fighting style you use? If you use 2H weapons you probably should be using Aggressive in the long term, but with low stats, Normal might be better off.

Body strength is both damage dealt and damage reduction... overall body is just for the title, also basinet helms are better then great helms functionality wise because they offer greater move speed.

3 minutes ago, Yldrania said:

For the sake of satisfaction, killing them is great. Plus their clubs smash through those nasty deed walls faster than most mauls one can make at a lower skull.. eh, skill level. 

The secret is: Grab a Fo priest to heal you while you fight ;) 

Honestly, as far as I've noticed, at your skill level you can kill Adolescent and Mature as well as Venerable trolls, but the other ages will require a higher FS or a fair amount of luck.

venerable is the highest CR of the ages AKA the strongest.

1 minute ago, TradingAlt said:

Body strength is both damage dealt and damage reduction... overall body is just for the title, also basinet helms are better then great helms functionality wise because they offer greater move speed.

venerable is the highest CR of the ages AKA the strongest.

Well, that settles it then: Trolls are either sexist and like to die to female players, or I've had an enormous amount of gender-unspecific luck. :) 

archery destroys them.

get a shortbow and a quiver full of arrows.

shoot. move away. repeat.

great skill from it too.

if you Must fight them in melee, use lt weapon, shield and plate.

• Like 1

I favor the 2h sword.... longswords are nice dual-wielded for doing damage and the double LT but fall short on stuff like scorpions becoming a bit situational.

One thing about trolls, watch what area they're protecting (they do that sometimes).  Also, if you're missing/glancing/getting parried too much, even if troll's not protecting that area, switch.  Don't forget to focus whenever possible, the higher your focus the better.

Plate's good at lower FS levels, definitely, but eventually you'll wanna shed the extra weight (50-70FS) for more agility (basically).  I kill them really easily in studded leather, sometimes even unarmored though that can get a drop risky if you're not paying attention.

1 hour ago, TradingAlt said:

all these lame excuses for "advice" 

do you want some real advice friend on how to beat these behemoths?

the only way to accomplish this is to:    get good

real talk, improve everything. The most important things in order to do well in PVE is : (mental awareness), gear, fight skill, shieldskill, stance skill, characteristics.

Everything else is unimportant, if someone tells you otherwise, they are just resuscitating garbage they have been spoonfed or read on the wiki 

"I have no strategy so I grind everything until results happen".  Saying "get good" is kinda like expecting to win an election by branding all your opponents as racists =P 

• Like 4

Ok ill give this a shot. 

I am wearing 90 QL plate no rare pieces.

I fight trolls with 2h Maul at 53 Skill level FS at 76.  Yes it has nim coc lt etc etc

I never ever aim for the head they parry like dancing buffoons that way so don't bother.

What I do that seems to work is aim for the right middle side and left middle side. 

I alternate it  if I see they start to protect that side  I never use focus with them because time you get it poof its gone. 

Always Be on horse Facing them and above them IF you can at normal range.

One trick is if you see them getting 2-3 hits on you and it is not stopping break off the fight and go heal. 

Give it 2-3 minutes it seems to reset them and go back in again.  They don't normally get that lucky 2x in a row

They will crush through your plate like paper with their club, your 2h maul will keep glancing from their studded armor