Sign in to follow this  
Angelklaine

Name Changing - Why or why not?

I wish I could say that alot of this was an IF.  It has played out more times than I think anyone wishes to think about.

• Like 1

I have always been against account selling. It's not like you earned the skills, just that you have more money than time to invest in your own character(s). I've never been an instant gratification type when playing games. I like the satisfaction of knowing I built the account and earned the reputation. Name changing isn't needed in my opinion, you bought the account... At least that leaves a legacy in game of the original player and in some cases the multiple owners who put the work  into it. To each their own, I guess. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, OSP said:

I have always been against account selling. It's not like you earned the skills, just that you have more money than time to invest in your own character(s). I've never been an instant gratification type when playing games. I like the satisfaction of knowing I built the account and earned the reputation. Name changing isn't needed in my opinion, you bought the account... At least that leaves a legacy in game of the original player and in some cases the multiple owners who put the work  into it. To each their own, I guess. 

Totally agree, and I even bought accounts, hate the practice but gotta do it if everyone else is.

It's kinda forced into people at times. If you want to do PvP, you can either buy an account, or join a PMK and spend the next six months chopping bricks and digging tunnels so others can PvP. There is very little to no use to a new player in PvP when they can't tame or ride horses, they can't assist in actual fights because all they do is miss, and they fall over when a gust of wind blows over them. It takes at least 6 months of hard grinding before you can begin to actually be useful at all in PvP. Some players are only interested in PvP and buying an account is the only way in.

It's a shame but it's the world we live in.

On 2/16/2017 at 10:46 PM, Angelklaine said:

It's kinda forced into people at times. If you want to do PvP, you can either buy an account, or join a PMK and spend the next six months chopping bricks and digging tunnels so others can PvP. There is very little to no use to a new player in PvP when they can't tame or ride horses, they can't assist in actual fights because all they do is miss, and they fall over when a gust of wind blows over them. It takes at least 6 months of hard grinding before you can begin to actually be useful at all in PvP. Some players are only interested in PvP and buying an account is the only way in.

It's a shame but it's the world we live in.

-

Edited by Worksock

On 14/02/2017 at 11:20 PM, Niki said:

That really isn't mud slinging. If you play on a pvp server there should be always a over looming threat going on. I play a lot of pvp elsewhere, a lot more intense than Wurm. One big reason why I am not active on the scene here is because it's to expensive to really enjoy, need a good pvp account, gear, karma etc. Name changes have never once caused me any difference in other games. There should never be a way a player can feel safe in a pvp situation because you know the enemy's weaknesses.

While I now reside on Freedom, I thoroughly enjoyed my time on Epic. I can say straight up that you do not need to spend a single cent to be able to enjoy PvP outside of the premium time. Get yourself into a group, and they will usually provide the gear for you. My account has never been "great", nor would be considered a "good pvp account" by yourself, however I had a lot of fun during my few times PvPing.

Onto the topic at hand though, purely from a moderation perspective, I can see why name changes would be problematic. Though as long as there's a way to see all past names of an account, that would be a great help should such a thing ever be implemented. I'm neither for, nor against, the idea of name changes, just figured I'd add my view to it.

• Like 1

Names have a big history in this game. I would never change my name and I also think it is a bad idea in gernal, there are a lot of negative things coming along.

Why would you want to change your name in the first place?Did you do a bad thing and don't want people to know who you are anymore?? Live with your decisions and mistakes,grow.Changing the name wont fix who you are..your self will allways come out.

• Like 2

On 2/20/2017 at 11:35 AM, Jonydowy said:

Why would you want to change your name in the first place?Did you do a bad thing and don't want people to know who you are anymore?? Live with your decisions and mistakes,grow.Changing the name wont fix who you are..your self will allways come out.

Well, I'm probably an odd case, but my old name kind of offends me now. I've made no secret in hiding who I am and what that account was, but I can't stand to see the name anymore BECAUSE I've grown. The name isn't me, it doesn't fit me. I haven't done anything bad, and when I came back many folks on cele welcomed me back with open arms. Some who saw my new account even asked if it was me, despite it being years. 

I want people to know me, I want to keep on with what bit of a reputation I had. I just don't want half of that name. I just want people to see me as Ellie. And while I'd have like to have all of my old skill levels, I was willing to start over with a new character. A name change would have helped immensely.

Though, again, I'm not advocating for or against name changes. I'm only speaking from how it would have personally benefited me. I can see how there would be merits from it, but I also see that it could have major drawbacks.

• Like 2

There are more reasons for a name change that bad reputation. This game is full wonderful people. Just now I had a character seller offer me 10k favor because neither of us knows where the character is located. The big majority of people in this game have been immensely helpful to me, much more so than any other MMO I have ever played. It is curious that for a game full of good willed people, the concern of most players is other players bad reputation.

Keep in mind of those people who play this game, a very miniscule number have a poor reputation among the community. And of that very small amount, an even smaller number than that have the desire/ability to purchase a name change. This is something we need to consider when making these type of decisions. 

• Like 1

i do NOT wish for any name changes .. that's my pennies worth of thought on this

Character history and reputation, blah blah blah.

First owner is exploiter, thief and harasser. So new owner also will be, couse of "character reputation".

First owner is great person, best of the best. So new owner also is great person, honest and nice, couse of "character reputation".

Right?

Seems logical.

Point is, there is no character reputation, after character is being sold. There is a whole new person, and no reputation should applied to his actions.

That's why there should be possibility for a name change.

I created a new online alias but I'm still stuck with skinded and will be for the years to come. However, I'd like name changes but I doubt it'd be possible to do using your recommendations. I can't see how that would work out in wurms simple UI. Not only that, it'd probably require some sort of overhaul to names and unique id's etc. 

Edited by Skinded

3 hours ago, Wilczan said:

Character history and reputation, blah blah blah.

First owner is exploiter, thief and harasser. So new owner also will be, couse of "character reputation".

First owner is great person, best of the best. So new owner also is great person, honest and nice, couse of "character reputation".

Right?

Seems logical.

Point is, there is no character reputation, after character is being sold. There is a whole new person, and no reputation should applied to his actions.

That's why there should be possibility for a name change.

On the other hand, the same thief can just change name and carry on with their thievery with clear history. 

They could even possibly change to a name that was previously used by a very honest tradesman, who recently changed the name to something new, and then go ahead with some big bad plans. 

I think namechanges would bring a lot of confusion unless there' a well planned feature to track character's history.

More trouble than it's worth.

Yeah, but it was suggested dozen times that with name change there could be a title for a year or so in style of "known as <old name>" or something like that.

5 hours ago, Shmeric said:

On the other hand, the same thief can just change name and carry on with their thievery with clear history. 

They could even possibly change to a name that was previously used by a very honest tradesman, who recently changed the name to something new, and then go ahead with some big bad plans. 

I think namechanges would bring a lot of confusion unless there' a well planned feature to track character's history.

More trouble than it's worth.

Or they can make/purchase a new character for free.  If you consider the amount of times someone has done a deed so nefarious to accurately reflect notoriety vs. the amount of people who are doing it legit? 

The same could happen right now without a name change. A person with a nefarious reputation can pretend to sell their character and carry on. Reputation does not stop that. The fact that reputations follow a name is simply not true. So by pretending to sell a character someone can effectively "wash their toon", no matter how much people want to believe otherwise. 

If someone wants to change their name in order to wash, then at the very least they have to pay with lettuce to do so (cold hard cash). That seems more punitive to me than a misguided belief that they won't be able to sell out.