Sign in to follow this  
Angelklaine

Name Changing - Why or why not?

I'd enjoy being able to play as an anonymous entity. This would means no history of past names. 

I have noticed many people argue reputation follows the character. But that is not entirely true. If I spend 3 years being a reputable seller, and start a market deed where everyone is welcome to peddle their wares, and do a lot for the community, but then sell my account to a person with a bad reputation... Will his reputation be cleansed by my old account? Will you buy silver with euros from a person of shady character, just because they bought an account with stellar reputation? I think not.

The same goes for the opposite. If a person with stellar reputation purchases the account of a shady person, you won't stop buying/trading/trusting that person for the account. This is because no matter what people say, reputation is earned as people, not accounts. Sure, there are some people who would be stubborn and refuse to remove accounts from KOS lists and etc even when presented with overwhelming proof, but such is the risk of purchasing accounts their prior owners were not in good standing. 

• Like 3

I am in for name change, gender change and ability to buy a new handmirror from a trader. All for enough money that it helps the game and maybe the old name is visible while someone does "examinate" on another person (maybe as surname, why not). 

Edited by Sirene
  • Like 3

Really this is how you prevent abuse. Anyone who has been warned ingame, created issues, banned etc shouldn't be allowed to change name, that account will have the rep attached with it for the new owner still.

Those that are clear of those things are allowed. You shouldn't make a fuss and make those playing within the rules suffer.

With this Code Club could be smart and include a cash shop with ( COSMETIC ONLY ) items think things like the Troll King's Crown "Cow Hat" or fancy clothing maybe even some dresses for the female players. Other things like a dragon riding + mount could be added later. Make items bought from the cash shop untradeable, I want to fund Code Club, and see Wurm grow not make players richer.

This is how you make growth for a indie game that probably isn't profiting very much these days.

• Like 4

So... I decide I want to sell Reylaark.

1. I place an ad for one MILLION dollars. 
  2. Angel's wallet is too heavy, so she creates a fresh character and buys the skillset belonging to Reylaark. 
  3. Reylaark is then reset to a brand new character with starter skills.  It is still associated with my email, it is and always will be me.  There's no escaping that.
  4. Angel's pre-determined fresh character inherits Reylaark's skills.

One way or another, names should be tied to the individual that created that name, unless revoked by CCAB for reasons.

When selling accounts, the name should not be part of the deal.  You are the name, the name is you.  No selling of accounts per se, but instead, selling of skillsets.  In other words, scrub the name associated with the skills, insert new name.  Old name is always associated with creator of said name.  New name is buyer of skillset.

This should be done by CCAB, and only by CCAB, for a price they deem fair based on amount of time it takes.  Service bought through their site for real money, exclusively.  Adequate paper trail required, with record of who did the transfer and when, for accountability.

What this does -- I think -- is make it so

• reputation is not inherited by the buyer. 
  • Any permissions associated to the original owner of the name still apply, it is still the same person. 
  • KOS lists still apply.
  • Gives people a second chance if they screwed up and gained a bad rep.
  • Allows people tired of their name to breathe some new life in the character.

Assets becoming unlinked can be addressed, or not.  You buy the skillset, not the belongings, if need be.  Better than nothing.

Something about all this must be going over my head though.  Regarding the unlinking thing, isn't the whole point of using a database to manipulate data, organize it, etc.?  Seems to me there isn't really anything so static that a well formed sql statement couldn't address. 

• Like 6

OK your name is also your ID for payment and ownership of items , it takes a GM to change it and payments (game time).

I had to get a name change because paypal and other sites would not accept it as it being on there RED list..

I miss my old name but it was ether change it or use ingame silver , and that started to cost to much.

As for players wanting to change name sure no problem  but there should be a list on forum of  Old name to New name , for players who are worried..

For the sake of the discussion I'll toss out here my opinion on the topic. I never have agreed with the sale or transfer of accounts from one player to another in Wurm, so also I don't agree with allowing name changes either. I see Angelklaine's point as relevant to a certain degree yes, but I would rather see the Devs working towards requiring accountability in regards to Players being linked with the accounts and characters permanently rather than the system in place now in Wurm.

I'll use an example .... I make my characters known and will continue to do so because it benefits everyone to know exactly who all my characters are, especially if a Player can't stand my guts and hates my opinions after reading my posts and views on these forums, and by knowing all my character name they know exactly what names to put on the ignore list for chat so they don't have to listen to me anymore...

...See? Permanently linking Players with their characters DOES have tangible benefits for all now doesn't it?

(yes I threw myself under the bus to prove my point since let's face it... I am a perfect example in the eyes of quite a few here, it is obvious to me I am ignored by many)

Players rely on character names to know whom they are dealing with, listening to, and doing business with. Allowing name changes to characters throws all that into turmoil and doubt even more than it is already. Account selling is allowed in Wurm and (in my opinion) introduces far too many log term problems.... allowing name changes may very well multiply those issues. More work to establish "Trust" between Players, more work for GMS and Staff, and the community will take a hit again just so a few who desire to escape the reaping of what they have sown can avoid answering for their actions. IMO Staff should encourage, even enforce, the reaping of what we sow in reputation as Player through our Characters and their reputations. I reap what I have sown, I have a terrible reputation with some here, and I live with it. I earned my reputation, not proud of it but truth is truth and it benefits others to know my reputation. I have no desire to escape from that because I would not want to be on the receiving end of being [insert bad action/situation] by another Player that escaped from their own bad behavior with a name change and a clean slate. Allowing character names changes is IMO a bad idea overall. Maintaining some kind of accountability by not allowing name changes benefits most Players overall (my opinion).

Allowing name changes and "Making a List" as suggested above won't reliably work... because the Dev Team already has too much on their plate and such a list would have to be maintained by them (for any amount of credibility) and since the Devs are hard pressed just to keep the Wurmpedia updated now (since they closed general access to it) I myself have little faith they would have the time to keep such a a List of former character names of current characters up to date. Sorry Staff members if you see my opinion on that as offensive to you, but calling it as I see it, not meant to offend.

-1 to the suggestion for allowing Name Changes for Characters.

Edited by geode
expanded on my first posting to better clarify my views
  • Like 1

Personally I have no interest in this Name Change option as I see it only really of interest to those who purchase accounts from others, which of course I don't. Or maybe sell accounts to others, which of course I don't.

That being said I really don't see it as a problem if it is an option purchasable from the Wurm Shop *ONLY* for RL cash, which will contribute to game income directly and can *NOT* be bypassed by purchase in-game through the use of player traded/earned/purchased/dropped from the skys silver.

If the purchaser of the Name Change uses it for nefarious purposes their true character will soon be once again revealed since it is not a personality changer. By making the Name Change an exclusive option from the Wurm Shop with maybe a 6 month restriction to repurchase it will be of little use to those types of individuals anyway. In this manner it's win-win since the game makes more direct income and the individual with the goofy name can change it to something more suiting their temperament.

=Ayes=

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Reylaark said:

reputation is not inherited by the buyer. 

No one forces you to buy a account with a bad rep.

Runescape does it good, can change name monthly, but it will display your last known name.

make this a yearly thing in wurm, could be good.

Tho perms must be really wierd thing....Idk. I think this comes with more hastle than you think

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Reylaark said:

You buy the skillset

Interesting idea.  Remind me of what they did in Entropia, you could sell skills by "downloading" some of a selected skill into an empty skill implant, the empty skill implant then became an implant of the skill that was downloaded into it, another player could then use the skill implant to get the skill.   There was a cost associated with this and a slight skill decay to prevent swapping the same skill back and forth.     Maybe something like that could be done in Wurm?      Tomes of knowledge or something like that...   At any rate it would remove the need for character name changes and remove the risks associated with selling accounts. Would create a market for skill farming, could be either good or bad thing.

possibility to transfer/sell skills by some item (tome, implant ...) I like much more than changing name and selling accounts

PC on 99.906 shipbuilding? :P

3 hours ago, JakeRivers said:

No one forces you to buy a account with a bad rep.

True, but that wasn't my thinking.  What I meant was that someone buying an account with great rep can't suddenly pass themselves off as that person when making deals.

I think that was one of the concerns some folks brought up, and that's what I was addressing.

I wasn't attempting to help anyone with a bad rep sell their accounts.

I don't personally ever see myself using any of this, but trying to think up potential solutions is always fun regardless of the problem itself.

Great idea with that skill set sell. Would solve the issue people claim about reputation. Then again currently there are ways for people to get around this. Create a new forum account name, purchase a new character, sell your old one. Done. Instant clean account.

But I am all up for different options. Selling skillets could be a thing, but I think you should sell the whole skillet and not just a single skill. Selling single skills would hurt the character sale market.

• Like 1

Knowing your enemy is part of pvp situational awareness, name changes would open a door for surprise slaughters and no one likes constantly dying thats not fun unless you stood some chance. Changing names removes knowing that chance and potentially killing pvp further if people resort to only rolling in zergs.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, SmeJack said:

Knowing your enemy is part of pvp situational awareness, name changes would open a door for surprise slaughters and no one likes constantly dying thats not fun unless you stood some chance. Changing names removes knowing that chance and potentially killing pvp further if people resort to only rolling in zergs.

PvP is like 1-2% of the Wurm population, why should all updates be catered around the pvp always. PvP in wurm should be harder, you shouldn't know everything always, how is that fun seriously? It also makes it near impossible for new players because the veterans know there newbies and kill them. 

• Like 2

Dont think i mentioned freedom, the discussion was asking for pros and cons. Was this a pve only discussion?

• Like 1

Only people this would bother are those afraid pvp already. Those that actually PvP don't care what name is in local.

11 minutes ago, SmeJack said:

Dont think i mentioned freedom, the discussion was asking for pros and cons. Was this a pve only discussion?

Well, you can say it'll affect PvP all you want but it's really a moot point.

As you say pvp situational awareness, really though, that's all you need in a pvp situation. Knowing that you have people about to kill you I mean. If it's red it's dead should be your only concern, not there names. I think the meta gaming that goes on in Wurm is pretty bad, for example knowing there skill dumps so you can plan your escape or slaughter - how is that fun? Why even pvp at all? It's just a really strange reason to even bring what you said, sounds like you want to deny the other 98% of the player base that wants name changes.

I didn't think of the pvp ramifications.  It does make it tough to keep up with who can do what if the name changes on that side of the coin.  That would be a nasty surprise to meet up with a char you have never seen before and have them knock the crap out of you.

I still do not agree with it on a pve basis either.  PVP basis would be horrible I'd think.

22 minutes ago, shankiest said:

Only people this would bother are those afraid pvp already. Those that actually PvP don't care what name is in local.

I knew someone would try to bring in the mud slinging, ive played with the "greats" i understand what goes on.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SmeJack said:

I knew someone would try to bring in the mud slinging, ive played with the "greats" i understand what goes on.

That really isn't mud slinging. If you play on a pvp server there should be always a over looming threat going on. I play a lot of pvp elsewhere, a lot more intense than Wurm. One big reason why I am not active on the scene here is because it's to expensive to really enjoy, need a good pvp account, gear, karma etc. Name changes have never once caused me any difference in other games. There should never be a way a player can feel safe in a pvp situation because you know the enemy's weaknesses.

This is just my stance, I wish to see pvp more interesting in 2017, and possibly even easier to get into. Name changes are really not going to cause many issues, just players who like to know everything will feel confused for once maybe.

Having an advantage over PVP because you know who is who should not be a thing, to be honest. Like Nikki pointed out, it only allows certain persons to pvp by picking those weaker than them. Oh, DoctorChaos is in local, lets bail. In all fairness its pretty weak that you use metagaming as an excuse to justify why name changing should not be allowed. If Chaos had 3000 players, it is very unlikely everyone knew everyone, and you wouldn't know who you would be engaging. Name changing wouldn't be an issue then. But as thing stands, with 30-40 people logged in on Chaos at peak times, people can choose their battles based on a nametag, and not in a pressing need, strategic objectives or even an incoming event. This type of activity foments stagnation.

Im not saying we should work towards preventing this as this is just an inevitable aspect of the current state of the game, but this should be an effect, not whats expected, and definitely not the norm. Regardless, a 6 month cooldown to name changes (or a yearly one) would hardly be used by PVPers to this effect. After all, it will take maybe a couple fights for people to realize who your character really is, given the name missing and a new name still tied to the same kingdom, doing the same antics. Its a very poor strategy all in all.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Angelklaine said:

But as thing stands, with 30-40 people logged in on Chaos at peak times, people can choose their battles based on a nametag, and not in a pressing need, strategic objectives or even an incoming event. This type of activity foments stagnation.

There are very few pressing needs in this game on either side of the board.  Strategic objectives? Recharging an artifiact or maybe a hota would fit that bill or the incoming event one.  But a fight or not a fight based on a name is NOT what is making pvp stagnate.  If I go over to wild and walk up on DoctorChaos or Dadd, damn right I'm going to run.  Those characters are awesome.  Why would I want to hand them everything in my inventory.  I'd rather get a force together for a fight with either of them.  This is information that I would definitely want before I ran up to attack someone.

Still do not agree with name changes for strictly pve reasons either.

I am not saying you should not be able to tell who is who on chaos. I am saying metagame should not be what drives in game decisions. Not having name changes because of the inability to tell someone is an account that was stronger than you think is a pretty weak reason. Besides, there are protocols that can easily be put in place to prevent this mechanic to be abused. One name change every six months is hardly problematic.

• Like 3