Sign in to follow this  
ozmods

high death rate for boars?

while I've been working around my map, doing some building and foraging etc, I've come across a high number of boars, both off and on deed, they're dropping like flies, is this normal or should I report this as a bug, however cows and sheep, are at 0 for deaths, as are bulls and horses, hens are on a medium level, getting one on the odd occasion

any advice would be greatly appreciated

I'm not sure about WU, but in WO boars do not live past adolescent age (same like other critters do not live past aged, unless cared for - hens, roosters, rats etc.)

yes, boars have a tendency to die at a unusually earlier age than most animals so running across dead boars is not that unusual. Chickens I think die almost as early at the end of Aged, while sheep live very long lives comparatively (venerable+)

Edited by Brash_Endeavors
  • Like 1

ok thanks, appreciate the input, just means I've got a rather large collection of pork, that i'm trying to decide what kind of meals to make, whether to fillet or make a roast from.

I don't think we can actually make roasts in WU, despite the new roasting pan and roasting spits. "Not A Bug Working As Intended (TM)"

I would try dropping them into Food Storage Bin which I think breaks it into the same size (30kg) as filets but less wastage. Filets don;t have much point other than letting you grind up Butchering skill. 

Then you can either CHOP or MINCE and face the daunting choice: will we have meals or casseroles today?

Right now im usung magic chests, i wasnt aware you use FSB's for raw meat.

FSB will hold: raw meat, meat filet, diced meat. It won;t hold: minced meat, wrapped meat, and maybe now not cooked meat, I have not tested that yet,

Processed food that won't go into the FSB, probably should go into the new LARDER with snowballs placed in icebox (lowest shelf) for greater efficiency.

(yeah magic chest is higher efficiency but most players find them too expensive to use unless they are GMs or long established players -- I think they run 50 silver for the large ones from a trader)

When in doubt, try FSB first and Larder second.

• Like 1

Raw meat and fish go in FSB with the new 1.3 update that is currently in alpha testing. Prior to that only cooked meat goes in FSB. And at least according to the notes for 1.3 cooked meat will no longer go in an FSB (though existing cooked meat is supposed to stay on one until you take it out).

Yup, discovered that a while ago, sure makes life loads simpler

The issue is that boars need to be feed meat or grains to live

Usually why Sheep, bison, and horses live a long time as they graze

but you'll never see a starving Boar (indicating they are not dying from lack of food) though come to think of it, it has been a long time since i have seen a starving-anythng so maybe that's not even in the game code anymore due to confusion with Starving (Condition). Although I can;t find that in the wiki anymore either, and I swear I am not just imagining it was there. Maybe though I am confusing it with Diseased (Condition). Being old and senile is a pain sometimes ...

Still, most animals can spawn at any age so you might see venerable Unicorns, venerable crocodiles, venerable wolves as fresh spawns but every dead boar I have seen was always adolescent and appeared perfectly healthy.  Sometimes you can even hear them suddenly die and keel over with a squeal when their hourglass runs out of sand,,, i used to be in an area with spawning boars (Fo domain), they always died after a very short time. it might be their same for all Diety Animals I am not sure. A blessed life but a short one ...

well in my "infinite" wisdom haha. I summoned 100 boar, thinking that I may lose 1-2 thinking the rest would wander off, there was no diseased everything was set to standard setup,. random age, no sly etc etc. I ended up with 37 dead boars, not what I intended at all, the rest have scattered across the landscape now, but I have 500+ pieces of pork meat in the storage bin, now I will be able to test some of these recipes lol..

still not what I intended, but whatever works I suppose.