Sign in to follow this  
Anarres

Meaningless "too far away" message

This is minor, as far as I can tell, but it's strange and maybe it can be quickly looked at. When I hit the key for "Continue", unintently, with something activated and something selected that have nothing to do with continuing building/creating anything, the message I get is:

[11:32:37] You are too far away to do that.

For example, I have a pelt activated and I hit my "Continue" key when I hover over a complete object (bee hive, crate, raft).

The reaction from the software is a little more annoying nowadays because it doesn't only display the message in events log, it also overlays a big meaningless (in this case) message on the game screen.

Expected: nothing, no message would work just fine, like many other cases when you hit a key that doesn't apply. Or a message saying "it makes no sense to continue now", like some other cases.

Were you moving when that happened? Occasionally, due to server or client lag, your exact position might not be updated. When you try to queue an action while that is the case, it might happen that you receive the You are too far away to do that - message whether it normally applies or not, because the server doesn't register what you're trying to do due to the delay in updating where you are. (The message "You are too far away to do that" is given on things that make sense and things that don't make sense when you're too far away to try.)

No. It can be reproduced easily, just bind "Continue" to a key, and use it where it makes no sense to continue.