Sign in to follow this  
Nordlys

(Exo) Goblin peninsula highway extension

Ahoy!

I've spent pretty much all my Wurm career living in south Exodus, and during that time i've spent alot of time making the natural enviroments look nice and tidy by cleaning up old deeds, looking after roads, planting trees along highways and also making a few of them.

Im thinking about making a new highway on Goblin Peninsula, in the south and want to listen to any thoughts about it from the community, maybe especially from the deed holders on Gob. Pen.

I have talked to a few active peoples down south, most of them from the alliance im in (who is mostly southern based deeds), and recieved positive feedback.

Ok, straight to it.

First off, there is a highway marked on the map going north/south, and that road does not appear as its marked.

Second, the highway i want to build is a continuation of an existing road, going east/west across the peninsula.

Now there are several reasons to make highways, but the most important one is accessibility.

Here is a picture about current highways, my plans and some explanation:

The orange highways are the highways marked on the community map, the one marked #1 is not existing at all, but the black one is.

The highway section i want to extend is marked with red.

The planned highway extension does not go through any deeds, nor perimeters. Neither will it cross any existing highways or regular roads - its merely a straight forward extension.

Note that the deeds on this map may be slightly wrong placed, and there are a few deeds that are not on the map.

zfaJxps.jpg

I will let this topic stay for some time before i decide if the atmosphere is good enough to do this.

Please say your thoughts about this. :)

- Nordlys

Edited by Nordlys

Looks like a good plan! I used to live right under your deed, before I moved further south. But those highways definitely need some tlc.

1 minute ago, Jibberish said:

Looks like a good plan! I used to live right under your deed, before I moved further south. But those highways definitely need some tlc.

Thanks. :)

Hmm. I personally like the natural look of the peninsula and the extensive -untouched or slowly returning to that state which I help actively when I have the time to- forest there. It was one of the key points we founded Sopron on the peninsula some years ago.

While I'm not against roads if not leaving big scars (I don't see any point in a 3+ tile highway and extensive dirtwork where it is not necessary) - is there any practical reason of a highway there? The west coastline you target is not really inhabited except the very few people, and I think we are definitely doing great without a highway...

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Jaz said:

Hmm. I personally like the natural look of the peninsula and the extensive -untouched or slowly returning to that state which I help actively when I have the time to- forest there. It was one of the key points we founded Sopron on the peninsula some years ago.

While I'm not against roads if not leaving big scars (I don't see any point in a 3+ tile highway and extensive dirtwork where it is not necessary) - is there any practical reason of a highway there? The west coastline you target is not really inhabited except the very few people, an I think we are definitely doing great without a highway...

Thanks for the reply! :)

You are absolutely right - the peninsula is kinda unique in terms of wilderness.

The planned extension is not gonna afflict any major "scars" if i am deciding tho, i was planning to follow the "norm" around these lands, with generally following the terrain. The terrain is as you might know not so harsh, so its not really very extensive dirtwork. It is some slope adjusting and maybe some digging in the two ends of the road to make the road somewhat nice and rideable.

Do highways have to be 3+ tiles wide? I was thinking 2 wide, then some nice trees along the sides.

• Like 1

2 tiles are fully qualified highways I was just unsure of your plans :)

• Like 1

I'm not against the idea, but a road only needs to be 1 tile wide. From my end of the epic project Stonewall will only support a 1 wide road and the same for the bridges. We need to clear the land for new settlers.

6 hours ago, Andromas said:

I'm not against the idea, but a road only needs to be 1 tile wide. From my end of the epic project Stonewall will only support a 1 wide road and the same for the bridges. We need to clear the land for new settlers.

For a road to be classified as a highway and thus fall under the highways protection act, it needs to be at least 2 tiles wide, paved, and convey people from point a to point b, same applies for any bridges that are part of the highway as well.

Your 1 tile wide road can be removed without any recourse if someone choose to do so.

Personally if it's going to be a 2-3 wide bridge/highway into southern Wolf Island, then I'm out.

9 hours ago, Andromas said:

Personally if it's going to be a 2-3 wide bridge/highway into southern Wolf Island, then I'm out.

Then you didnt read the topic, no mention of any bridges.. :)

Its still totally off topic from my higway extesion/maintenance/upgrade. :huh:

That entire section of highway doesn't exist? I can remove it for the next map update. I've never mapped there so it's all been submitted by people.

Have fun with your project, sounds like no major objections.

31 minutes ago, NESGamepro said:

That entire section of highway doesn't exist? I can remove it for the next map update. I've never mapped there so it's all been submitted by people.

Have fun with your project, sounds like no major objections.

Thanks. :)

Yes, there are also some additions of highways around that arent added. I will draw a pic for you some time. Suggest you take the trip if you like. The highway going from Black Pearl (S16) and east is also wrong. But lets take this discussion to where it belongs. ;)

Edited by Nordlys

Many players come to the peninsula to hunt.  Yes the current roads are incomplete, however, I have never seen a hunter unable to find their way off the peninsula after a successful hunt.  If those of us who live on the peninsula and the hunters who enjoy the wilderness are okay with the current highways, why do you need to come in and make changes?  New highways are not needed.  It is a wilderness area for a reason.  Please, let's keep it that way.

31 minutes ago, Sageruby said:

Many players come to the peninsula to hunt.  Yes the current roads are incomplete, however, I have never seen a hunter unable to find their way off the peninsula after a successful hunt.  If those of us who live on the peninsula and the hunters who enjoy the wilderness are okay with the current highways, why do you need to come in and make changes?  New highways are not needed.  It is a wilderness area for a reason.  Please, let's keep it that way.

Thanks for the input. :)

I dont get the "come in and make changes" bit tho. Ive been living in and around Goblin Peninsula for many years. :ph34r:

19 minutes ago, Nordlys said:

Thanks for the input. :)

I dont get the "come in and make changes" bit tho. Ive been living in and around Goblin Peninsula for many years. :ph34r:

After many years you should be familiar with the area and agree there is no need for additional roads.

1 minute ago, Sageruby said:

After many years you should be familiar with the area and agree there is no need for additional roads.

I am very familiar with the area. I dont agree the current road mess is living up to the standards tho.

Do you think any of the two north/south highways already there are making hunting worse? Or make the peninsula less "wild"?

These standards the highways are not living up to, what standards?  No one complains about the current highway situation.  There is no need for additional highways.

8 hours ago, Sageruby said:

These standards the highways are not living up to, what standards?  No one complains about the current highway situation.  There is no need for additional highways.

The standards of Goblin Pen and its wilderness are higher than the current road situation.

Why are you generalising? I am complaining, therefor its not "no one".

And it may not be a need for new highways. Thats kinda why i started this topic. I wanted to scout what others meant, even if i absolutely didnt have to.

But dont forget, i dont want to build new highways all over Goblin Pen. I merely want to extend the only highway thats going east/west somewhat north on the peninsula.

Edited by Nordlys

My main issue is I don't really see what you plan to connect with the highway, it seems to be a road for its own sake at the moment..

I'm quite sure if we the few residents would ever thought about needing a highway there would be one already...

You are right though that the peninsula quality can be improved by removing the current fragments of roads leading from nowhere -that is a task I'm happy to pick up.

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 1

The Goblin Peninsula is a wilderness. I love the big woods and the trolls, bears love it too.  :) We don't need a new road, there are too many already.