Sign in to follow this  
ozmods

9 days into the alpha test

I have to say I was really chomping at the bit for this update, and believe me it is worth every moment of the wait, for those who decided to not do the alpha test.

everything that WO received in their update is there, and it's only going to get better, i'm not going to spoil it for ya's but i'll say this, I thought I had wurm figured out, but with this update there is a lot more to be done, and a lot more to be made, discovered and so on lol,

kudos to retro keenan and co for all the work that these guys are doing, your going to love it I really mean that.

updated accordingly

Edited by ozmods

I just don't understand what took so long, the database changes are minimal. And the migration system using flyway lib is also not too complex.

Everything else is running very smooth, I will bring a Sklotopolis test server online after migrating all mods which should work out today, not many mods have been broken.

The mod launcher for wurm is currently busted, unless your using something else.

ive only discovered minimal bugs, which ive reported.

We have our own modlauncher based on the ago modloader but with a lot more functionality.

I've posted a version of the server modloader that works with 1.3 in the main thread. Most mods work as-is requiring no changes for 1.3.

I've also put up a test copy of my server - "Otherland (TEST SERVER)" - that runs the same setup and map but on 1.3 if anyone needs a place to test.

Edited by bdew
  • Like 2

one of the biggest things, that I was hoping to get, I actually did, and i'm rreally happy about it too,

as you lot know i'm a "builder" so building BIG  buildings is my forte, in the 1.1.3 update I think it was, they removed the ability to stand between 3 tiles, meaning I can either work on the left and middle or the left and right and then the middle If I chose to, I asked for this feature to be returned and they did, I could not be happier with this new update, when it goes live it's going to bring ALOT of joy to a lot of people, there is another feature coming too i'm quite excited about, but I wont spoil that for you, you will find that when the update goes live, keenan mentioned it on steam the other day, and my mind was immediately blown.

well now I've had a caffeine hit, aloing with hungry jacks for breakfast, now it's time to go work on the update

18 hours ago, ozmods said:

everything that WO received in their update is there,

Not really everything.

According to Steam 72 reciepts of the 500+ are included.

But the rest is included.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Cecci said:

Not really everything.

well there is that, but it doesn't take a Gordon ramsey to make a recipe lol.

That still doesn't make "everything" a correct description, Oz.

yes true,. so i'll rephrase it, then lol..

it has ALMOST everything in it, that WO has... is that better lol *note cheeky smile*

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Cecci said:

Not really everything.

it should be noted that of the 72 recipes they "gave" us:

• 15 are "edible" recipes we already had before (casserole, ,meal, stew & sandwich, with added variation for: fish-meat-veg versions like before)
  • 18 are beverage recipes we already had before (wines, unfermented wines, mostly useless fruit juices, tea)
  • 10 are 'components"  we already had before (salt, cheeses, dough, flours, bread, jam, olive oil) 
  • 8 are new processes for preparing  "old" ingredients we already had before (mince, chopped, ground  versions of meat, vegetable, herb)
  • most of the "new" recipes in there, are for things we cannot eat and cannot use as there is no recipe existing yet for them:  sausage skins, cocoa, butter, cream, cornflour, whipped cream, nori, 
  • Some "basic component recipes" are not there; cooking oils (corn, cottonseed,), non-wine fermented drinks, anything actually using the new brewing still. We have sugar beets but I am not sure we can yet make "sugar" 
  • we also now can make several different versions of roasted spit animals (sheep pig etc)  --  which is new

So the 72 recipes are basically : everything we had before,  a few new stuff we cannot yet use ... and roast pig.  (We might also have lost the ability to make "cake", I haven;t yet tested but it is not included with the recipes so possibly not part of the new cooking system?)

It may not take a "Gordon ramsay" to make a recipe using the JSON scripting but it is more complicated than it looks, it takes an ability to work with scripting,  you apparently have to make sure itemID numbers are not reused? , a typo in the scripting will kill it,  ... and you have to do it over 425 times just to catch up with "everything WO has". 

However i am hopeful that WU modders will step up to the plate and get us some basic functionality for all these new ingredients etc.  I have some whipped cream and stuff but nothing to do with them yet :(

So a lot of it is groundwork for new content. 

THINGS THAT MAKE ME   HAPPY:

The new CCFP system -- calories/carbs/fats/proteins -- is intriguing and i predict people will absolutely love it or absolutely hate it. I think I like it ^_^ no more mass producing mountains of identical meat+pumpkin meals

i actually enjoy quite a lot the "processes" of things like making butter, chopping herbs, grinding spices. Again, some will love it and some won't. I happen to love it. 

Affinity system -- I got a buff for alchemy for one meal that lasted close to an hour,  I am sure power players will love these, though as i rarely even use sleep powders or CoC tools, they are less interest to me than for many. The system however is interesting. 

THINGS THAT MAKE ME   REALLY   HAPPY:

• herb planters!!  
  • racks for plants, barrels, amphoras, wine barrels
  • the brewing still looks cool even though we cannot use it
  • hops trellis even if we can't make beer
  • I love the idea of new crops such as cucumbers, carrots, tomatoes, cabbages

Some of these make for some great decor and atmosphere and I am happily planning ways to remodel my crafting halls based on them. The herb planter shelves especially add some real life to old rooms. 

I haven't found any hives yet but it might be necessary to wait for "Spring" for new ones to spawn; i think my world is currently in summertime. However hives don't sound like they worked out as fun in practice as in theory, so i am not terribly crushed by no hives yet until those get finetuned. Ditto for snowballs and larders, it sounds like there is a lot of fine tuning to get them out of the painful stage and into the sweetspot where they give more pleasure as they do frustration.

I think we will EVENTUALLY get everything WO has, it's just not all included in the package (mostly missing recipes and uses for the new ingredients)  it is NOT  "ready to play" out of the box as for WO players. People buying the game off steam with no knowledge of the forum debates here, will be confused and unhappy.  So all i really feel sad and blue about, is all of these missing parts, We will have to see whether modders can make my pain and sadness go away but new players should not be required to download mods (let alone write them) to fix basic missing functions of a game.

In a month from now, though, once we have those we might not care.

Overall, i am a mixture of frustrated and pleased, but I expect after initial acclimatization and modding, i expect I will end up very happy.

Edited by Brash_Endeavors
  • Like 1

Yeah i agree, not having the full recipe set is bovine manure.

Worse yet, it's a really bad precedent. Is all future content that CC don't want spoilered in WO will be delayed by many months and then delivered in a neutered state?

Edited by bdew
  • Like 2

36 minutes ago, bdew said:

Worse yet, it's a really bad precedent. Is all future content that CC don't want spoilered in WO will be delayed by many months and then delivered in a neutered state?

No, the delay had zero to do wit hthe recipes.

WU received the ability to add your own recipes, WO does not have that ability, players cannot add any recipe they want, WU players can.

Will content be different down the line? Definitely.

As a mom, I am familiar with the concept of treating the kids "different but equal", giving each what they need instead of everyone getting exactly the same thing for christmas.

i will not mind "different" if the result is still "equal"

Currently not there yet.

Any comments on the no usability for stuff like whipped cream?

What will the people buying WurmUnlimited in the future think of this broken game,

that they have to code themselves before they can actually use their whipped cream in their "Standalone" game?

• Like 1

it's an alpha.

There also exists the possibility of user created recipes winding up in the game too, not just "go here to download some" but included in the steam download.

I agree, they are going to need to add some additional recipes so that people can at least use the vanilla update content without modding.

It would probably help if we made a list for them on the feedback form of things that cannot be used as-is

• Like 1

Hopefully the WU mod creators will be able to resolve any bugs associated with this new patch soon to arrive, so it is good to read that they have a test server to check their functions out before it hits the Steam WU server tab.

Now looking forward to doing various things in WU that I would never bother with in WO due to their excessive requirements time and skill wise. Pity the poor WO player saddled with these requirements. Ah well, at least there has now been an alternative to a more enjoyable Wurm playstyle within WU.

=Ayes=

14 minutes ago, Brash_Endeavors said:

I agree, they are going to need to add some additional recipes so that people can at least use the vanilla update content without modding.

It would probably help if we made a list for them on the feedback form of things that cannot be used as-is

would appreciate the feedback but not listed in the alpha bug form, as it's not a bug.

The alpoha form is to find major issues that would cause drastic problems if it went to beta or live.

ok, so feedback here if it is not a "bug?

I think the catchphrase is, "minimally viable product".

Such as -- currently we have sugar beets. They do not grow, they cannot be proocessed into sugar, and even if they could be processed into sugar, the sugar cannot be used. 

Not a bug (well, 'not growing' maybe is a bug, or may be intended)  but after 'alpha" and before 'release," the existence of sugarbeets meaning in life  should be addressed.

(* I tried using grindstone/press/bev.press on sugarbeet, but just as i was turning it to seed and planting I see there was a 'crush" option I missed, so i will try to find another one to see if crushing makes sugar.)

edit: other "Not A Bug But Unacceptable For Live Release:"

Cannot process corn or cottonseed  into cooking oil as outlines in cooking guide
Can make sausage skins but cannot use them for anything

crops not growing is a bug.

Whipped cream not having any purpose is not.

Does sacrifice changes for Lib come in WU too? Also @Retrogradeequipping armor in combat still has timer, eben tho it was removed in WO. Very annoying.

5 minutes ago, Badget said:

Does sacrifice changes for Lib come in WU too? Also @Retrogradeequipping armor in combat still has timer, eben tho it was removed in WO. Very annoying.

yes, and are you running the alpha? because it doesnt have a timer here.

I want to make recipes for WU that mimic WO so users can more easily just import them. But it's a lot of work: 1) make a tool to more conveniently enter recipe data because filling out .json files is tedious; 2) do detailed tests on WO recipes. There are things about recipes that aren't usually in the recipe listings I've seen, like difficulty variances, cooker options, container options; 3) I also have to fix my other mods.

Excluding recipes from WU is a bad decision. If I could, I would force Code Club to include them in WU. Any dev who voiced objects to such an action would be told to stfu.

2 minutes ago, joedobo said:

I want to make recipes for WU that mimic WO so users can more easily just import them. But it's a lot of work: 1) make a tool to more conveniently enter recipe data because filling out .json files is tedious; 2) do detailed tests on WO recipes. There are things about recipes that aren't usually in the recipe listings I've seen, like difficulty variances, cooker options, container options; 3) I also have to fix my other mods.

Excluding recipes from WU is a bad decision. If I could, I would force Code Club to include them in WU. Any dev who voiced objects to such an action would be told to stfu.

but this way you get to make your own! Surely you can think outside the box of JUST WO recipes?