Sign in to follow this  
ozmods

9 days into the alpha test

34 minutes ago, Brash_Endeavors said:

the reason you have to forage for them is because most servers were not generated with them to jumpstart the process. Most people do not want to wipe and regenerate their maps just to get orange trees.

me included LOL,

forgot to mention that the bee hives are working sweetly, already have one hive migrated and have already got honey being produced, have harvested 27 pieces of wax from the hives,

well done DEv's now if you could just update the alpha so we can start producing crops and get 0ur herbs and spices going, that'd be great.

8 days into testing and so far apart from the few bugs ive sent in, things are running quite well, after thr crop growing fix was released by bdew, ive managed to plant a few different crops crom the new range, and they are growing quite well. 

17 minutes ago, ozmods said:

8 days into testing and so far apart from the few bugs ive sent in, things are running quite well, after thr crop growing fix was released by bdew, ive managed to plant a few different crops crom the new range, and they are growing quite well. 

What? I've put my testing on hold untill they fix the crop growing bug. what fix?

well thank you for this mod, even though they should have fixed this first thing, we shouldn't have to rely on mods for basic operations. I know this is an alpha but this has been a bug from its release and should have been patched first thing.

3 hours ago, coffeene said:

well thank you for this mod, even though they should have fixed this first thing, we shouldn't have to rely on mods for basic operations. I know this is an alpha but this has been a bug from its release and should have been patched first thing.

Crops growing is an easily solved issue, We've been working with modders to ensure that nothing causes the servers to die in horrible piles of flame, which is the point of the alpha.

Bugs like the crops growing are great to catch though, and will be addressed in the next release

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Retrograde said:

Crops growing is an easily solved issue, We've been working with modders to ensure that nothing causes the servers to die in horrible piles of flame, which is the point of the alpha.

Bugs like the crops growing are great to catch though, and will be addressed in the next release

No real issues after 9 days of testing. Solid, even with the big Sklotopolis world.

apart from the crops, that's been my biggest issue, but they're fixing that, so that's a plus.

I was able to get the new varieties growing with the mod fix,..

the biggest thing was being able to stand between 3 walls, so I can do 3 walls at a time without having to keep returning to  get materials was a huge plus for me,

Edited by ozmods

11 hours ago, Retrograde said:

Crops growing is an easily solved issue

Yeah, the crops thing is literally a 2 character fix :P

3 hours ago, ozmods said:

sprouts from orange tree's first one

Nice. Speaking of which, will there be some way to add rocksalt veins and the new tree/bush into existing maps provided by CC?

Did they change anything with the lights? With the new client, my frames rate is much worse if I'm near light sources, like lamps or wood piles. With the old client, I didn't really had frame issues, but now it's quite bad.

2 hours ago, bdew said:

Yeah, the crops thing is literally a 2 character fix :P

Nice. Speaking of which, will there be some way to add rocksalt veins and the new tree/bush into existing maps provided by CC?

The salt vein is already there, ive got maybe 50 salt veins... From my understanding you would need to do a map refresh to have the nee trees appear on the map, hence why its better just to forage plant a few, wait x amount of days and you get sprouts.

rock salt is simply a name name/graphic for tiles that had salt in them (no more prospecting!) instead of mining 50 or so rocks (or whatever the server setting is for WU) you'll mine that many salt rocks, that are then milled with a grindstone to make salt.

They aren't veins in the sense they have 10k ore in them, and occur extremely commonly. Veins that had salt in them will remain the same.

Adding the new trees and bushes isn't really possible beyond using a GM to paint terrain, spawn saplings, or just forage for them, just like in WO (my orange orchard looks amazing though)

Okay i took a peek at the code and it seems that the TilePoller is spawning (or converting) rocksalt tiles instead of plain rock that used to have salt.

Fair enough about the trees. I've considered just randomly converting say 1% of the trees/bushes on the server to the new types, but i wasn't aware you could forage the new saplings.

Edited by bdew

1 hour ago, Retrograde said:

rock salt is simply a name name/graphic for tiles that had salt in them (no more prospecting!) instead of mining 50 or so rocks (or whatever the server setting is for WU) you'll mine that many salt rocks, that are then milled with a grindstone to make salt.

They aren't veins in the sense they have 10k ore in them, and occur extremely commonly. Veins that had salt in them will remain the same.

Adding the new trees and bushes isn't really possible beyond using a GM to paint terrain, spawn saplings, or just forage for them, just like in WO (my orange orchard looks amazing though)

Back when WU had the flowers bug where flowers wouldn't appear on a map, there was a utility available that would place flower tiles on a set percentage of grass tiles changing them in the process. I wonder if that same approach (and perhaps modified utility) could be used to accomplish the same for the new trees.

This is the old flowers issue that I referenced previously.

1 hour ago, Nappy said:

Back when WU had the flowers bug where flowers wouldn't appear on a map, there was a utility available that would place flower tiles on a set percentage of grass tiles changing them in the process. I wonder if that same approach (and perhaps modified utility) could be used to accomplish the same for the new trees.

One problem with randomly changing X percentage of trees or grassland to orange, is some people may have tree farms, pastures or majestic oak plazas that they spent six months nurturing, and not want to find those suddenly "infested" or outright replaced with rapidly spreading brushes and fruit trees. You know how some people feel about fruit trees. This way actually gives a lot more control to players. If some people do not enjoy foraging/botanizing, but still want new plants and crops such as herb gardens oranges cucumbers paprika etc, I am sure there are other players thrilled to sell these. The price would never get that high because they are actually super easy to find. I got a lot more orange sprouts than I did cotton pumpkins or wemp, while foraging/botanizing for the new crops.  

The difference with the old flower bug is that players don;t need GM help as they can now  fix the issue in their own local area quite easily. In addition, to plant a flower literally requires you to "kill" a flower, while a spout represents an unending supply of future sprouts. It does not take long to find an orange or hazelnut  sprout,  I would say they are more common than ivy/rose/grape seedlings. Once you find one, you can keep picking sprouts off the growing trees and expand your new "orchard" which makes it different than the flower bug where getting one specimen to spread was actually very difficult. 

I think the current "solution" --- allowing us to forage for the sprouts then tend and gather more sprouts from the ones we plant -- is the ideal one. I was here when they added the new linden walnut chestnut fir trees, but frankly can't recall how they introduced them to the servers, but I can't  imagine it was as easy a solution as just forage/botanize for sprouts, 

Edited by Brash_Endeavors
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, Brash_Endeavors said:

One problem with randomly changing X percentage of trees or grassland to orange, is some people may have tree farms, pastures or majestic oak plazas that they spent six months nurturing, and not want to find those suddenly "infested" or outright replaced with rapidly spreading brushes and fruit trees.

Well you could put some limits on what's changed... like not flat tiles, not adjacent to roads, not on deed, etc.

But yeah, if you can get saplings for them it's less of an issue and probably not worh the hassle.

8 hours ago, Brash_Endeavors said:

One problem with randomly changing X percentage of trees or grassland to orange, is some people may have tree farms, pastures or majestic oak plazas that they spent six months nurturing, and not want to find those suddenly "infested" or outright replaced with rapidly spreading brushes and fruit trees. You know how some people feel about fruit trees. This way actually gives a lot more control to players. If some people do not enjoy foraging/botanizing, but still want new plants and crops such as herb gardens oranges cucumbers paprika etc, I am sure there are other players thrilled to sell these. The price would never get that high because they are actually super easy to find. I got a lot more orange sprouts than I did cotton pumpkins or wemp, while foraging/botanizing for the new crops.  

The difference with the old flower bug is that players don;t need GM help as they can now  fix the issue in their own local area quite easily. In addition, to plant a flower literally requires you to "kill" a flower, while a spout represents an unending supply of future sprouts. It does not take long to find an orange or hazelnut  sprout,  I would say they are more common than ivy/rose/grape seedlings. Once you find one, you can keep picking sprouts off the growing trees and expand your new "orchard" which makes it different than the flower bug where getting one specimen to spread was actually very difficult. 

I think the current "solution" --- allowing us to forage for the sprouts then tend and gather more sprouts from the ones we plant -- is the ideal one. I was here when they added the new linden walnut chestnut fir trees, but frankly can't recall how they introduced them to the servers, but I can't  imagine it was as easy a solution as just forage/botanize for sprouts, 

I appreciate the viewpoints you've listed here (and you reminded me of how much I seem to hate lemon trees lately).

The deed angle does make it tricker for sure.

~Nappy

Yea, I agree with Brash on the new plant sprouts. Just forage or botanize for them, plant and wait for sprouts to be picked. Some servers even give 5-15 sprouts per tree when picked. In not too long a time you can have huge forests planting them. Just depends upon what one enjoys doing and pursuing that old elusive thing called patience. Might be a nice name for a deed too...

=Ayes= 

I can confirm that both hazelnut bushes and orange tree's are growing beautifully, I've received sprouts from both, crop system works great, with the fix, but the developers will need to make sure that is working properly before the beta goes live, so we the fix becomes superceded.

a message to the dev's before next alpha please throw in some alcohol beverage recipes as in beer whisky and vodka recipes that we can use with the still, I've tried to use it to make said items but when I press lore, it comes up with no known recipe, so we need to get that sorted out as well..

looking forward to the next alpha up-date to see what is fixed and what is still being a bug.

just a little update, started harvesting grapes today and the new system is off the charts lol, i'm residing in Westlake, and to the south is a large grape and olive area, the olive trees down there are thick as mud, not to mention the camellias that exist down there too. I've done one small area around the where the olive groves are, and already accumulated 600+ grapes, last time I did grape harvesting down there, I got that many for the whole area, which is roughly 100x100 tiles I would guess,

I planted 3 rows of white grapes and I ended up with well over 400, they were mostly just at maturity stage so this is quite small, but I would say by next season i'm going to have a lot more grapes in storage lol

kudos to the dev team for this new addition

I'm glad to see not every thing will make it to WU cause that would over time kill WO and the reason to keep developing the core game. Retrograde and dev team go I back this. Just setting here studying and waiting for the live version. Adding stuff to WU is easy but 1 thing has got me stumped and I really think it needs a overhaul bad.

Walls/fences for the love of god please over haul the implementation of this. There is just way to many files to have to alter/change to add in new walls. It needs to be stream lined like adding items to the game simple easy and to the point.

Retrograde plz ask the dev team to redo the system for walls to be more on the line of items.

i have no idea what you just said lol, If someone can interpret it for me that'd be great LOL

anyway, I've just done half of the southern blue grapes, I lost count how many vines there were, but it came out at 2600 grapes, pre 1.3 it would have been around 300 at best.