Sign in to follow this  
Angelklaine

New Servers? Good or Bad?

When players generally think of adding another server or two they pattern them on the same basic concepts of the current ones. In that case they are unnecessary as they add nothing new in terms of game play. Yet I can think of two types of new servers that would draw players to them both old and new.

1. A peaceful server where there are no hostile mobs at all that will attack them. Just eliminate these mobs altogether and players there can go about their pursuits without these mobs pestering them. A very simple change with little (if any) Dev adjustments in coding necessary. This is an option which is unavailable to any WO player now. This means no Rifts there either!

2. A hunting server geared towards that aspect. As I would personally have no interest in this I have no suggestions as to how it should be setup, so I will leave those details to those who have a preference for that. Again, this would be a pretty simple one to setup by just packing it with more of various types of mobs and maybe a few ones exclusive to it.

Both of these types of servers are not more of the same old basic gameplay but more designed for those specific playstyle preferences. Mobs or no mobs, that is the question. Otherwise another new server that operates on the same concept as all the rest, nope.

=Ayes=

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Ayes said:

1. A peaceful server where there are no hostile mobs at all that will attack them. Just eliminate these mobs altogether and players there can go about their pursuits without these mobs pestering them. A very simple change with little (if any) Dev adjustments in coding necessary. This is an option which is unavailable to any WO player now. This means no Rifts there either!

=Ayes=

I like this idea very much! 

Would make it easier to relax in-game when RL demands my attention at any moment.

Not to mention all that armor we always have to wear chaffs.  Nothing but cotton pie-jamas on the peaceful island!

• Like 3

How about a giant earthquake that adds land to existing islands?  or a big volcano?

6 hours ago, Mavv said:

Would be interesting to use the epic portal and pick three new different servers to explore. Valrei, Jackal and Seris could all have different biomes that you could portal over too, different mobs, weather and seasons ect.

This I would like to see for sure.

I keep hearing people saying that Epic was a good idea poorly carried out. To me it looks like more land that is just going to waste with low pop.

Over the last year I have thought many times that it would be really cool to see a server open with a lot of small islands. There would be enough space for everyone to go build, have access to water and be able to sail, and a greater sense of community. We don't need big mountains. People need to be able to get rockshards for building, but big mountains just take up a lot of space and make it virtually inaccessible (some can argue you could get up to the top, but very very few people actually care to do that).

One idea would be to make 3 small maps, having islands randomly scattered all around with a lot of sand and small forests and no mountains, then players would have to sail to other servers to get rockshards and wood. That would be a hassle for some players but a good objective for others who like the small islands. In return for traveling for resources, they get a small area, close to water and easy transportation. You could sail from another servers right to the middle of the map and to your island. Look at how many people live on the coasts of other servers and how few actually go inland. 

The next of 3 servers would be a place mostly covered in low slope rocks, which would make for a good hunting ground / source for rockshards for other islands. It would be possible to build there but you would have to get sand/dirt from another map. Again, it would be worth traveling for resources for some people who want to have the hunting ground and live on a unique map type. There could be an increased amount of ore veins on this map, making it worth the trip for people from other servers. 

The last of the three servers could be 3 or 4 large islands, like a mini version of existing servers, with water and a spawn in the middle. Each place would only be accessible by boat, which would make them a challenge to inhabit, but they would contain all the resources needed to make a nice deed. 

The existing problem with servers seems to be that the majority of land is inaccessible--especially in Xanadu. We don't need these huge mountains everywhere. It's easy enough to dig a hole and create a mine entrance in the rock under the dirt. It shouldn't take hours to go from the ocean to your deed on foot, on any map.

One or all of these maps could feature a mob that doesn't spawn on any other map. We have tons and tons of trolls, and very few uniques. There is a huge gap between troll strength and unique strength. It would be nice to see a new mob with difficulty somewhere in the middle, with a less common supply than trolls but not something one needs to spend months trying to find. The idea of Chaos is neat because of the other mobs that spawn there, but most people aren't willing to risk a PVP server just to go hunting for something interesting.

There have been some good ideas in this thread, already. The point is that we have been thinking more about size than quality. What gamers need to make Wurm exciting again is not larger size, but variety.

I don't think a new settleable server is a good idea as it would spread out the player base even further, and the player base is already quite a bit smaller compared to what it was at in some of the previous years. I also doubt it would change much for your friend as it sounds like he's bored. A new server would entertain him for perhaps a few months and then he'd be bored again. He's likely better off taking a break and playing some other games, and then returning to Wurm in the future.

Now something like a hunting server, where you can't construct buildings/fences or found deeds, would be quite interesting. Especially if creature density is higher there, etc.

i dont think too highly of creating new servers over fixing the existing ones. at least settleable ones.

for hunting or biome specific ones i would agree but not yet.

first i'd like to see animal crossing and such introduced so that when traveling to a hunting server you can actually bring a decent mount, maybe a wagon, to haul back the loots.

In Wurm's history such things have been discussed over and over. Changes were made to address vast empty lands or overpopulated ones. Some server too boring, another too risky. Too small, too big. You speak of temporary "fun" servers but it has been tried and it was a flop. Random teraforming events on epic left most of us annoyed with the land destruction done. New servers were added and we made them mirror models of the ones we already had. A new super server was created (Xanadu) and still isnt enough.

The main problem is, we didn't lack ideas or the will for changes  -we just did things wrong.

What I disagree in:

We are too spread thin atm and there's not enough players for 'some' things while to many for 'other' things.

Example, PvP is almost kept alive between 20-30 players all in all. Epic is dead. On the other hand, a dragon killing or a rift draw too many people to be an actual adventure. We even announce these events and give time for all to arrange their time plans. When all is flat and uneventful we are bored and ask for new lands?

We don't need new lands. We need changes.

What I agree in:

1. Animal crossing servers. This HAS to be done.

2. Give Epic islands to Chaos. Don't bring Epic accounts to life, if you don't want protests or whatever. But Chaos is too close quarters for casual PvPers and "weekend warriors" and has absolutely no immersion. The hardcore PvPers will only dwindle with time. They don't fight for anyone or anything. They don't belong anywhere.  Add Epic lands as they worked on Epic. As Kingdom bases. As citizen provinces.

How much land can a Kingdom occupy on them? Whatever they win on main Chaos Island (HOTA, Tower Caps, etc) Add Capital citadels as spawn points (that are safe) and let players build barrack flagpoints that can be sieged. Tweak the points system to reward that. Finally, REMOVE skill gains completely from the central Chaos island and limit deeds to 20x20. Also, add a King's Quest. Kings should be proven worthy and then voted by the citizens from a list of heroes who proved themselves. (no, killing some obscure mob that is hidden in a cave or deed by a small group, wasn't right). 3 months reign and then new voting.

All this will lead to proper citizens living on kingdom lands with the sense of belonging and move the PvPers -that still skill up- to also have a base at "Home" while Chaos -the contested lands, will have more things to contest about and less safe castles to hide behind. You can PvP everywhere but if you go to Chaos island -you go with a purpose!

3. Xanadu is too big and mountains too high. Creates impassable areas (mostly for animals to cross) and looong routes for anyone to trade or keep a community connection by proximity. All trading deeds move on coastal spots for this reason and only sparse hermits live in the mainland Xanadu. It needs cutting down to size or.. terraforming events. This is up to Wurm staff to think about, however, I believe most of us consider Xanadu just as a 'resources server'.

4. A copy of Xanadu with lower mountain peaks and more hills, that changes terrain from North to South (snow to desert) treated as a "wild hunt" server.

Deeds limited to 11x11 maximum (hunting posts or trade posts) and let this server be with random unique spawns (kind of like the home of unique kings) without timers. Doesn't matter if a dragon was killed yesterday, it can still respawn today. Or in a week. Or.. who knows?

5. Humanoid mobs should eventually form some pseudo-AI groups or mini communities. I don't know anyone who wouldn't love to see a group of trolls lead by a troll captain that built a wooden palisade barrack and wait for a team of players to challenge them. It doesnt have to be true and complex AI. Just random spawn of a troll captain, triggers a rally to trolls in area and the creation of a 7x7 palisade fort. If this is added on the proposed new "hunting server" the risk of getting a troll barrack in someone's deed perimeter is limited.

6. We, the community must start playing the game with more ethics and fellowship manners. We move to a faraway land, turn a forest into a steppe to have hunt spawns, build a huge castle and grind to be able to craft anything we 'might' need just to be self sufficient. After a year of going at it, we realize nobody ever visits to see our 'grand castle' or use our elaborate designed "Inn" (lol) and we find ourselves bored. We didn't start playing Wurm to repeat grinding actions in the 1st place, we started to live an adventure on a sandbox survival game. Somewhere along the way we sold that out, just like we gave armors and weapons to starting noobs...

• Like 2

I like the ideas... smaller time limited servers seems a great way to making stepping stones tin the right direction b4 klarge changes are decided upon and implemented for us adventurous types.. but another way to increase new player retention is to have even more acticites for the new player.. and I don't mean just fighting and stuff.. since that's an easyskill to increase and thus become better .. but since this is playuer driven game do like Gunnbjorn id and create mazes or trading sales or other activites that are self serve and open always tto accommodate different playtimes and styles.. we as apopulation can definitely make this game more interesting we don't have to rely on the devs.. I really like deed surfing and checking out what you Veterans nbuild or showcase on the forums b4 I build my stuff I almost expect so please include us newbies in these new activities.. as we are the ones that generally buy up all your equipment as we are unskilled to make ort enchant our own..give back a little...just like we support ourt favourite crafters..

over and out..still here below the sun and stars above ground north of south and east of west...

This has been better than I imagined. Great ideas have come forth from the community. I have noticed a lot of people have mentioned a hunting server. I personally think that the no deeds on server idea is great: allow people to build, but no deeds. Removes permanency.

What about an HotS server? I think someone mentioned it.

On 2/3/2017 at 0:50 PM, Ayes said:

When players generally think of adding another server or two they pattern them on the same basic concepts of the current ones. In that case they are unnecessary as they add nothing new in terms of game play. Yet I can think of two types of new servers that would draw players to them both old and new.

h

2. A hunting server geared towards that aspect. As I would personally have no interest in this I have no suggestions as to how it should be setup, so I will leave those details to those who have a preference for that. Again, this would be a pretty simple one to setup by just packing it with more of various types of mobs and maybe a few ones exclusive to it.

Both of these types of servers are not more of the same old basic gameplay but more designed for those specific playstyle preferences. Mobs or no mobs, that is the question. Otherwise another new server that operates on the same concept as all the rest, nope.

=Ayes=

Personally I believe they should just removed Trolls, Unique's, and Rifts on the Freedom servers 

But add a Hunting server that could be connected by Portals with high end daily content

On 02/03/2017 at 2:06 AM, Retrograde said:

challenge was a short shot pvp server designed to last only a few months each round, not designed to be settled or cultivated.

Basically Challenge existed after complaints changed Epic to the mess it is now, from its origimal announced purpose as a short term scenario game. ?

Edited by Makarus

One of my issues with the world of Wurm is that all the (PvE) servers are, for the most part, just more of the same. Variation in kind would be great.

1. Hunting server.

No deeds, no houses, no building or mining at all. Bring your horse, your food and your gear and face the wilds. Frequent rifts and uniques, which would be more dangerous without the ability to choose the time and place of battle. Each island could be carefully designed for a specific level of combat ability. Wolves and lions on one, nothing weaker than greenish champion trolls on another. GMs could add "ruins" or caves with treasure for events and such.

2. Peaceful server.

As was mentioned before, a server where there is nothing hostile to the players. Enjoy and live in peace.

3. Different biomes.

An arctic server covered in snow for 6 months of the year, a tropical server of eternal summer constant rain and volcanoes, a desert server where sand threatens to consume everything. Each with their own unique plants and resources that can be exported for inter-server trade.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Darmalus said:

One of my issues with the world of Wurm is that all the (PvE) servers are, for the most part, just more of the same. Variation in kind would be great.

1. Hunting server.

No deeds, no houses, no building or mining at all. Bring your horse, your food and your gear and face the wilds. Frequent rifts and uniques, which would be more dangerous without the ability to choose the time and place of battle. Each island could be carefully designed for a specific level of combat ability. Wolves and lions on one, nothing weaker than greenish champion trolls on another. GMs could add "ruins" or caves with treasure for events and such.

2. Peaceful server.

As was mentioned before, a server where there is nothing hostile to the players. Enjoy and live in peace.

3. Different biomes.

An arctic server covered in snow for 6 months of the year, a tropical server of eternal summer constant rain and volcanoes, a desert server where sand threatens to consume everything. Each with their own unique plants and resources that can be exported for inter-server trade.

I have always thought that servers based on level of difficulty would be a great idea! Make it easier for the new players to get into the game and add a bit of extra challenge for more experienced players if they choose that playstyle. Absolutely agree!

3 hours ago, Joelle said:

I have always thought that servers based on level of difficulty would be a great idea! Make it easier for the new players to get into the game and add a bit of extra challenge for more experienced players if they choose that playstyle. Absolutely agree!

I think most players think the same in this. Different biomes seem like a good thing. Hunting servers seem like a good thing as well. Not so sure about different difficulties. I am opposed against theme park ideas that completely take away the risk off a game. I think that is something you need to work towards yourself. Being able to afk on a clay patch in the middle of a forest should be a dangerous decision, and no matter how trivial it is, choosing between having a Templar or not should have it's consequences. Plus is another silver sink the devs need.

On 2/3/2017 at 0:50 PM, Ayes said:

Time to pack my bags, as I would so move my deed to this magical troll-free paradise. :lol:

Edited by Benie
  • Like 1

On 02/02/2017 at 4:29 PM, Angelklaine said:

He has built every type of deed,

Impossible, i can only imagine you mean that he has built on every type of landscape.

If we were to have a new server/island then i believe it'd be a good idea to experiment with biomes that affect more than the weather. 
new landscapes would be born with the potential for many new opportunities. 

We need natural disasters that wreck deeds and lands! And Zombie, Werewolf, Vampire infestations to pop up from time to time :)

On 28/2/2017 at 0:32 AM, Corwen said:

We need natural disasters that wreck deeds and lands! And Zombie, Werewolf, Vampire infestations to pop up from time to time :)

it was tried on Epic, and while I wasnt there, it would seem it didnt work.

I think that there is plenty of land, but enough variation.  The idea of biomes that keeps being repeated seems to be the best.   Im not sure about restricting resources, or even bonuses based on servers, since there will always be balance issues.  But I agree that each server could have personal, unique traits, be it different climate, different mobs types or ratios, or any other trait that is beyond player control.

On 02/02/2017 at 4:06 PM, elvenwing said:

If you want something new go explore xanadu.... i have trouble believing theres not space there.... what would a new island bring that the continent sized map doesnt have.....

On 03/02/2017 at 3:30 AM, Niki said:

new islands + promotional draw is a powerful combination if done well.

at this point it devs should be used as a last resort if all else fails.

xanadu was to big

Xanadu is nice and INSANELY huge but there are a few things to have in mind:

1. Mountains, mountains everywhere

It's the most difficult landscape to explore and build, by far. Most ppl need to basically reshape entire hills and dump insane amounts of dirt into the sea if they want to have any space at sea level. Newcomers lack both the skill and the knowledge to accomplish that. Moving stuff around can be a pain. Most forests have a good deal of steep terrain that horses won't climb, meaning that cutting and moving wood will be harder. 

2. Lots of mobs on the north, no mobs at the south

From my experience, all northern Xanadu is swarming with mobs. I mean, INSANE amounts of aggressive mobs all over the place. Great for grinding up your FS and you never run out of food, but definitely very hard for newcomers. Every time I go around my deed to mine or cut some wood I usually spend most of the time luring tons of mobs to my guards.
On the other hand, sailing on the south I see like no mobs at all.

3. It has more horses swimming than walking

As you probably guessed from 1.1 and 1.2, one does not simply travel by land. You'll be sailing all the time. There's a lot of lakes, so ppl need to build tunnels everywhere. And if you sail around the island, specially around D24, you'll see "seahorses" by the hundreds.

4. Feels like farming in Colombia

The terrain is just too steep to farm. You would be better off having a farm on any other server.

5. It's usually faster to go to another server's Rift

The rift usually spawn near the center, Xanadu is too large, traveling by land is a pain and sailing inland crossing all those tunnels takes a lot of time. Not worth it.

6. Despite all that, you'll love it

Xanadu is a beautiful place and there's many friendly players living in there who would be happy to assist you (including me). Keep those tips in mind and be prepared. Here the newbie's first priority is a rowing boat.

Edited by Mosquete
typo
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Mosquete said:

May I take your comments and expound upon them? Just for fun since I like your comments...

Xanadu is nice and INSANELY huge but there are a few things to have in mind:

1. Mountains, mountains everywhere

It's the most difficult landscape to explore and build, by far. Most ppl need to basically reshape entire hills and dump insane amounts of dirt into the sea if they want to have any space at sea level. Newcomers lack both the skill and the knowledge to accomplish that. Moving stuff around can be a pain. Most forests have a good deal of steep terrain that horses won't climb, meaning that cutting and moving wood will be harder. 

I would decrease the height of the entire map by 65%, use the exact same map as Xan just reduce the height of all the elevations. My experience with map generators in the past makes me think much of the bare rock tiles would get covered with dirt as the elevations received a "trim" and that would equal even more usable land.

2. Lots of mobs on the north, no mobs at the south

From my experience, all northern Xanadu is swarming with mobs. I mean, INSANE amounts of aggressive mobs all over the place. Great for grinding up your FS and you never run out of food, but definitely very hard for newcomers. Every time I go around my deed to mine or cut some wood I usually spend most of the time luring tons of mobs to my guards.
On the other hand, sailing on the south I see like no mobs at all.

Leave it and remove 4 of the 8 starter towns and put the 4 in the far south. Let the natural movement of both mobs and settlers go north. Use the situation as a strength... and take away the starter town from Newspring island. After seeing that place my nostalgia for New Town evaporated.

3. It has more horses swimming than walking

As you probably guessed from 1.1 and 1.2, one does not simply travel by land. You'll be sailing all the time. There's a lot of lakes, so ppl need to build tunnels everywhere. And if you sail around the island, specially around D24, you'll see "seahorses" by the hundreds.

Remove all the coin dropped through Foraging and make the coin drop from any animal in the water. An incentive to help deal with the shortcomings of the mob spawn mechanic in Wurm. Problem solved. Even I hunt Seahorses on Xan and getting coin from them would be awesome.

4. Feels like farming in Colombia

The terrain is just too steep to farm. You would be better off having a farm on any other server.

See my comments on point 1.

5. It's usually faster to go to another server's Rift

The rift usually spawn near the center, Xanadu is too large, traveling by land is a pain and sailing inland crossing all those tunnels takes a lot of time. Not worth it.

Xanadu was made long before the Rifts were a gleam in Rolf's eye... add more Rifts... one every 3 days or quicker. More locations for Rift LZ's.

6. Despite all that, you'll love it

Xanadu is a beautiful place and there's many friendly players living in there who would be happy to assist you (including me). Keep those tips in mind and be prepared. Here the newbie's first priority is a rowing boat.

Exactly.

If WU didn't require STEAM, I would make my own WU server and this is very close to how I would do it. Xanadu 2.0

Edited by geode
  • Like 1