Sign in to follow this  
Yldrania

Quicker Option To Destroy Fences

If only there was a tool designed for breaking down walls and gates... something that could generate the force required with minimal effort... something that swings back and forth maybe... suspended as it where on rope or chains to ram into stuff... perhaps even some kind of shelter around the framework to cover the people manning it to and fro.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Klaa said:

If only there was a tool designed for breaking down walls and gates... something that could generate the force required with minimal effort... something that swings back and forth maybe... suspended as it where on rope or chains to ram into stuff... perhaps even some kind of shelter around the framework to cover the people manning it to and fro.

The main thing is that when you're a new player and you deed, your mind doesn't automatically go: "HEY, I CAN'T BASH FENCES SO I'M GONNA BUILD A CATAPULT TO DO IT FASTER". When you're a new player and you can't bash fences down with reasonable speed, you go: "This game sucks, I'm gonna play something else". It's a small thing that makes life for newbies a lot harder - especially now that the majority of spaces have been previously deeded areas.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, armyskin said:

He means a ram not a catapult anyway.

My response remains the same haha

• Like 1

Funny thing is when I was a new player (many many many many moons ago) my mind went, "Need something bigger, with more Oomph."

• Like 1

Just now, Klaa said:

Funny thing is when I was a new player (many many many many moons ago) my mind went, "Need something bigger, with more Oomph."

You're obviously not the typical new player then. Probably why you're still around. You're one of us crazies hahaha

Just now, Yldrania said:

You're obviously not the typical new player then. Probably why you're still around. You're one of us crazies hahaha

Granted not a whole lot of new players running straight into Wild on Wurm's official launch in 2006.

For some reason, other players kept thinking I was an alt and/or a GM at the beginning.... despite protestations to the contrary.

Well, in any case we are getting off point. The point is: If we want to make it possible for people to settle in areas that have been previously deeded more easily and make the game more appealing to newer and less experienced players, we need an option to quickly destroy fences.

Some great suggestions have been made for that in this thread, the best one IMHO: Have it require a specific tool such as pliers that will make it necessary for the mayor to really intend to destroy the fence to avoid accidental destruction, and give us a chance to destroy fences and gates on deed with one click.

• Like 1

In similar contexts, I have always been for letting players dismantle walls and the like, using pliers that had no use for a long time.

Perhaps even a skill, where greater proficiency allows for more and more materials recycled. Better qls, secondary components, and etc.

Still do not understand why I can bash 80ql house wall in 1-2 actions (0,5-1 minute) and must bash tall stone wall fence by 8 minutes, when the house wall is stronger in all terms.

Not to mention that I can just "puff" whole house at once.

wogic at full power

Edited by Wilczan

When I was a new player my friend was bashing fences with troll clubs on our newly expanded deed.

I said there must be an easier way to do this, I worked on my fine carpentry until I could build a catapult.

Made the catapult and then worked my skill up on those fences, it was much more interesting than using a troll club.

My offer stands, if you want a trebeche for your deed I will build one for you.

That's what Pingvinen did when we were newbies also.

Helps to be two thou, one to look where the shards land for perfect adjustment of aim :)

6 hours ago, Cecci said:

That's what Pingvinen did when we were newbies also.

Helps to be two thou, one to look where the shards land for perfect adjustment of aim :)

When possible use alts for on the spot checking. 8)

Catapult enough things though you get used to having no checkers.

[19:04:10] QL=40.923862, dam=49.60751 VS after one hit [19:04:43] QL=40.923862, dam=49.685925

Bump for faster wall destruction :) 

on deed only - pickaxe > sap fondation > fence crumble to a pile of mats (on or off your feet depending on RNG)

+1

(i'd also suggest a keg of blackpowder but some peeps hate things going boom :/)

Edited by Odynn
  • Like 1

With the correct tools and stuff it is possible to destroy fences even at low skill, but it is tedious so bump :)

There was some hidden fix-nerf?

80 ql house walls, wich I destroyed in 1-2 hits, now need 5 hits (around 20-28 dmg in one hit).

I'am mayor, walls on the second floor, not the bottom.

Edited by Wilczan

On 2/6/2017 at 7:09 PM, Yldrania said:

[19:04:10] QL=40.923862, dam=49.60751 VS after one hit [19:04:43] QL=40.923862, dam=49.685925

Bump for faster wall destruction :) 

Looks very fast to me. (Honest! :D )

I look at it this way: working to destroy something is playing the game. It's time that you take if you want results. I don't see why it "must" be shorter than 10 hits. They're 10 hits and it's gone.

And if you really want, for many fences, you always have catapult.

I know I'm in minority here, but I'm not a fan of suggestions that keep wanting to do things with one click, instead of playing the game.

By the way, you get some body strength for bashing, last I recall.

Quick notes on the OP:

- if the fences lasted a long time, sure they were higher ql, but also have damage already done;

- I understand your use case (much larger deed than most new players I've seen btw), but you chose a large area full of fences and you're not using the right tool for the job;

- as for worrying that new players will deed "mostly" still built areas: during latest several+ years of wurm they don't. Places decay. Lots of areas that have been deeded in the past are empty today. And I seem to see about the same percentage of questions in CA/chat/forum on destroying a fence or pavement, in time. Or maybe even less cases, than there used to be. Not more.

And every now and then one does take the time to learn to use a catapult, and have some damn fun.