Sign in to follow this  
Batta

Pixel format not accelerated

I'm able to download Steam and WU onto my PC, and to get all the way through the sign in process for a server, but then it returns the error "could not create window with selected width and height. Pixel format not accelerated."

I don't understand much of what these things mean, but I gather my graphics driver needs to be upgraded. However, I've tried every site I know, and keep getting error messages about incompatible hardware. Here's one of the messages: "NVIDIA Installer cannot continue. This graphics driver could not find compatible graphics hardware. This NVIDIA graphics driver is not compatible with this version of Windows."

Someone suggested that my " graphics card is not OpenGL compatible."  I installed OpenGL Extensions Viewer and discovered I have only version 1.1.  I tried for a couple of hours to find a way to upgrade, but was unsuccessful.

Windows 10 and Java 8 are updated to the most recent versions.  

I had been playing on my little laptop up until yesterday morning, when it gave up the ghost. Now I need to try to get my PC running the game, at least until my laptop can be fixed or replaced.  Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Here are some screenshots that might give you information that can help (I hope):

Steam_RE_Video_driver.jpgupload a picture

00001.jpgimages upload

Open_GL_Viewer.jpg

Edited by Batta

There seems to be a problem with the graphics adapter. It is possible this is happening from having an incorrect driver installed. It also may be due to installing Win10 on an excessively old computer. 

Are you sure it is an NVIDIA card or are you taking that from the DXDIAG popup?  I am wondering if it might be reading a chipset from an NVidia motherboard, rather than an NVidia GPU.  or reading a driver that is not the correct one for your device.

Do you know how to open Device Manager in Win10? When I have severe problems with a graphics adapter being recognized properly, i usually open Device manager, go to Display Adapter, DELETE whatever it shows as display adapter, then reboot and let the computer redetect the adapter and choose the driver it thinks is the best choice.   Afterwards, open DXDIAG again but this time click the SAVE ALL INFORMATION button, Post the entire report here. Tell me if you need help with that step. Its very long but we need all of it.  Sometimes DXDIAG shows the mainboard/motherboard model and I can track down information from that. If you know the computer model name, such as  HP Pavilion P6203W or something similar, also post that here. There may be integrated graphics or I can look up what adapter normally comes with a specific model. 

I will also do some googling to see what other things we might try.  Don;t get frustrated, i am sure we can track this down somehow.,  There is some kind of video adapter hardware sending a signal to your monitor , and that is an excellent sign your adapter -- whatever it is -- is not totally dead. 

Edited by Brash_Endeavors

"  I installed OpenGL Extensions Viewer and discovered I have only version 1.1.   "  

If you have a very old card that only supports OpenGL v1.1,, there is nothing you can download from the internet to upgrade it, it is a hardware issue and it means it needs a newer videocard. I can look up some cheap $30 grapohics cards that will run Wurm if it turns out your display adapter is simply too old for Wurm.

However until we figure what exact hardware you have, that may not be the problem.  It may be simply that Win10 has slapped on a generic display driver that only supports OPENGL1.1

download CPU-Z and lets see what it thinks you have as a display adapter;

http://www.cpuid.com/downloads/cpu-z/cpu-z_1.78-en.exe

In addition to checking the GRAPHICS tab, also check MAINBOARD and see if it gives a motherboard model in case you are using integrated graphics. 

It is  possible that Windows 10 simply does not support this older video card.  . How long ago did you switch it over to Win10? Is going back to Win7 or whatever you had before, an option? See also this link, it explains why one would get "Microsoft basic display adapter" instead of the correct model of graphics card:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/the-graphics-driver-shows-as-microsoft-basic/781a8759-8e3e-4f2e-9179-e7e0beb9151b

My suspicion at this point is that your graphics card is ok but is simply not supported by any Win10 drivers.  If it is something like a Geforce GT240/6150SE/6600GT, it might be possible to run it on Win10 using a Win8 driver such as this one.  This specific driver was mentioned on many sites as working fine for "slightly older" videocards not "officially" supported by Win10.   

This is only a guess but in your situation i would downgrade to Windows 7. Im quite confident win10 has somekind of system requirements and your PC is way under those because its kinda old. Might be also that win10 doesnt even support such an old drivers what your pc needs.

I would suggest a new video card.  The one I recommend would be the Nvidia 730 series.  They are cheap, but powerful for Wurm.  They are newer type cards so won't go out dated anytime soon.

I recommend this card.  You can go with the Nvidia 720 series if you want cheaper than this 730, but I think you'll keep the 730 longer in ownership since it's more power.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127906&cm_re=nvidia_730-_-14-127-906-_-Product

Thank you guys for your advice. I'm a little lost, as there are a lot of bits that I don't understand, so I'll see if I can get someone more knowledgeable to help me interpret it.  I'll let you know how it goes!

Well short version is, I would try this LEGACY driver even though it says Win8, because it actually works in Win10 for people whose videocards are not "officially" supported or recognized by Win10 (which most of us suspect is the problem)

http://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/56378

it has worked for a number of Win10 users who have videocards similar to geforce 6600GT/7600GS or nvidia GT240 that have the necessary  OpenGL support for Wurm,  but are not supported by Win10.

PLAN B, if that driver does not help, I agree with nicedreams that a GT730 is a relatively inexpensive way to go, though I'd suggest one a little cheaper ($36.99+free shipping)because I don't think you should put any more money into an aging system than absolutely necessary. However we'd first need to confirm this computer even has a PCI-E slot and is not one of the stripped down motherboards some computers ship with,  that have integrated only.  the CPU-Z information would help with that.

PLAN C is to reinstall Win7 or whatever the computer had before it was upgraded to Win10. You might lose some data and need a friend to help if you are not savvy with computers. 

• Like 1