Sign in to follow this  
Benie

Later and later Solsets?

So I've been noticing this game-wide (not on a specific server). I've been trying to calculate when Sol rises and sets (in determining when to log in as I don't like traveling at night). And I've calculated Sol having a two hour daylight and a one hour night cycle.

It used to set around #:55 on the second hour, and rise within the next hour at #:55(aka when the birds start chirping again).

Yet now these figures aren't lining up anymore. It's setting earlier and rising much later than I've calculated. Is this normal (in simulating Daylight Savings Time ending in Wurm)? Or.. just "Wogic"?

Edited by Benie

1 hour ago, Benie said:

So I've been noticing this game-wide (not on a specific server). I've been trying to calculate when Sol rises and sets (in determining when to log in as I don't like traveling at night). And I've calculated Sol having a two hour daylight and a one hour night cycle.

It used to set around #:55 on the second hour, and rise within the next hour at #:55(aka when the birds start chirping again).

Yet now these figures aren't lining up anymore. It's setting earlier and rising much later than I've calculated. Is this normal (in simulating Daylight Savings Time ending in Wurm)? Or.. just "Wogic"?

I'm afraid I don't know the answer to your question, and hope someone does, but in the meantime...

I'm sure you know about @Yaga's Wurmclock?

It makes it really easy to quickly check if it is day or night.  Harvest calendar is also very handy.  Doesn't depend on the game so you can leave it open while you work and hop in when daylight hits.  Or you can choose to post-pone a break because it is still night.

Good luck and God speed.

edit: ps.  I'm with ya by the way.  At night, I'm by my forge, or scurrying to my mine.  If I get caught out while traveling, cozy campfire and staying put.  I think night adds a lot to Wurm in that regard.

Edited by Reylaark
yup
  • Like 1

Do any harvest calendars actually work? They're nice guidelines but seasons drift.

In order to answer the OP's question one must acquaint with a deeper understanding of how time is actually calculated, in Wurm.

My simplified explanation for what you are observing would be this;

Wurm Time is completely separate from RL Time, in the sense that server-shutdowns can skew the time that has passed in reality versus the Wurm environment.

Wurm Time runs 8x faster than RL time, that means that there are 8 Wurm Seconds in one RL second.

Wurm weeks are all 7 days, 24 hours per day, 4 weeks / 28 days per month, 12 months per year. So the year itself has 336 days.

However, this means that a full Wurm week (7 days), takes 21 hours in reality, just short of a full day. So thus you will almost never see these times co-relate or follow a consistent pattern.

I've not done any recent testing to see if perhaps there is some code to change Sol's Rise/Dawn times based on season, would be cool to try testing it though.

http://www.wurmpedia.com/index.php/Time

Also, possibly see

http://www.wurmpedia.com/index.php/Wurm_Universe

And

http://www.wurmpedia.com/index.php/AstroResearch_1

http://www.wurmpedia.com/index.php/AstroResearch_2

For more interesting and slightly relevant info.

Edited by whereami

Thanks for all the links and stuff, but I already know about WurmClock and how RL time isn't the same as Wurm time. That's been known to me for years.

And I've been using WurmClock to further prove (at the time) I was able to time out the exact point a Solset and Solrise happened(and by visibly watching it from my deed while looking at a RL clock). And now these numbers have been changed, with Sol setting earlier and rising later. I noticed this start to happen within the last "month" of Wurm Summer, and I just wonder if anyone feels if this is a normal thing.

Seeing how it isn't breaking the game, I assume it's normal. I just wish it would stay consistent with my calculations.

Edited by Benie

Maybe it is cause this is a swedish game and we get longer days in summer in Sweden?

For how long did you observe Sol setting and rising? A full Wurm year?

By chance, has your elevation changed?  Are you high up on a hill now and previously at sea level?

Today's sunset was measured at sea level at time:  "It is 19:12:04 on Luck day in week 1 of the starfall of Omens in the year of 1063".  I have been using a value of 19:10 for sunset time in my astronomical calculations for the last six months or so.   This is the time at which the center of Sol crosses the horizon which is a little harder to determine accurately than the time at which the lower edge of Sol first touches the horizon so a difference of two Wurm minutes (15 terrestrial seconds) is within the expected measurement error.  My original value of 19:10 was taken on "Wrath day in week 2 of the Snake's starfall in the year of 1061".  

Terrestrial time stamps (like the leftmost time in your Event logs) are of limited use for Wurm astronomy; use the game time instead.  Given this event line:

[13:28:56] It is 12:18:33 on Luck day in week 1 of the starfall of Omens in the year of 1063.

The game time 12:18:33 is what you need to focus on.  Wurm time runs 8x faster than terrestrial time but it stops for maintenance events whereas terrestrial time never does.   Also that leftmost timestamp is your local time in your timezone which may be subject to Daylight Savings time adjustment depending upon where you live.

You will find that Sol rise and Set times occur at the same game time always.  Unless you don't, in which case I want to know about it.

Edited by Gaffer
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Gaffer said:

You will find that Sol rise and Set times occur at the same game time always.  Unless you don't, in which case I want to know about it.

This! 

On 1/27/2017 at 10:36 PM, Cecci said:

Maybe it is cause this is a swedish game and we get longer days in summer in Sweden?

It works like that everywhere on the planet (except right on the equator, kinda) :P

• Like 1

On 1/27/2017 at 10:36 AM, Cecci said:

You are kidding yourself! It is dark more time in Wurm than it is light time....... it makes sweden a place I do not want to live! 

36 minutes ago, Bramson said:

You are kidding yourself! It is dark more time in Wurm than it is light time.......

It may feel that way,  but actually a Wurm night is only 1 real hour long,  while daylight lasts for 2 hours. 

Edited by Yaga

On 1/26/2017 at 10:25 PM, Chakron said:

Do any harvest calendars actually work? They're nice guidelines but seasons drift.

My harvest calendar is planting one each fruit bearing tree outside my main door.  Dumb but it works

I do have Yaga's excellent clock  When I smith/mine too much i loose track of morning and dusk. 

Edited by rapidron
more