Sign in to follow this  
Yldrania

Connect Your Mod To Wurm Unlimited On ModDB/IndieDB

Recently I've noticed that only one single mod is listed on the Wurm Unlimited IndieDB/ModDB page. I'd like to use this thread to bring the site to your attention, and give you a larger crowd of people to follow your mod as it is developed or after its release. 

IndieDB/ModDB is a great website to advertise and list your Wurm mods for free and offer your mod to every one of the hundreds of thousands of users of ModDB. Listing your game on the site will not only bring attention to your mod and server, it will also help you find other people for your modding team and people to play with as well as establish a community around your modification. 

Additionally, each listed mod will also help bring attention to Wurm Unlimited as a game - and through that also to Wurm Online, so it's a great way for you to help the game's community grow while gaining support and feedback for your mod!

You can find the game Wurm Unlimited listed here - every registered member can add a mod they're making to it! - Custom Link: http://www.moddb.com/games/wurm-unlimited 

• Like 1

my opinion, this site is senseless

and this...

Additionally, each listed mod will also help bring attention to Wurm Unlimited as a game - and through that also to Wurm Online, so it's a great way for you to help the game's community grow 

...say it all. 

You shouldnt think about exploit modders to get players back to WO and for WU-modders, this also would not make sense

I know this modsite since now i have read this forum thread and i am sure, the comunity will grow if potential players search for wurm unlimited in google, and will end up here or at steam, but not at a modlist for hundred games.

Eject

Edited by Eject

First off, 

25 minutes ago, Eject said:

and this...

Additionally, each listed mod will also help bring attention to Wurm Unlimited as a game - and through that also to Wurm Online, so it's a great way for you to help the game's community grow 

...say it all. 

You shouldnt think about exploit modders to get players back to WO and for WU-modders, this also would not make sense

What the heck is this exploit business you're talking about? Second, why are your trying to detoure other players from using the site based just your own personal opinion? If you don't like like it, don't use it.

On the subject of the ModDB, It looks good and I may put some of my mods on it. There is nothing bad about it and it surely wouldn't hurt to put a mod there and in WO forums mods section.

• Like 1

i dont know if exploit is the right word, my english is not so good, and as you said, yes this is my opinion and further you can put your mods where you like

but for me this site is senseless 1, for potential new players 2. for modders, the WO forum is good enough, better would be a own platform for mods that code club release

but again,,,my opinion, like you have your opinion ;)

We will se in some month what happens, i wish you all the best

The only thing that really bothered me with the statement was (combined): modders will bring new players to Wurm online.

thats not the sense why all of the good modders sitting day and night to improve wurm unlimited.

have a nice day

Eject

Edited by Eject

8 hours ago, Eject said:

i dont know if exploit is the right word, my english is not so good, and as you said, yes this is my opinion and further you can put your mods where you like

but for me this site is senseless 1, for potential new players 2. for modders, the WO forum is good enough, better would be a own platform for mods that code club release

but again,,,my opinion, like you have your opinion ;)

We will se in some month what happens, i wish you all the best

The only thing that really bothered me with the statement was (combined): modders will bring new players to Wurm online.

thats not the sense why all of the good modders sitting day and night to improve wurm unlimited.

have a nice day

Eject

What I meant with the phrase you seem to have an issue with - that it will help the community grow - was a general statement: Everything we Wurmians do that represents a part of the game outside of Wurm-related websites, helps the community grow. As such, when you list your mod on unrelated sites and some people may be intrigued by your mod or server, they might start playing Wurm and give it a shot - whether Wurm Unlimited or Wurm Online. With a community as small as ours, every new, serious player is welcome, and I brought it up on this topic because a lot of people in this community are interested in ways to help the community grow. If that is not the case for you, then that is perfectly fine, but there are plenty of others for whom this might be interesting news.

As for your issue with ModDB: I've been using ModDB as part of my development of indie games and mods for several games since 2013, and I've since released over 30 mods and 8 indie games. All the while, ModDB's community has been of great support to me - I've found other people to mod with, new projects when I had nothing to do, support with issues where they arose and I've managed to build communities of hundreds of players around my games and mods way before they were released. The site itself is free to use and the ads, even without adblocker, are very acceptable. The site doesn't steal any of your information, you do not need any real life information about yourself to sign up, and you can manage everything related to your mod with no effort, and mistakes are easily correctable. 

To sum it up: I respect your opinion on the site, but the negativity reflected in your previous statements really does not correctly portray the intention behind my words, or ModDB as a site and possibility for modders to build communities around their mods.

If I were to pick an external site to host/list mods on, it would be nexusmods. Not moddb. The layout of moddb is absolutely ancient. Players who are not tech-savvy will have extreme difficulty navigating the site.

I respect moddb for hosting many great total conversion mods for multiple different games, but nexusmods is the optimal choice for the situation that Wurm Unlimited is in.

• Like 1

I didn't see Wurm Unlimited on nexusmods. Is it easy to add that game as a possible upload target association? I use nexus to play modded Skyrim, NMM.exe is a nice mod manager.

Yes new games are allowed on Nexusmods. I don't know the process but you can see a great many games with 1 mod. It doesn't matter how obscure it is, you can add your game there.

We are currently working on adding Wurm Online to more sites like ModDB - including Nexusmods. With a little patience you'll be able to also advertise your mods there!

We need a site for mods to be uploaded to plain and simple. I have seen many posts about it. We have to have an organized area to add and search for mods. Either using the site the OP suggested or I can make a spot on Nexus for WU mods. Post here to voice your opinion or forever search for mods and the updates that go with.

@Governorcan you set up Nexus so that site's mod manager, "Nexus Mod Manager" can automatically install Ago's mod loader in addition to the mod? Or maybe we add a required companion mod system and a companion to most WU mods at this point would be Ago's mod loader. I"d also like to see version support with it.

I'd prefer if CodeClub had no way of interfering with all this because we don't need any moderation over it.

12 hours ago, Governor said:

We need a site for mods to be uploaded to plain and simple. I have seen many posts about it. We have to have an organized area to add and search for mods. Either using the site the OP suggested or I can make a spot on Nexus for WU mods. Post here to voice your opinion or forever search for mods and the updates that go with.

We have a site, it's called IndieDB, and you can do exactly that there. This is what this ad is about.

2 hours ago, joedobo said:

I'd prefer if CodeClub had no way of interfering with all this because we don't need any moderation over it.

CodeClub isn't trying to moderate or interfere with the modding community. If CC had any sort of moderation over a modding area, it would actually be rather beneficial for everyone, because it means that even if the person who holds the moderation rights goes inactive, there will be others to follow it and you won't end up having a site that dies because whoever is in charge of it loses interest. 

I understanding modding pages like that are a one-time creation effort, but with the wrong people to hold the rights to that it can get out of hand very quickly, so I don't think that CC is what you have to be worried about in this situation.

@YldraniaIn my experience CC is too overbearing and often I see what I think is moderators injecting there personal opnion in the process. As far as what CC intends to do, well what you think may be the case now may not be the case later. 10+ years of being involved with WO has made this clear to me. I'd actually prefer is the "moderation" was basically nothing. The mod site would be created with an anonymous alias and then deleted so no moderation can every take place.

Edited by joedobo

I dunno, as a modder myself I wan't to do things to bring players to WU, to WO to Wurm in general. More players for WU means more players for all servers, and more players with friends seeing them play on friends lists. More WO players means more that will quit in a couple months because of 20 cap skill and go buy a copy of WU. IMO it is a win win for WU. 

However, you keep saying advertise your mod....ehhhhhh nah. :D

The modding community is rather small, we would get lost in a large site like that. I would say a privately hosted gitlab with a central page to tie things together would be a better solution for us. Gives us all the repository resources like we already use with github, keeps us together, keeps our identity, would allow the modders to have full control over their own repositories, could get us a cool wurm related domain name.

I had discussed a modding site in the past, and I had considered setting it up, but people view me as the devil so I avoided it.