Sign in to follow this  
ozmods

remove server requirement for solo play

ok so I was thinking over my second coffee this morning, that solo play doesn't really need a DED server.

I think removing this would make life a lot simpler, all of the settings that get set in the DED server could be transferred to the client, eliminating the need for the server software, of course I know a lot will refute this idea, but I figure if you, like me don't like humans lol, this would make life a lot simpler for those who aren't tech savvy (I refunded this game when I first bought it because I couldn't get in game it took @MootRedvid for me to understand how it worked, I then repurchased it

It can be quite confusing, but you have to remember that its a copy of our setup, which is specifically built around client/server systems.

We are looking at options for hiding the server setup unless specifically s etting it up for others to play (or you wish to change default settings) and streamlining the process

• Like 1

Yup all good, thought maybe you could consider finding a wY to have a 'proper' singleplayer version of wurm, so those who want to SOLO play can, without the hassle of setting up DED servers

Eeeeeh isn't that what the "Start offline server" option does?

I do definitely agree that it would be good to have a more easily found and straightforward tutorial to starting one's fresh database including steps to add your own maps.

Not sure I'd want the server software somehow embedded into the client if logging off means killing your server too.  So if that's the plan, do leave the current server software with its solo play option up.  Mine's still "solo" (may change down the line) but I still leave it running almost 24/7 to give the forests some natural spreading and thinning (tweaking tree spread odds accordingly).