Sign in to follow this  
Maxthx

Bartle's Taxonomy

Part 1 - Bartle's Taxonomy - What Type of Player are You?

Spoiler

Part 2 - Balancing an MMO Ecosystem - Getting a Mix of Player Types

Spoiler

When I was linked to these videos all I could think of was "Someone should show this to the Wurm Team".

What type of game is Wurm? Which target audience is it shooting for? Do you think there is balance? Would you want to change the mix of players? Where do you fall in Bartle's Taxonomy?

• Like 5

I am generally an explorer, but when it comes to wurm I am an explorer and killer.

I'm a little from all groups, except killer, i haven't tried that one yet in wurm :)

Explorer largely; though these days a little more social since I've explored all there is to explore about wurm's magic...

Wurm appeals to all 4 categories of player.

Open world exploration allows explorers to well, explore.

Socializers enjoy villages, alliances, impalongs, and all that stuff.

Achievers love getting high skills.

And killers love conquering their enemies and the full item loot.

As for me, I think I'm a bit of a mix.

Explorer - I enjoy going out and hunting in new places, I always prospect whenever I see an exposed rock tile. I love getting to high places so I can get a good view of the surrounding lands.

Socializer - isn't a strong point I guess, but I'm certainly no hermit. I enjoy the strong bonds and teamwork that come through on pvp servers that is rarely seen on pve servers.

Achiever - While I don't particularly consider myself an achiever, I prefer to be more well rounded and generally self sufficient. I was known for being a really good horse breeder on epic and for having really high digging, but I'm too lazy to actually put it to use on any mega-projects.

Killer - The thrill you get in pvp is amazing, especially in wurm where there is real risk. Arena combat doesn't do it for me. there's no risk and there's no tangible reward(I couldn't care less about scoreboards). I've also got a bit of a mischievous streak which results in the occasional theft of unsecured goods. Before everyone puts me on kos, This basically only occurs at abandoned ruins on freedom but it is most certainly a pvp leaning aspect.

Definitely an explorer, a bit of an achiever, tiny bit of socializer. I've been more social in other games, but in Wurm, I'm less so, other than in Impalong season. 

I love the videos, and well, taxonomy in general. :D 

Edited by NeeNee

Neet,  I'm an explorer or achiever. I feel a little more drawn  to explorers.  And I despise killers!

Love how creatively these videos present the material.

Explorer probably fits me best.  I think that's why I like the cooking system as it is currently.  So many little variations to play with.  No rush, just putz around some and find interesting combinations.  There are cooking containers I haven't even touched yet.  Looking forward to it, just sooo much to do at any given moment.

Also why I love the architecture system in Wurm.  Lots of potential variation.  Lots of possible combinations.

To me, that's really fundamental to my love of Wurm in general.  Variation, possibilities, dream it up and try to build it.  Log in and try to live it.

I suppose the achievers might be put off by cooking?  Overly complicated and doesn't allow them to chase a single-minded, linear achievement as easily.

For me, achievement is ancillary.  I do like getting titles, but only as a means to an end that can enhance my exploration.  Just got Drover recently, but only chased 50 to play with 5-speeds (of all types).  The title is just fun from a roleplay/socialization standpoint.

Socialization... on a local scale, definitely.  I love having random unknown players travel by.  Even better when they need something, or I can help them find something locally.  The more distant over-arching chat channels tend to leave me a bit wanting.  I find the local channel, as desolate as it can often be, more immersive.  It's always a joyous occasion to meet the fellow traveler.  And when desolate, the silence doesn't really hurt.  I'm pretty busy anyway.

Killers... this is where I tend to break from the videos.  I feel like they're really stretching to find a justification for their existence.

Take Planetside 2 as an example.  Yes, a lot of killing, naturally.  But it seems to me the killers he describes are the truly annoying, poorly adjusted players that joined the opposite team just to destroy ships in safe spawn zones.  They hampered and destroyed every other player-type's ability to enjoy the game.

The killers, as the video describes them, aren't actually fond of killing achievers as achievers provide a challenge.  Schadenfreude is certainly not about the challenge.

These players served no positive value on the game whatsoever, nor on any other game I've ever encountered them.  A developer is never well-served leaving these players in their game, unless their company is heavily insured for failure.

I guess I'm an 'achiever' :huh:, partially.. explorer when it comes to learning things(there's some exploration there.. but..it's not linked to world exploration and traveling..):o Am I a monster.. or something isn't explained well with the 4 base groups:blink:

1 hour ago, Reylaark said:

Love how creatively these videos present the material.

Explorer probably fits me best.  I think that's why I like the cooking system as it is currently.  So many little variations to play with.  No rush, just putz around some and find interesting combinations.  There are cooking containers I haven't even touched yet.  Looking forward to it, just sooo much to do at any given moment.

Also why I love the architecture system in Wurm.  Lots of potential variation.  Lots of possible combinations.

To me, that's really fundamental to my love of Wurm in general.  Variation, possibilities, dream it up and try to build it.  Log in and try to live it.

I suppose the achievers might be put off by cooking?  Overly complicated and doesn't allow them to chase a single-minded, linear achievement as easily.

For me, achievement is ancillary.  I do like getting titles, but only as a means to an end that can enhance my exploration.  Just got Drover recently, but only chased 50 to play with 5-speeds (of all types).  The title is just fun from a roleplay/socialization standpoint.

Socialization... on a local scale, definitely.  I love having random unknown players travel by.  Even better when they need something, or I can help them find something locally.  The more distant over-arching chat channels tend to leave me a bit wanting.  I find the local channel, as desolate as it can often be, more immersive.  It's always a joyous occasion to meet the fellow traveler.  And when desolate, the silence doesn't really hurt.  I'm pretty busy anyway.

Killers... this is where I tend to break from the videos.  I feel like they're really stretching to find a justification for their existence.

Take Planetside 2 as an example.  Yes, a lot of killing, naturally.  But it seems to me the killers he describes are the truly annoying, poorly adjusted players that joined the opposite team just to destroy ships in safe spawn zones.  They hampered and destroyed every other player-type's ability to enjoy the game.

The killers, as the video describes them, aren't actually fond of killing achievers as achievers provide a challenge.  Schadenfreude is certainly not about the challenge.

These players served no positive value on the game whatsoever, nor on any other game I've ever encountered them.  A developer is never well-served leaving these players in their game, unless their company is heavily insured for failure.

Spoken like a true PVEr. :P

55 minutes ago, Matholameu said:

Spoken like a true PVEr. :P

And purveyor of honorable PVP ;)  Though admittedly, I'm not tempted by the pvp in Wurm.

The killers described in the video thrive off of other people's misery.  I think there can be plenty of player vs. player without that attitude.  Do you not agree?

3 minutes ago, Reylaark said:

And purveyor of honorable PVP ;)  Though admittedly, I'm not tempted by the pvp in Wurm.

The killers described in the video thrive off of other people's misery.  I think there can be plenty of player vs. player without that attitude.  Do you not agree?

Oh, true. I certainly do. Didn't watch the vids tbh. :P

• Like 1