Sign in to follow this  
Yldrania

Animal Transport Boxes Or Hitch Animals To Ships

Maybe large transport boxes could look like this: 

full?d=1343565842

• Like 3

+1 Maybe make one of the ships able to LOAD animals. One of the bigger ships like Caraval or Cog where it could transport animals. 

In Hawaii, Frigates would arrive to load and unload cattle. They would swim the cattle out on horse and load them on. (back before they made a harbor)

It would create a 2ndary use for these ships that are pretty much not used too often.

Edited by Bramson

Freedom isn't free until the animal liberation travel tax has been lifted :) (butchering)

WU solution: Activate rope, click horse, option opens to convert it to a writ and goes in inventory. I think they weigh 150.00 though, so weight should be reduced to almost nothing. Get to your destination, activate rope, click writ, *poof* your horse appears by your side. Too simple for WO of course since it requires no work and only necessitates having a rope. Not sure if it works for other animals as have not tried it but don't see why not.

=Ayes=

• Like 1

Make animals happy again!

enhanced-buzz-18373-1330456869-3.jpg

Edited by Yldrania
  • Like 1

I suggest you throw your weight behind the cause of allowing animals to be brought across server borders via boats. The devs are obviously very busy, so they're most likely to prioritise things that a lot of people want. Animals crossing server borders in would fix your problem too, and that's a more popular change that people want. I think you'd have your best chances at getting your problem solved via this avenue :)

• Like 1

Just now, Attenia said:

I suggest you throw your weight behind the cause of allowing animals to be brought across server borders via boats. The devs are obviously very busy, so they're most likely to prioritise things that a lot of people want. Animals crossing server borders in would fix your problem too, and that's a more popular change that people want. I think you'd have your best chances at getting your problem solved via this avenue :)

I'm not looking to change server mechanics by making animals cross servers. It's a different thing than my suggestion - I merely look for a way to get animals transported safely and securely across any sort of distance and landscape, not to trade with them cross-server. 

• Like 1

+1 I think this idea is great, I also think transporting animal across servers is great too - I think both issues can be resolved with an animal transport box that can be loaded on ships that currently not used like caraval and cog :)

Jimbean reporting in on the idea. :)

So, animal crates just have to happen. Period.

How? Well, that is why I am replying to the post here. I have few ideas about how and the other how, and the one that comes after first two hows.

Alright, lets get started, shall we?

Animal transportation should be made user friendly in terms of interaction, but it should also keep the ''Wurm'' feeling to it. So, shortcuts are out of the game. Also some quick variants of loading and unloading. Animal Crates should require quite high Fine Carpentry to make them, and Mind Logic and Body Strenght to operate them. Also Animal Husbandry should play a role in all of this too. How? Well, animals usually don't like to be ''transported'', therefore there should be risk of animal catching a ''sea dissease'' or even die during the voyage. Food and Water should be made a requirement for animals to even make the voyage alive. A container for food/water, and once depleted, animals would get sick, and die of sickness. Those sick, would infect the healthy ones and so on. Pregnant animals should have a very high risk of miscariage, or death. Old animals would be more perceptive for sickness and death. Foals would be the right age, so I think.

Hay stacks for food, perhaps some other type, I don't know - others should have a say on it too :) .

How to load it? Crate on flat tile, animal lead by rope, right click - cage/load the animal. Hop on ship, load the crate. Perhaps even make a ship type only for animal transportation...don't know, maybe something of size between Corbita and the Small sailing ship? Well anyhow, I continue to the how to transport it part of it. I think animals are too fragile to be handled by single person. So, to be able to succesfully transport them, there should be a requirement for at least 2 (two) toons per transporting ship. One that steers the boat, and the other that is ''taking care'' of the animals while ship is sailing. The #2 toon is of course a passive addition to the whole transportation thing.

As I wrote this, I have grown fond of the idea of ''animal transportation ship''. Caravels could be used for that, yeah, but... I would be thrilled to see a ship dedicated to animal transportation. With already made containers for food/water, and slots for crates of animals. Something in style of Carrack? maybe something smaller than that, but still.

Well, as my 30min dedicated to this post are running out, I shall conclude the writings of a madman in hope, that someone will see this, and move the idea closer to realization.

Thank you!

Jimbean of the Paradise Harbour

• Like 6

Jimbean for animal protector role :)

+1 for an awesome read, and just a well stated suggestion in this crazy world

On 3/16/2017 at 1:41 PM, Jimbean said:

Animal transportation should be made user friendly in terms of interaction, but it should also keep the ''Wurm'' feeling to it. So, shortcuts are out of the game. Also some quick variants of loading and unloading. Animal Crates should require quite high Fine Carpentry to make them, and Mind Logic and Body Strenght to operate them. Also Animal Husbandry should play a role in all of this too. How? Well, animals usually don't like to be ''transported'', therefore there should be risk of animal catching a ''sea dissease'' or even die during the voyage. Food and Water should be made a requirement for animals to even make the voyage alive.

A Bee-Hive for cows. I like it. 

Good ideas from Jimbean! Let's just make it so that crates can take animals across servers as well as between islands and we'll have a perfect solution.

4 minutes ago, Attenia said:

Good ideas from Jimbean! Let's just make it so that crates can take animals across servers as well as between islands and we'll have a perfect solution.

I'd like to ask you to please avoid making this idea about server crossing and to keep that to separate threads meant for that. This idea is solely for a safe version to transport animals, server crossing is not part of my suggestion. Of course it would be fairly neat in some ways to have it, but I would like to ask you to keep that seperate from the animal transport. I do not want the suggestions linked because I believe that there hopefully will be animal transport boxes some time, but I do not believe that animals crossing servers will be in the focus of any of the development any time soon. 

Bottom line: Let's keep this idea a possibility for the future by refraining from combining it with server crossing. Thank you! :)  

• Like 3

+ 1 Would provide a lot of benefits to trading with animals. 

Just enabling animal transport/shipping would be a nice first step before enabling cross-server shipping. I'm sure there may be code/networking issues, and not to mention some community hostility towards such shipping impacting server population caps.

So just enabling animals to be loaded unto a ship in some manner would be a nice baby step. Not to mention a good phase in the development cycle for working the kinks out for that implementation.

• Like 1