Sign in to follow this  
Finndar

Wrapping my head around QL

Hiya!

I'm in my third week of playing. Really enjoying the complexity of the game, appreciating the nuances the creators put in, and love the community (esp. on Independence). One of the game mechanics I'm trying to wrap my head around is the effect of QL on interactive items like Forges, Stoves, Trash Heaps, etc.  So some questions to illustrate my confusion:

1) Do the items placed inside a 1 QL trash heap decay slower than the items placed inside a 90 QL trash heap?

2) Do the food and cooking implements placed inside a 1 QL stove heat up more slowly than the same food and cooking implements placed inside a 90 QL stove?

2a) Does the QL of the kindling used to fuel the stove affect the speed at which the stove's items heat up? Or does the QL of the kindling affect the longevity of the fire? Or ... ?

Or am I completely off here, and the only effect QL has on a stove or a trash heap is the decay rate of the item itself?

Thanks for taking the time to help me.

Best regards,
Finndar

1. I'm pretty sure all trashheaps function equally well. An item will disappear after being placed in them for an hour.

The difference in quality will just affect its decay.

2. Yes, the quality of the stove will affect how quickly things heat up in it and also how long a given amount of fuel will last in it. A QL 1 stove will heat up very slowly and run out of fuel quickly. A QL 100 stove will heat things up quickly and stay lit much longer!

2a. Kindling QL shouldn't affect the rate stuff heats up nor does the QL of the fuel (like woodscraps).

• Like 1

QL of kindling only affects campfires, as it is capped at the kindling ql (and affected by firemaking skill)

for lighting other things, it's the ql of the thing you're lighting that determines it.

• Like 1

QL of kindling only affects campfires, as it is capped at the kindling ql (and affected by firemaking skill)

for lighting other things, it's the ql of the thing you're lighting that determines it.