Sign in to follow this  
Benie

Hunting with a 2H (from a 1H/Large iron shield), possible for me?

Alright, so I hope to one day be involved in these fighting-related events (killing uniques and attending the Rift), but my FS is 35 right now. I plan to work on this with a bit of hunting. Currently I have a set of 70QL studded and 50QL plate.

The thing is, I'm currently using a 1H Longsword and a Large iron shield for hunting, and use Autofight and am on Normal fighting (which I assume is a balance between aggressive and defensive). I like this combat stance, and I'm able to kill wolves, spiders, bears (up to Aged), scorpions (up to Mature) and hellhounds (up to Mature) with no real issues.

Here are my current stats ingame;

Fight Skill: 35 (doesn't show up in skills for some reason)

Fighting: 29.40

Normal Fighting: 26.11

Longsword: 24.94

Large metal shield: 9.34

I want to be able to start using a 2H weapon (like an axe that I've seen a lot of people use nowadays). Is it possible, or should I just wait until I'm at least 60 FS and then move over to a 2H? Again, I want to be able to take on (say dragons) if the need arises.

Lastly, I'd rather be a fighter than someone who sits infront of a forge for hours, grinding BS or whatever. With hunting, I'm out in the world and getting immersed in it. Isn't that the point of MMOs?

as long as you have life transfer are your weapon you should be good with most hunting  (heals you when you hit)

start small and work your way up to what you feel comfortable with

Edited by TradingAlt

Honestly, Just use the weapon you want to use. Your fightskill is decent enough to take on most enemies without any major issues, I agree with the Lifetransfer on your weapon. That'll save you alot of heartache on heals.

I run with a Halberd, and before that I ran a spear. So just use whatever is best for you man, play the game your way.

I began using a huge axe when I had FS-10. I enjoyed it alot and I also use only studded leather for normal hunting. I've been killing trolls since 40fs, in fact sometimes hell hounds give me more problems.

But you do not need any set FS to wield a 2h they are just another type of weapon, the only issue with 2h is that they are very slow and switching to aggressive fighting stance speeds it up by 1s, they attack every 5 or 6 seconds, they hit hard though as long as the QL is decently high. Also the enchants of your weapons play a huge role, for any weapon in training you want to have Circle of Cunning, Mind Steal, Nimbleness, and Life Steal, in fact Life Steal is more important than any of those, because being able to heal in battle will allow you to fight a lot longer and a lot tougher enemies, getting to 70fs takes like a day or 2 with enough dedication.

Remember you don't need to kill actual red enemies to grind, you can kill cows and sheep and horses and bisons and they yield almost exactly as much as an actual mob if not more.

a little more info about my character : Legios Skills

[20:45:40] You entered through the portal to Wurm on day of Awakening, week 2 of the starfall of the Digging, 1062. That's 53 days, 1 hour and 29 minutes ago.

[20:45:40] You have played 31 days, 15 hours and 35 minutes.

PS: I've also began using a 1h Medium axe, called "Axe" in game, and a large rare wooden shield, and I am enjoying them a lot for normal hunting, also still using studded leather, and plate for rift, (I began doing rift when I had only 59fs)

Edited by Legios

On ‎1‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 3:19 PM, Benie said:

I want to be able to start using a 2H weapon (like an axe that I've seen a lot of people use nowadays). Is it possible, or should I just wait until I'm at least 60 FS and then move over to a 2H? Again, I want to be able to take on (say dragons) if the need arises.

The problem with using a Longsword  and Shield is that you need to train up the shield skill separately for it to start to raise and then have any effect, so for PvE most players will not use a shield. They might use some combination of 1hand weapons, although the offhand weapon will miss a lot more. On the very rapid WU skill gain servers though I much prefer a Longsword and Shield, since with about 100.00 in each skill you will block almost all hits from mobs. Put 90+ Life Transfer on it and at the end of Troll fight you will be completely healed, on those servers.

I found that the best alternative was to just use a 2hand weapon of one's choice. I prefer a 2hand sword with Life Transfer on it for the self healing effect when damaging mobs. For killing Dragons 2 handed weapons are necessary for the most damage and the preferred weapon seems to be the Huge Axe, although other 2hand weapons will also work. You will also get some blocking and parry ability from the 2handed weapons.

=Ayes=

Edited by Ayes
spelling gremlin

Thanks much for your kind remarks, though I'm surprised to not see "Noo don't use Autofight/Normal fight stance! It makes it too easy!" or something like that.

Both armor sets have AoSP, and my Longsword that I bought from FM(forgot how much).. let me go look up its stats real quick.

Ok, it's an 81QL standard longsword.

[21:14:01] It is enchanted with Animal's demise, and  has an aggressive aura towards animals.

[21:14:01] Nimbleness has been cast on it, so it increase the chance to hit. [61]

[21:14:01] Frostbrand has been cast on it, so it will cause frost wounds. [62]

[21:14:01] Circle of Cunning has been cast on it, so it will increase skill gained with it when used. [89]

I'll try to look into getting it enchanted with Life Steal if I can, as all of you agree (and I also agree as burning through cotton/healing covers is not fun).

But I do have to say this. Three weeks ago, there was a slaying of a dragon that I found near my deed. I was a part of the slaying, but I didn't get a hit as we were told that only 2H weapons would work. Which is why I've been asking if it's a good idea to switch to it.

Personally, I want to be able to attack fast (and painful)... especially with Hellhounds while wearing the Plate armor (as I was told once that plate is how you survive with them). Yet there was one instance that I swear one of them had a can opener and was able to do nearly a Bad on me.

Edited by Benie

-The system caused me to double-post for some reason. Please delete this mistake. Thanks-

Edited by Benie
Delete this please....

-Sigh... delete me too. I have no idea what's going on. Everytime I try to edit, it claims I'm unable to.-

Edited by Benie

2h weapons do way more damage but hit much slower. Huge axe is the best 2 handed weapon, 2h sword is alot less damage but you parry with it more. 2h mauls are pretty bad.

Ideally you'll want high skill in both defensive and aggressive. Train up your aggressive skill while you raise huge axe or whichever 2 handed weapon you choose. Train defensive when you're hunting with a 1h and shield. It's better to raise them all around the same time, maybe set goals in each skill and then switch once you reach that goal and keep doing that as you skill higher in 2h skill + aggressive skill and 1h skill + shield skill + defensive.

When you're at a dragon slaying you'll want to be in aggressive with your 2 handed weapon, if it starts attacking you you'll want to be able to switch to 1h and shield in defensive. Afaik, you get a bonus when moving in combat while in defensive so backing away is easier. Also when using a shield never turn your back to whatever is attacking you, keep them infront of you or you wont block hits.

First off, greatly apologize for the quad-posts in here. I hope a mod removes the duplicates.

@MadtGood advice. I think for now I'm just going to stick with a longsword/shield 'till I get at least 70FS, then do your suggestion of training Aggressive fighting with a Huge axe (with LT and CoC on it), though I also know I need to smack several trees to get the weapon skill up to 20 before I start practicing. That way (hopefully) I can finally help out with these unique-killing and Rift events.

Also, I have noticed with higher QL plate armor (and now fighting in Manual while spamming the Focus button until I actually start to focus), I'm now able to take out all ages of spiders and bears. Don't really see many Scorps around the NW side of the server, though. Hellhounds are still a pain(sometimes I got them easy and other times they give me a beating), and I feel Trolls/Crocs are still out of my league (for now).

Edited by Benie
I pray this doesn't double-post

It is completely viable, in fact besides training all weapons, I used a 2h sword almost exclusively for both pve and pvp engagements. Needing a 1 handed wep and a shield was rarely an issue unless in pvp occurrences, in which case a shield is necessary for blocking arrows and being focused down.

If you want to train a single 2h wep, I suggest Axe only because of uniques. If you are after a very viable 2h wep for everything, I still think the sword is great, good damage, parry rate, swing timers. It is still my favorite.

• Like 1