Sign in to follow this  
ClericGunem

Make cave wall level to house floors/story

This seems like a somewhat simple thing, but hard to say.  If i build a house next to a cave wall, then climb up to next story and mine out the wall it would be cool if the column treated the floor i am standing on as the new level rather than the ground, such that i could simply walk off the house floor onto the new cave floor.

This in a sense is as useful as underground bridges as it would be possible to have a tower serve as staircase to four different floor levels and it would also make it possible to have ramps in mines without bridges. 

An edge is already independent where a floor meets a cave wall (column), but floor to floor edges are dependent.  I was thinking perhaps there was a way for the edge where the house wall meets the cave floor to treat the house wall as a cave wall/column and be at least partially independent, but if not completely independent then maybe it is fixed to 33 layers or whatever level it is broken from, even if it is broken from ground floor.

And as a minor add that i throught of after this while trying to refine my title, can we all get the cave floor to level to the actually ground floor floor in the same manner (though if we can can raise floors with concrete next to house walls that would be awesome too)

Incompatible with the tile concept, I presume. Underground bridges, however, would be so sweet.

Edited by zigozag

4 minutes ago, zigozag said:

Incompatible with the tile concept, I presume. Underground bridges, however, would be so sweet.

well the cave tiles are not like overworld tiles as there is a ceiling in caves, and the cave tiles do not have edges (would be awesome to be able to make fences in mines as guardrails for slopes).  As there is a normal case where an edge is independent i cannot see how this would be impossible willing to bet significantly easier than bridges in caves in a shorterm

Isnt the ground even in caves 2d?

If what you suggest should be possible - wouldnt it have to be a cave in the cave?

Or did i misunderstand the whole thing? :P

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Nordlys said:

Isnt the ground even in caves 2d?

If what you suggest should be possible - wouldnt it have to be a cave in the cave?

Or did i misunderstand the whole thing? :P

(complex option) if the wall where the green arrows (in the first image) was a house wall then making that edge float on that wall as if it were cave wall/column would be the ultimate, but that may be too complicated.  

(simple option) What i am suggesting is mining from the house floor out and the house floor is treated like a reinforced floor that cannot be raise or lowered as if i were mining a wall from a reinforced floor

WdVlfMS.png

So for example imagine my character is standing on the first floor of a house (despite the artistry my char is currently standing on a flat reinforced mine floor :) and mining down to the left would produce something like the image below

BdHGesd.jpg

I think the current implementation relies on the cave floor being contiguous (i.e. all cave floors link together) - that would introduce a linked cave that had a non-contiguous floor, which I suspect is a problem.  You essentially need to add a floor where the cave wall is now, to get the slope, but then you have a gap between the edge of your house and the (now one tile away) landing tile.  Cave bridges actually sound like a simpler solution, given the current setup.

Not sure what you are trying to say Wonka.  If house was are treated as solid cave tiles and house floors are treated as cave floors that happen to be 0 || 2 || 33 || 64 || 95 || ... layers high then there is no concept of "non-contiguous floor".

Looking at the code it is some conditional checks (wall/house cannot be removed that is acting as solid cave tile among others) and some additional handling, some changes to the render logic and making sure the house wall is solid as opposed to a window or rendering another stone mesh in the window rather than the nothing "under" the tile.  one would still have to mine out from the house as oppose to raising the floor up 33 layers.  It is 2d no matter in this case, the cave floor can never be higher than the lowest house floor that is acting as cave tile...

It appears doable unless a **developer** says otherwise, as so long as the cave floor meets the house floor evenly there does not appear to be any issue with render or collisions, just matter of cave wall  and house wall being treated the same with the additional checks/conditions...i am sure i am missing a few things, but really does not seem nearly as painful as adding bridges to mines

Cave tiles aren't any different than surface tiles.   Neither can have infinite slope (ie direct transition from one elevation to another at a border).

Now *if* they made the house floor be the new cave floor (as originally suggested) such that when you mined sideways from a 2nd floor then sure you could walk right off but I suspect that would be a fundamental change to object types and would require a DB change (presumably) since it brings into quest what the heck happens when the house decays.   That adjacent tile would have one of it's edges drop a story or more depending on house height.

Edited by belthize