Sign in to follow this  
Darmalus

Rift Resources as a Reward

Problems to Address

1. The infrequency and effort of Rifts and extreme randomness of rewards is unsatisfying.

2. Rift resources are swarmed and consumed within a few minutes of the end of a rift.

Proposed Solution

Make rift resources a semi-predictable reward that scales linearly with participation. For every 5 participation points, a random rift resource (rift wood, stone or crystal) appears in a players inventory. The QL is random, but the rate of reward is constant and predictable. Resources appear one at a time as the rift happens to prevent inventory overflow when the rift is closed.

Desired Outcome

Players feel rewarded for participating in the rift every step of the way, and are encouraged to participate as much as they are able.

Rift resources are distributed among more players, with harvestable rift resources becoming an additional bonus for the quick and the skilled.

Trying to fit this in the format Retrograde mentioned a while back.

• Like 2

Would prevent (1) farming of resources, (2) stupid alts that sit in local of the rifts increasing the # of mobs spawned while not contributing at all to the fights and (3) a fair distribution of resources

So +1 (except the complete randomness of the ql of items, maybe higher participation also = better avg ql?)

Edited by Thorakkanath

+1

The other option would be to give out the resources based on the skills linked to it and just despawn the resources around it since like with uniques there will always be drama over it.

Edited by Rasu

Tying in the rift resources to the randomness we already see with rift rewards screw that.

I have no problem gathering a few of the resources I may want at the end of the rift. If you have no success in doing so, perhaps you need to work more on your resource gathering skills.

+1 from me, it would be nice to come back to wurm in march to see this kind of positive change implemented ^_^

would this be instead of the collectable resources at the end, or as well as?

• Like 1

I kinda like the idea of rift resources spawning in inventory as you go. Maybe ql can be random of the rewarded resources, then better ql the more points you get. That means 400 points would give you better ql and more resources than 40 points.

For me the spawns of gatherable resources can be removed with the above suggestion. If you get a resource every 5 point you sure will get enough resources. The more you contribute, the more you expect and with this; the more you get.

The drops og seryll, items etc you get afterwords should remain the same i think.

Would also somehow help the less experienced players. :)

+1.

Edited by Nordlys

+1 

This seems like it would solve alot of issues, alts sitting around and making more mobs spawn, the farming ect. Least from what I've read here or heard ingame from friends whom go still.

Rifts always need a bit of tweaking and adjusting though, not sure how the rewards at the end are doing now... Remember that being a bit of a hit or miss type deal ~6-7mo back...

Still +1

This thread had several ideas on the matter already in the comments.

Any change from the rift resource distribution would be nice. There are a lot of good ideas. Darmalus attempt at the issue is also a good thought.

To stop freeloaders just gathering resources, one big chunk of resource could be an idea.

Then simply give every player on the list a number (lets say 5 for the sake of the example) of times to gather from this chunk.

Players use specified tools to gather given resource, all from the same one chunk.

Example:

I am on the list and i know i want rift shards; instead of maybe finding a rock to harvest, i simply use my stone chisel on the chunk. And I know i only have 5 times i can gather, so i can easily switch to a carving knife to get one rift wood if im satisfied with with 4 shards.

In addition you get resources based on your performance, and the usual rng drops after.

Edited by Nordlys
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Retrograde said:

would this be instead of the collectable resources at the end, or as well as?

Original intent was "as well as", however there are strong arguments to replace collectables, primarily drama reduction and dis-incentivize players who don't participate and simply wait to immediately jump on resource nodes.

If collectables were replaced, they could make a return in other ways. Random spawns around the world or being available if we ever "counter attack" and invade Jackal.

Edit: Thinking about it some more, I'd change collectable resources like so.

1. Remove them from the Rift itself.

2. When the Rift closes, an event message "The sudden collapse of the rift sends a wave of energy across the land."

3. Over the next 24 hours, Rift nodes randomly spawn in wilderness areas (not in deeds/perimeters or near buildings or pavement) up to a number that scales with the size of the server.

This keeps the assets in use, adds a way to get resources outside the Rift event itself (which is nice for those with scheduling issues) and adds a potential reward for those who enjoy exploring.

Edited by Darmalus

-1, I can't believe im the only person who dislikes it... Fighting is one of the easiest (imo) skills to train and it's what offers the some of the most unique items. Digging can get bones, but other than that crafters hope for rares and priest cast spells. Moon metals, Jewelry with benefits, shoulder pads that can't even be crafted, specific potions, all from fighting. I like seeing that a wood cutting, mining, and prospecting being skills requires for unique items. I'm not saying this because I am able to gather the materials. The last 2 times I went to a rift, I was a fo priest and I couldn't collect the resources. I saw it as something to look forward to doing in the future.

2 hours ago, Darmalus said:

Edit: Thinking about it some more, I'd change collectable resources like so.

1. Remove them from the Rift itself.

2. When the Rift closes, an event message "The sudden collapse of the rift sends a wave of energy across the land."

3. Over the next 24 hours, Rift nodes randomly spawn in wilderness areas (not in deeds/perimeters or near buildings or pavement) up to a number that scales with the size of the server.

-1 I pay for premium time, and I live on xanadu. Even if theres more rift nodes because of the scale of it i would imagine it would still be hella annoying to get to every place. 

7 hours ago, Darmalus said:

Problems to Address

1. The infrequency and effort of Rifts and extreme randomness of rewards is unsatisfying.

2. Rift resources are swarmed and consumed within a few minutes of the end of a rift.

The resources however are consumed easily (I've seen them go quickly, just havent gotten to collect them myself). assuming nobody can pick what you mined, why not have it so the resources are infinite but timed. If its there for 2mins and the action takes 10 seconds then you can get a little less than 12 things. For a person more unskilled, if it takes 20 seconds then a little less than 6 things.Everybody would be able to collect as much as their skill and tools will let them. I wouldn't know what time would be fair, but thats what i would suggest if your concern is that some people just can't get their hands on what they wanted. (Btw im not suggesting the given time, 2 mins. I don't know exactly what time is good)

• Like 2

While the suggestion makes it more fair, you're overcomplicating stuff, as usual. Making rift resources collectible by anyone in any amount during limited period of time (3 minutes, 10 minutes, 1 hour whichever would not allow to get a bsb full off just one RIft) is the one fair and also the simpliest solution.

Edited by zigozag

-1 for stuff to just pop up in inventory, but I agree the distribution needs to be balanced somehow, either by limiting the amount based on participation with a cooldown or by adding a gather timeout (that is also higher based on participation?) as @Yiraia suggested.. that way you can get stone at one rift, crystals at another and have no fear that you are standing with 3 other people next to a resource and you won't be able to get anything from it.. Your skills are still tied to the resource gathering, so you will still fail getting any with low ql tools and skills..

With any of the two suggestions above the extra people in local that don't participate will only help the actual participants to get more points.. so they won't be able to gather any resources when the rift ends

Edited by faty

On 1/11/2017 at 1:29 PM, Darmalus said:

It's even worse than this makes it sound.

Not only are they swarmed immediately, but those who actually fought in the rift are at a disadvantage, as they're somewhat likely to be injured or unprepared, and thus can't harvest as much. Meanwhile, someone (or someone's alt (or someone's five alts)) can chill out until the dust has barely cleared, and go nuts on the plants, rocks, and crystals.

Edited by Ostentatio
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, Ostentatio said:

..but those who actually fought in the rift are at a disadvantage, as they're somewhat likely to be injured or unprepared..

This is worth a quote. ^

-1 because the mining/prospecting/woodcutting skill grinding from them are amazing

+1  for appearing in inventory based on points

+1  for both as well as and replace

right now, who gets the resources is more about who is more greedy and faster than about anything else

+1 because fairness is much MUCH more important than skill grinding or people with alts ready to collect

To integrate a bit what has been said - why not make the items that spawn

(1) AT THE END of the rift (so you aren't slowed down during fighting) with their QL and # dependent on

(2) rift participation and

(3) your mining/prospecting/woodcutting skills (high mining, low WC? you'll get more shards than wood, just like you would if you would stay there in front of a rift resource and mine/prospect/cut but fail)

On 14/01/2017 at 9:46 AM, Thorakkanath said:

+1 because fairness is much MUCH more important than skill grinding or people with alts ready to collect

To integrate a bit what has been said - why not make the items that spawn

(1) AT THE END of the rift (so you aren't slowed down during fighting) with their QL and # dependent on

(2) rift participation and

(3) your mining/prospecting/woodcutting skills (high mining, low WC? you'll get more shards than wood, just like you would if you would stay there in front of a rift resource and mine/prospect/cut but fail)

Going on your original suggestion, you could have them do the same thing as yellow potions do with premium time. They continue to increase in ql as you put more points on the board. Over the whole rift this would mean more lower ql ones than higher ql.

why don't we honestly just have those random rift material spawns to harvest around the map like we were originally told, that would solve a lot of issues probably as long as they don't require rifts to be closed to harvest

Why not have a counter on people that do the rift increase based on how much they do and once the rift closes you are required to have these points to harvest rift material. Each piece of rift material you harvest lowers your points until zero.

Stops alts dead and allows people to do the rift and if it closes when there not around the can still go harvest when they get the chance.

No point, well you cannot harvest anything!

1 hour ago, MrGARY said:

why don't we honestly just have those random rift material spawns to harvest around the map like we were originally told, that would solve a lot of issues probably as long as they don't require rifts to be closed to harvest

Too hard to find and not worth the effort, imo.

The best solution is already in this thread.

I don't get it. Where is a problem i fight at rift (mostly in top 5 of points) and just after the rift gather resources. Not using any other characters then my main char i still get around 40-50 rift materials from one rift. That is more than needed for one week.

My wife who isn't to good in using shortcuts/keybinds and such on her character gets 20-30 rift materials. But we both have high skills in gathering and high ql tool for it. Also u forget we will lose one of rift decors/lore when resource nods wont spawn. Also u say that u still need to heal after fight. But u forgot that burning harts also take some time so just heal before all hearts are burned and you're ready to gather.

If u wonder that ppl send too many alts or something maybe just limit nods that each person can take only 5 from one, and they de spawn 1h after rift.