Sign in to follow this  
OjosAzules

What a bad game!!!!

The game takes time. You need to do things to earn skills. And when you are able to finally build your first shack it's awesome. Chop trees. make plank after plank. Make your mallet. Make your small anvil then large. Make nails. Make your 1x1 shack. Make a lock. Secure from trolls and thieves. Success!!! Tents are to keep your gear safe, hitch an animal to and spawn at if you die. You need to be in locked fences or buildings to not be attacked by things. Many great guides. Many great people recruiting for villages. They help you learn and skill and even with gear and tools. Its not a game for instant gratification. Talk in freedom and global. Ask us questions in help... I'm usually hiding in help on Wikidvudu for all your questions. Xanadu is a large server. Hard for new people if you're on your own. Smaller ones like celebration are a bit easier. I have some deeds and am always willing to take in newbs in need. Good luck and I hope you find a game you love if you leave wurm. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Cista said:

I agree completely on this observation: that change took 10% of the immersion out of this game. It's interesting that a noob would mention it too.

Zakerak said:

" It is not correct. At this moment in Wurm Unlimited, server KangaWU, we can't walk throught trees. "

Now that's interesting. The official explanation for removing collision detection was that it was a choice between it and having bridges working correctly. So if everything is working correctly on your server they should please bring it back, might make me want to pay for Wurm again.

I belive it may have something to do with them WU servers working different maybe?

I've pondered it also and it is not only on KangaWU.

It was removed around the time of the release of bridges, as for the reason I'm not sure as I was not privy to the discussion at the time, when WU was released, i think at some point of an update it came back, and seems to be working well.

As for its return to WO, there are other plans in the works first that we are looking at before this could be done.

• Like 2

^^Was it just me, or was minecraft way more fast paced and difficult than Wurm? Tried to build a house, then it's dark, and some skeleton is murdering me. 

• Like 1

Tree collisions were removed around the time of bridges, and have been brought back on the test server with the full intention to bring them back to Wurm Online in the near future.

• Like 13

Ever since World of Warcraft Launched the Genre of mmo's has been dying to this console fast pace feel which is not what a mmo started out to really be. This is one of the main reasons why the mmo genre is dying right now.

40 minutes ago, Keenan said:

Tree collisions were removed around the time of bridges, and have been brought back on the test server with the full intention to bring them back to Wurm Online in the near future.

This is unfortunate. Since I play both WO and WU I find the tree collisions very bothersome on the WU servers (yes all servers have then unless you use a mod to eliminate them). They make picking sprouts or riding through the forests much more difficult and serve no beneficial purpose that I can find. I guess that's why some think they should be that way in WO, so not surprising really that a decision would be made to bring tree collisions back to WO.

=Ayes=

• Like 4

To be fair, it's kind of weird when you can just walk across a tree. As long as the hitbox is not bigger than the tree itself, it shouldn't be an issue. It would actually make the woodcutting profession  more valuable when you are in a need to chop down trees to make a road.

• Like 2

In general the collision system within WO is setup for player convenience. You can walk through many things that in the outside world you can not. Walk through things like forges, ovens, fireplaces, beds, bins, crates, ships, carts, wagons, horses and all other animals and mobs. Trees now soon too.

When tree collision is active certain forest types become *impassable* such as olives and chestnuts (I think that's the thick trunk one). Also trees off deed will regrow into their fixed random spot per that tile, meaning that even if you were to plant them center they have a great chance to regrow to their random tile location, in contrast to fixed center on deed tiles if planted that way. This means that with tree collision if you attempt to ride through off deed forests you will be bumping into them as you try to weave between their zigzag patterns.

In light of this having tree collisions removed fits into the game well as with other objects without collision. Really the only necessary collisions are for house walls, fencing types, mine doors and cave walls.  Always seems a bit strange to me when others attempt to justify tree collisions as being desirable when the vast majority of other "solid" objects don't have it. Heck, you can even walk through large carts and wagons and yet you can still ride on them. Riddle me that!

=Ayes=

Edited by Ayes
forgot
  • Like 1

Heck, you can even walk through large carts and wagons and yet you can still ride on them. Riddle me that!

You don't want to know that it might make you feel like you are at a doctors office getting a physical. Spoiler you have a bone sticking up your back side to hold you in place on them wagons/large cart.

Tree collision helps players when in battle. Arrows can't go threw trees and hit you when you flee from battle nor can mobs run threw them they have to obey the same game physic laws as you do. So tree collision is worth having.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Arkonick said:

Arrows can't go threw trees and hit you when you flee from battle

but they can..

having tree collision readded is a major loss of qol especially with the new thick chestnut/walnut/etc trees...  I'm pretty sure some areas will be legit unpassable

• Like 7

It would change the game drastically, that's for sure. Would force people to chop them down to get places. Both arguments are valid imo, so it all boils down to personal preference.

well its realy bad game after all... so many good games out :D  and you dont need to spend years to get somewhere and at end you found out that all your time was wasted becose of some ppl that are OP.

Tree collision is SO much worse to escape from creatures. They might be slowed a tiny bit getting around but so are you. It gives no real advantage. And forget about leading animals through the forest. So many stuck animals you can't get out of trees. Especially if its on a player owned area and you can't chop trees down to get you horses etc. Never fun when you go buy horses or lead animals and they become stuck in a tree with no lead on a deed. And yes there are plenty of deeds people cut through to get places faster. And hunting.... oh boy was that a pain. Even with collision, they can still hide inside the trees to jump out and attack. And if they fall after death into a tree, you can only get out by chopping down. Thick forests were always a nightmare before. No collision has been so nice and the best thing possible in my opinion.

• Like 3

Very few games are coded after what the players want. We have a dev team that listens to suggestions and does their best to please us. They are even active in the community. I don't know any other game quite like this.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, luvable said:

Tree collision is SO much worse to escape from creatures. They might be slowed a tiny bit getting around but so are you. It gives no real advantage. And forget about leading animals through the forest. So many stuck animals you can't get out of trees. Especially if its on a player owned area and you can't chop trees down to get you horses etc. Never fun when you go buy horses or lead animals and they become stuck in a tree with no lead on a deed. And yes there are plenty of deeds people cut through to get places faster. And hunting.... oh boy was that a pain. Even with collision, they can still hide inside the trees to jump out and attack. And if they fall after death into a tree, you can only get out by chopping down. Thick forests were always a nightmare before. No collision has been so nice and the best thing possible in my opinion.

So we should avoid collision on trees because its more convenient?

I'm all for bending the laws of nature to some degree, but walking through trees was a quick fix to correct other problems to the game, if those issues are resolved it should return.

• Like 1

On 1/9/2017 at 10:54 PM, OjosAzules said:

Pardon me as I didn't read the whole thread.

- There should be areas where new players can hunt and explore in what is for the most part safe. The idea that hardship and killing noobs over and over again with trolls, spiders, and hell hounds is a prime example of bad game design. An area that has nothing but large rats and wild cats would be an example.

- The idea that a game shouldn't explain how it works to its players and those players should stumble and "figure it out" regarding the most basic of mechanics is bad game design. This idea continues in how Wurm things it's okay that folks who have real life scientific experimentation and analysis skills are able to acquire significant advantages once they use those skills to figure out how the game work. This isn't acceptable, imo, for a game.

- no collision on trees may not feel realistic but it is an extremely convenient feature. I'd be okay with a change so by default the game has tree collision on but gives a player an option to disable it if a player choose to do so.

Lastly, if you want guidance and a safer experience playing Wurm Online, you'll likely need to find an active village to join.

• Like 1

edit, I was a few pages late on the collision issue and its already been covered

Edited by Brash_Endeavors

Personally I do understand them taking it out if it was causing an issue with bridges.  I wish that it didn't come to that though or that they were able to fix it after.  I do miss being able to rest on trees coming down a hillside instead of sliding to my death.  I miss having to walk around a tree instead of through them as we do with so many things.  I love how it is realism realism realism until it comes to something people do not like.  Just my 2 cents.

• Like 1

Please keep collision as it is.

As Gary said "Quality of Life" -- for all of the reasons everyone else has mentioned.

Silly me I had assumed the removal of tree collision was an intentional improvement to the game... finding out it is planned to come back is scary.

• Like 2

As long as WU gets to keep it's tree collision I'm good as Gold, WO can have clipping threw walls for all I care.

If it was up to me a lot of stuff would have collision. Collision is what makes a sandbox game a sand box, start leaving out stuff and the game becomes a shell full of holes and less of a sandbox and more of a cat litter box.