Sign in to follow this  
OjosAzules

What a bad game!!!!

I'm really new, I downloaded it on Sunday and expectet a good game like Minecraft or Rising World. But it's unbelievable heavy and everything took endless time. In Minecraft I need less than 10 minutes to build my first house. Or if Spiders came I can dig me into the earth and wait until they gone. It tooks only an hour to build the first better house - but it's so lonely there. And after a year it's really boring. So I expect something less boring with more options to build or to hunt and so on.

But this disapointed me very much. I like sandbox games, but, sorry if I say this, this is the badest game I ever saw. The graphic is bad - I can walk through trees, my tent does not protect me and I can walk through the walls of my tent. And everything tooks endless time. That's why I'm frustated about this game. 

Thank you for your opinion Sir.

If I dont like the car - I dont buy it. If I dont like the taste of cup of tea - I dont drink it. If I dont like the lady - I just move on.

Not all games are made for us and we all have our own taste for things. I wish you good luck finding the game You really like Sir. 

• Like 6

Fun fact, bears will kill you in real life in a tent. :) Just had to add that. 

• Like 1

Go back to minecraft, Wurm is definitely not the game for ppl who lack competence and patience to learn it.

Minecraft was designed my Markus "Notch" Pearsson(?) who originally developed this game with Rolf Jansson.

Tents are not a secure living condition, instead they are supposed to serve as a spawn point if placed within kingdom influence, which can be a confusing idea to a new player.

Bears will kill you, you try to have to avoid them until you actually toughen your character up a bit, I suggest starting with something simple to learn how some of the mechanics work, such as making a mallet.

If you want to learn about the specific recipes of items, there is a recipe book on the tool bar for both cooking and crafting materials.

A mallet for example, requires you to cut down the tree, and chop it up with your hatchet. Most things in wurm require base material, in this case a wooden mallet needs wood.

Secondly, you pick up a log, and use your carving knife on it, cutting a shaft from the log. Then use the knife on the shaft to make a mallet head. Finally make another shaft, use the mallet head on that shaft to make a mallet!

The game requires a bit of common sense in the real world, i.e. using a shovel to pack dirt, using a rake to farm crops, and using a mallet to construct buildings.

Another skill you may have to learn is leveling ground, http://www.wurmpedia.com/index.php/Flattening

Good luck! And I hope it works out for you!

And while Wurm Unlimited is a good source to start the game for little to no cost, I do recommend trying out Wurm Online which can be downloaded and played here. There are tons of support staff here, and quite a few players who would love to get you started.

• Like 2

OjosAzules Wurm Online and Wurm unlimited same game but WU has more personal control.

Wurm online one speed setting to earn skills unless you play epic server which has faster skill gain. Wurm Unlimited you can personally set your starting skills and characteristics if you want to as well as how fast you gain your skills per successful creation of something or how fast you gain Fight skill. WU the stand alone version which can also be used to run your own server or play on servers with others is the better deal buy once and then it's free. WO is a free to play only up to skills at level 20 if you want to go past that you have to sub monthly. 

Wurm in general unlimited or Online version has a unique animal system there is no noob yards and animals high and low are mixed all over the map to be more realistic. There for you have to start off killing rats, wild cats, cows, deers,and bulls  and avoid other things until you have the fight skill and higher ql gear and weapons to take on the bigger mobs.

When it comes to fighting I'm afraid people are leading you wrong. You don't spam the attack button. You have 2 settings auto fight and manual. When you choose auto you just stand there let the character swing but if you are in manual every attack has a swing timer if you spam in manual you will never get a attack off instead you get a riposte which most people think they actual swung at the mob cause the mob took damage. You have to let your swing timer for each attack to finish before hitting attack again other wise every time you actual do do damage it is from a riposte. spamming the attack buttons before there timers finish just reset the swing.

If you want insta build you better off with Wurm Unlimited cause like I said you can set your skills to max 100 as well as your characteristics from the start even give your self GM power to be able to build supper fast and land shape with a lot of other abilities like summon every item in the game with what ql and how many etc.... In Wurm Online you do not get to do these things. So if you want a minecraft feel of satisfaction you might want Wurm Unlimited where you have freedom you want ever find on the Wurm Online server.

Hope this information helps you. Wurm Online / Wurm Unlimited is the best sandbox I've ever seen just give it time and a chance with the right people and you will love it like everyone else who does. If you don't give it a chance you will be missing out on one of the best sandbox games out. Out of all the MMO's and sandbox games made and I do play all sandbox games even the ones I find to be flops Wurm is the one I love the most. I hope you stay and give it a chance weather it be Wurm Online or Wurm Unlimited. I personally played WO for over a bit of 5 years until WU was launched which now I run my own server Foreverlands.

• Like 1

Hi Ojos-

You will need to stick with it and get through these trials and tribulations in order to understand why Wurm is, in my opinion, one of the greatest games ever made. The frustration that you are feeling now is normal and due to years of games that are lacking any skill or depth of mechanics that you are required to learn or significant challenges that you must overcome in order to progress and succeed in the world. You will need to reprogram the gamer part of your brain in order to do this, and the rewards will be great.

We have all overcome newbie status in this world and have moved on to bigger and better things. Some of us could see past the pile of corpses to brighter pastures more easily than others, but trust me when I tell you that you are not alone and we have all gone through this learning [and dying] phase. We are still here for a reason, and if things didn't get better we most certainly would not be. Find your motivation in the glorious light at the end of the tunnel which is the promise that things will get so much better.

If you are struggling in a certain area, respawn somewhere else and give it a go there. Anything that you have accomplished near your tent is insignificant in the greater scheme of things, and while this may feel discouraging this fact along with the fact that you are facing real challenges and not being spoonfed content or achievements will later be what keeps you playing for years to come if you are able to persevere.

Use the wiki, it will become your best friend. Use guard towers to handle the deadlier enemies until you are able to face them. Use the water, many mobs can't follow you into it. Beware, bears will follow. Use this amazing community, we have all been through it and would love to help you out so you will stay and become a part of it.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, OjosAzules said:

I'm really new, I downloaded it on Sunday and expectet a good game like Minecraft or Rising World. But it's unbelievable heavy and everything took endless time. In Minecraft I need less than 10 minutes to build my first house. Or if Spiders came I can dig me into the earth and wait until they gone. It tooks only an hour to build the first better house - but it's so lonely there. And after a year it's really boring. So I expect something less boring with more options to build or to hunt and so on.

But this disapointed me very much. I like sandbox games, but, sorry if I say this, this is the badest game I ever saw. The graphic is bad - I can walk through trees, my tent does not protect me and I can walk through the walls of my tent. And everything tooks endless time. That's why I'm frustated about this game. 

Maybe it is not a bad game but you are a bad gamer. If you like sanbox games you have arrived, Wurm Online and Wurm Unlimited are the ultimate sandbox expirience far better than any other current game. You will not find more "sandbox" anywhere.

Edited by Sklo:D

If you're looking for a game where you can do everything on day 1, then Wurm probably isn't for you.  Being able to do the 'high level' stuff takes time and dedication.  Wurm is a very complex game, with a lot of depth, and the wiki is a really good place to start (particularly the new player guide).  You can try the online version for free, to get a feel for it, but if you've already done that and found it not to your liking, and you've already read the intros and been through the tutorials, then perhaps best to move on.  I will say, as a new player, it's best to avoid fighting anything - if you stay near the starter deed, you can always run to the guards for protection, but otherwise, leave the wildlife alone.

If you like the concept but find it a bit slow, there's always Wurm Unlimited - as above, this requires a purchase from Steam to start.  Once you've got it, you can either make your own game server (with whatever settings you like), or play on someone elses (and there are loads - see the server ad section).  In general, skill progression etc is set rather faster on private servers than on the main WO ones.  Of course, if your main complaint is that you just don't like the graphics, or walking through trees is such a major issue for you, then WU won't fix that - it's the same basic game, and updates do come later to Unlimited than Online.

Ultimately, you choose what to spend your time and money on.  If you're not having fun, and you're determined that you don't like Wurm, then perhaps you should go back to Mincraft - the fact that some of the same people were involved in both really doesn't mean the games have anything in common aside from broad genre.  Wurm is an amazing game, and it can be a huge amount of fun, but it's not for everyone.

• Like 2

On 10/01/2017 at 9:12 AM, OjosAzules said:

@Eject - yes I'm from Germany, but there is no german Island

The Windsors are German.  House of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha .
World War 1 was a family feud that cost the lives of millions. 
There is a German island, it's called the united kingdom.

I'm sorry you're having such a hard time with WO.
The reason i, prefer this over Minecraft is because i'm a very capable designer and i hate map wipes.
Also, the average age on WO is probably something like 40
on Minecraft it's 13, that's even lower than WoW. 

don't get me wrong, i know Minecraft is wonderful,  oh the ectsasy after a decade of void, that i went through when i found it.
this emotion ended up feeding the heartbreak that inevitably happens when you rely on a private server, it was a heavy fall.
Maybe you should try WU

Edited by Steveleeb

2 hours ago, Wonka said:

or walking through trees is such a major issue for you, then WU won't fix that

It is not correct. At this moment in Wurm Unlimited, server KangaWU, we can't walk throught trees.

I'm not sure, if it is result of MOD or it is based on current version of Wurm Unlimited.

But, it is rather funny playing at the same time WU and WO, on one client you can go throught trees and on other not :)

• Like 1

oh, fair enough - I guess there's a mod for that.  Actually, thinking about it, last time I was on the WO test server, trees were solid there too.  Still, my point remains, that if the stuff you're getting hung up on is being able to clip through bits of the landscape, Wurm probably isn't for you.

• Like 1

Wurm being "based on the Minecraft idea" is one oft he most ironic things I've heard in a long time.

I love wurm. I just find it is not as fun if I am playing alone. The things you can do in Wurm far exceed the possibilities of the 8 bit minecraft world. Minecraft is like playing Legos. It can be fun even if you are alone. 

"Graphics are bad"

Another guy born somewhere after 2000. So spoiled.

We all here played Meridian 59 (1996) and Prince of Persia (from 1989) when we're 9-13. There were no other games at that time.

I remember the days when Age of Empires 1 was considered to be "groundbreaking" for PC-games. Memories.

• Like 4

This person (possibly kid) wants instant gratification in his games. A problem plaguing all games if you ask me and its very sad to me. No one want to put in any effort in games. If people would spend half the time on wiki (wurmpedia is this case) as they do bitching on forums, they could get much further in these games. But alas, the WoW age hit and people now need held by the hand, or handed everything. RIP meaningful gaming.

You are entitled to your opinions and I respect that, however, do you really think it is useful to use these forums to criticise a game that many people (myself included) love and enjoy?

Wurm is not perfect as all the players know (and often say in these pages) however, the developers have put huge efforts into making it a dynamic, evolving game that is enjoyed by many people and should be given great credit for that.

I am sorry that you are not one of the people who can see the potential that Wurm has for creative players.

• Like 2

he's just confused between the difference of WO and WU... not a big deal and i think eject already helped him. 

I am impressed with many of your comments and your handling of this person who has not had a pleasant time with us.  I am one of the first to admit that Wurm Online is not for everyone, and fortunately for the rest of us, Wurm Online is one of the best in-depth challenges we could ever have hoped for.

/Enki (Head Game Master)

• Like 9

On 10/1/2017 at 7:54 AM, OjosAzules said:

I can walk through Trees - wtf? 

I agree completely on this observation: that change took 10% of the immersion out of this game. It's interesting that a noob would mention it too.

Zakerak said:

" It is not correct. At this moment in Wurm Unlimited, server KangaWU, we can't walk throught trees. "

Now that's interesting. The official explanation for removing collision detection was that it was a choice between it and having bridges working correctly. So if everything is working correctly on your server they should please bring it back, might make me want to pay for Wurm again.

Edited by Cista
  • Like 2

How did you get around the tutorial?

I thought the tutorial was to stop people like you.

• Like 3