Sign in to follow this  
ClericGunem

Please remove animals packing grass

I just reported the insane amount of packing as a bug as it cannot possibly be intended to be as painful as i have seen lately, but really...can we just get animal packing removed?  What purpose does it serve?  Animals will get diseased or starve on grass, i.e. they do not have to pack to die from being too crowded, so it is not a mechanic to prevent people from having too many animals per tile. 

Is there a purpose to packing?  If not can packing be removed in the name of QoL improvements?

• Like 1

Enchanted grass has a low packing percentage, also you could just plant crops.  There are options.

3 minutes ago, Tallios said:

Enchanted grass has a low packing percentage, also you could just plant crops.  There are options.

options to what exactly?  you do know that crops get packed too right?  And crops can pack faster than grass in my experience.  As for enchanted grass, i am well aware of enchanted grass and i have already enchanted half my deed, but i do not want to enchant ever grass tile on all my deeds just to avoid a useless, broken mechanic.  So your "options" amount to "ugly deed, ugly looking pens with X crop growing in each, extra work having to cultivate and replant, and/or hundreds of enchanted tiles" no thanks

The topic is **not** about options/alternatives i am asking for mechanic to be removed that servers no purpose other than to make things more annoying and certainly not looking for *more* annoying work or spending the next 1100 days enchanting every grass tile on every deed i have on off chance i want to part a horse/wagon/cart in a particular spot for more than 2 days

How many animals are you attempting to maintain?  to me it sounds like hundreds.

Edited by Tallios

its not about the number, it is the mechanic itself, as i have said.  i have had hundreds of animals and had less problem; the packing mechanic is just wrong and broken.  so please do not try to troubleshoot my problem, the topic is "remove the mechanic" not "what is cleric doing wrong" 

The bug report below is what prompted this suggestion.  i want to keep cows for milking, but i cannot relax for a few days due to packing

+1

One of the things that hurts retention in WO is that you *haaaaaave* to dedicate daily time to it, and the more you progress in the game the more that time has a way of growing.

Once again a point for WU, where you can flat out kill your server for extended absences and/or have mods like the one that doesn't let fully grown crops turn to weeds.

• Like 2

if your animals are hungry, they'll take out a grass/crop tile fairly frequently, once they're more well fed it'll be less of a problem. Fresh crops and short grass will always be at risk though.

If you're not using enchanted grass, I recommend against using small pens.

+1

I remember having 20 animals and they packed the enchanting grass... I thought it was unpackable by livestock and they proved me wrong.

I'm in agreement. I have a giant meadow with rather few animals as I have just returned to the game, but they still constantly pack the tiles.

4 hours ago, Mordraug said:

like the one that doesn't let fully grown crops turn to weeds.

This is what I would like to see in WO, as well as the *no packing tiles* that ClericGunem suggested and not only for grass tiles. In WU your crops act just like enchanted grass because once they reach the ripe stage they never turn to weeds. Sure, it reduced the need to enchant grass but more importantly it eliminates the need to harvest and replant crops if you are not interested in the harvests. This equates to not needing to log into the game every day or two just to harvest and replant crops. I would find that to be a great relief, as would my horses which depend upon them.

=Ayes=

• Like 1

On ‎1‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 6:10 AM, Yiraia said:

+1

I remember having 20 animals and they packed the enchanting grass... I thought it was unpackable by livestock and they proved me wrong.

Enchanted tiles use to be unpackable, but that was considered Op and tweaked.

Tiles packing is a desired feature from the dev's viewpoint, and it does help lighten server overhead.

Granted there can be an argument for tiles packing too much.

On 1/9/2017 at 6:10 AM, Yiraia said:

+1

I have 2 animals per enchanted grass tile, and I have yet in over 4 months to have any of over 20 tiles getting packed by this.  How many are you having on these tiles?

5 hours ago, Klaa said:

Enchanted tiles use to be unpackable, but that was considered Op and tweaked.

then they added even more restrictions on animals such as the deed ratio, making the whole enchanted tiles packing as useless as a completely unnecessary nerf.

At least, make enchanted grass permanent again.

+1

When I see the title of this thread I keep imagining a GM's hand reach down from the heavens, removing animals from the game whenever they start packing tiles :lol:

Also keeping 2 animals on every enchanted tile and in 1 year none of the tiles were packed.

• Like 1

i have lost 1 enchanted tile in 9 months and it was a champ brown bear in a 3x1 pen.

I have however seen animals get disease crowded on a single enchanted tile, which completely invalidates any claim that packing is the mechanic that keeps down overcrowding.  it takes a ***LOT*** longer for an animal to die of starvation than disease, i have seen "starving" animals hang on for a long time, but disease i have seen kill in a couple days.  I have put 20ish animals in multiple 3x3 pens to grind AH on priests and watched the mechanics at play, incidentally i rarely had packing in those pens and they were steppe,  Disease is far more effective at pop control than starving...

So what does that mean...disease is better and faster a population control.  Packing causes starving, starving can be mitigated by piles of food, grass is largely irrelevant if you have food, and animals still pack when piles of food are present, literally pack tiles with piles of food on them..  

Having extremely overcrowded pens with piles of food and no grooming results in death by disease.  

Having extremely overcrowded pens without food piles and no grooming results in death by disease.

Having extremely overcrowded pens with/without food where the ground is packed and no grooming results in death by disease.

Put a fat cow in 3x3 packed pen, i would not be surprised if the the cow survives long enough for the dirt to convert and grass to grow

I can have a completely packed pen with food piles and extremely overcrowded and cast humid drizzle once a day (as i did in the AH grinding deed) and leave piles of food so they do not starve, and the packing still does nothing but make the deed ugly.

Packing is it is far more effective at boring players with another pointless chore than controlling population.  So...what is the purpose of packing? Is there a valid, realistic reason to have fat, satiated animals randomly pack tiles on long grass,

Below are 3 screenshots of (the only) 10 animals on a large deed that i parked on long grass, each animal is on its own tile, they were fine for 1-2 days, then suddenly packed those tiles, is this really what was intended?  If i do not fix those tiles then those horses may starve in another month and that is not even certain as i have seen animal on packed tiles for very long periods of time, but they will never become diseased as they are, i have not moves that wagon in i think 2 weeks and the white one packed the tile after about 2 days, i think.   Pretty sure the white one will die of old age long before starving as is

the white one 

[21:23:31] Hunger value 15769, fat level 110, nutrition level 99.0, thirst level 0, dominated by none, loyalty level 0.0.

The golden one in front of it

[21:26:46] Hunger value 6281, fat level 125, nutrition level 98.993095, thirst level 0, dominated by none, loyalty level 0.0.

VuumA6U.jpg

UShokWg.jpg

jUigk9f.jpg

I implore you, devs, please remove this mechanic or make it more realistic to the situation.  a single fat animal should never pack a tile.  no animal should pack if pile of food is present imo.  Really not sure packing should even be a thing except in cases of real overcrowding and then it should be rare unless off deed or deed ratio is bad.  Please fix or maybe explain why we must have packing.

Edited by ClericGunem
  • Like 2

On 11.01.2017 at 9:47 AM, Wilczan said:

Also keeping 2 animals on every enchanted tile and in 1 year none of the tiles were packed.

On 10.01.2017 at 8:46 PM, Tallios said:

I have 2 animals per enchanted grass tile, and I have yet in over 4 months to have any of over 20 tiles getting packed by this.  How many are you having on these tiles?

You're very lucky, but it doesn't prove anything. Enchanted grass is getting packed and simply reverted even in presumably good conditions.

t

On 1/11/2017 at 9:41 PM, ClericGunem said:

[21:23:31] Hunger value 15769, fat level 110, nutrition level 99.0, thirst level 0, dominated by none, loyalty level 0.0.

11 days later

[20:15:43] Hunger value 23461, fat level 30, nutrition level 0.0, thirst level 0, dominated by none, loyalty level 0.0.

So for ~25 days this horse has been on a packed tile and only now getting to point where it *may* become starving.  I ask again, why is packing needed?  Is it so animals may starve to death after 2 months (that is sort of sick even for a game) or is it some unneeded mechanic that just adds *chores* to the game...chore that takes away from enjoying the actually game and provide ZERO benefit.

If this is in place to force everyone to level meditation as PoL or buy enchanted grass, then just say so

• Like 1

On 1/23/2017 at 2:29 AM, ClericGunem said:

11 days later

[20:15:43] Hunger value 23461, fat level 30, nutrition level 0.0, thirst level 0, dominated by none, loyalty level 0.0.

So for ~25 days this horse has been on a packed tile and only now getting to point where it *may* become starving.  I ask again, why is packing needed?  Is it so animals may starve to death after 2 months (that is sort of sick even for a game) or is it some unneeded mechanic that just adds *chores* to the game...chore that takes away from enjoying the actually game and provide ZERO benefit.

If this is in place to force everyone to level meditation as PoL or buy enchanted grass, then just say so

My best guess is that packing exists to give us things to do. As the game is now, I feel I can't/shouldn't get myself a lot of animals, put them in 1x2 pens without overcrowding, then go off the server or not login again for weeks or months. I feel I have to take care of them soon. Otherwise I would be worried that animals will die, and packing is the first thing that comes to my mind.

But you showed above that packing isn't the thing that will kill them. Most likely disease will, if it will at all. Well, packing will too, but in more than a month... Interesting. I don't think I knew that, in my mind the estimate was much lower.

OK, now let me ask the question the other way around: if packing is removed, can I put animals in 1x2 pens without overcrowding, on grass/steppe, and come back in 4 months to those pens, to find them live their life in peace? Did I create an "eternal" pen - where only animal age will kill them? Should disease be possible and likely on ungroomed animals alone in their pens?

• Like 1