Sign in to follow this  
Bellatormonk

New Player-Might Not Return

Game looked pretty interesting as I have played many MMOS and Sandboxes.  I logged in, spoke to some people and even joined an established community town.  Very nice folks who even game access to a house to setup in and learn the game.  I asked what should I do to kind dive and get started.  Was told to make a small cart as it would be a good learning crafting experience.  

Two hours later of gathering mats (except for nails which I was given), figuring out the crafting process and I finally make the cart...inside the house.  Cannot move the cart it seems from inside the house, pack it up or destroy.  This basically made me decide I don't want to invest the time in game like this if such simple tasks are going to take that much time and be wasted to such a simple error.

As a constructive suggestion I would advise such simplistic items not take so long to make and not be able to actually build them inside a structure.  Anyways glad the game is enjoyable to those who play, however that example alone shows what a massive time sink this would have been overall.

11 minutes ago, Bellatormonk said:

Game looked pretty interesting as I have played many MMOS and Sandboxes.  I logged in, spoke to some people and even joined an established community town.  Very nice folks who even game access to a house to setup in and learn the game.  I asked what should I do to kind dive and get started.  Was told to make a small cart as it would be a good learning crafting experience.  

Two hours later of gathering mats (except for nails which I was given), figuring out the crafting process and I finally make the cart...inside the house.  Cannot move the cart it seems from inside the house, pack it up or destroy.  This basically made me decide I don't want to invest the time in game like this if such simple tasks are going to take that much time and be wasted to such a simple error.

As a constructive suggestion I would advise such simplistic items not take so long to make and not be able to actually build them inside a structure.  Anyways glad the game is enjoyable to those who play, however that example alone shows what a massive time sink this would have been overall.

Simply take down the door of the house and turn it in to a double door.

all doors can be passed through, a double door and a single door act exactly the same now.

I'm not sure what's happened here, you can push or drag the cart, there is absolutely nothing that would stop that

• Like 1

If you really liked the game, dont let things like that keep you away from it. Wurm progressed a lot over the years on becoming more player friendly and still is progressing further. I played for only 2 years and still have seen many changes that made the game much better. If you run into a problem, just ask at ca help or your alliance mates and they will tell you how to solve your problem.

Edited by Simyaci

The beginning is rough.  It does get better though as your skills improve though!

On the brighter side, isn't it refreshing to find a game with a community willing to open their doors and take you in? :)

Have your newfound hosts taken you through how raising skills works?  The difference in using high vs. low ql tools, length of timer, improving vs. creation, etc.

Even after years, there are things I just don't have the skill to build.  Other things, I can build, but get a lot of fails in the process.  It can seem like a time-sink, depending on what you're looking for, but it can also be really rewarding.

Whenever I accomplish a long sought goal in Wurm, I feel like this guy:

Edited by Reylaark
forgot link!

If you could not drag the cart it is cause of the deed settings.

Your Mayor can fix that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bellatormonk said:

Cannot move the cart it seems from inside the house

wut?

did you try dragging it, its all simple game mechanics, only thing I can think of you turned ownership over to someone else after making it

1 minute ago, Cecci said:

Your Mayor can fix that.

pretty sure deed settings will not affect being able to drag your own cart, but lately it seems you can't pick up things you plant yourself on someone else's deed, beehives for instance

For the issue with the door, simply destroy the door and make it either an Arched Wall or Double Door. [Unless carts can go through single doors, and something funky is going down?]

Beginning is always tough in Wurm, eventually you'll be able to make a cart in a couple of minutes, granted you got the skill/tools for quick making and all that. Don't give up on Wurm because of one little mistake that was made, there is a bit of a learning curve to the game, but things will get better over time once you develop skills and learn what can/cannot be done.

This is the only "MMO" that I've continuously come back to, as every other MMO I only play for 2-3 months tops, where as Wurm I've been playing on/off since 2006/2007. The community is one of the most helpful/friendly, aside from a few sour apples but that is expected in any large community of people, and I thoroughly enjoy having the freedom to do just about whatever I want. Be it from Gardening to Toymaking to Slaying, I enjoy it all EXCEPT BOTANISING @Nadroj, just about everything else in Wurm is great.

Don't be put off by this, just take a breath, and delve right back into the World of Wurm.

Edited by Jotz

BOTANISING!!!! *shakes fist*

Edited by Nadroj
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Nadroj said:

BOTANISING!!!! *shakes fist*

Like look at this crazy fella, despite him being absolutely correct and on point, how could you want to give up on Wurm? @Bellatormonk, you'll be missing out!

I've been here 10 years and this is the worst best game that i love hating ever.

• Like 7

9 minutes ago, Nadroj said:

I've been here 10 years and this is the worst best game that i love hating ever.

I've been on/off for about the same, and you took the words right out of my mouth...

You see Bella? Everyone loves to hate this fantastic horrendous game.

3 hours ago, Retrograde said:

botanising is easy!

You sir. You are the worst.

6 hours ago, Cecci said:

Your Mayor can fix that.

this.
the problem sounds like perms.
at a guess, deed perms not building perms but that's logic talking and in no way represents a solution.

Wurm is a game where you need to be willing to be awful at everything, to fail, to die at the hands (wings?) of a pheasant and still move on. We rejoice at each other's successes because we know it is hard won. No one is good at this game, at least not for a long time. Building that first cart (usually it's advised to go bucket, barrel, then large cart) is a long project and really a test of whether or not you can hang.

Laugh it off, ask for help in CA or from your village/alliance mates, and get out there and fall into a mine shaft. Soon you'll be building the tower/castle/hovel of your dreams, with the materials you made and harvested. It's immensely satisfying.

(also #teambotanizingiswonderful)

14 hours ago, Retrograde said:

botanising is easy!

I have a paticular set of skills, I know who you are, and where to find you. Botanising isnt one of those skills however...

• Like 1

Dragging a small cart through a single door (no need for a double) is something I do every day in Wurm Online.

The issue must be a matter of the permissions settings, either on the house you were allowed to stay in or on the deed itself.  Please chat with the deed mayor, the player who helped you out by inviting you into the deed, and mention your problem and ask him to set it so you can drag the cart on the deed.

Some aspects of Wurm Online are not so intuitive, but please hang in there and give it a longer chance to see if you enjoy it more once you're a bit more used tto it.

Also, and this is something every new player should do:  Feel free to look up stuff on the Wurmpedia http://www.wurmpedia.com/index.php/Main_Page .

I still check things out on it regularly as a veteran player.

If you can't find the answer there, or it's a question with an urgent need for an answer (like how to drag your small cart out of the house), feel free to ask fellow players on the Freedom chat channel or the volunteers on CA Help.  No one knows all the little odds and ends of this game starting out, and it's a real feeling of accomplishment doing things like crafting your own first cart on your own.

Edited by Tristanc