Sign in to follow this  
koroth

Thief Alert

Posts like this should always remain in town square. Not only does the topic warn people by being on a place where you can easily see, but also give the people in question a chance to defend themselves if they are falsely accused by some hater or some super troll.

Also, if people want things that arent theirs, they can always join the pvp and rightfully claim those from the cold dead bodies of their enemies.

Edited by Simyaci
  • Like 5

10 hours ago, Angelklaine said:

Coming from a ruthless game such as EVE Online, you come to see things in a different light. In EVE, robbing, spying, scamming and wanton destruction is not only allowed, but encouraged by the developers. This has lead to a very intricate and interesting version of the metagame, where players engage in tactical espionage and infiltrate corps (guilds) in order to provide valuable Intel to their employers. Things like climbing up the ranks of a powerful organization to destroy them from within is a daily occurrence, and it gives the game a certain type of allure that has made it the feature in many gaming magazines, as onlookers watch decades old empires crumble.

That being said, Wurm is not such a game. Although it has the potential to become one, the payerbase is so small and spread out that reputation travels by word of mouth very quickly. The community shuns such acts and thus this people get alienated. Whereas on eve you can hide in the multitude of thousands of pilots, here everyone will know rather quickly, and your 'bad guy' act will make you an outcast and eventually force you out of the game.

This is very important because one could argue there is nothing wrong with playing the game how you want. The mechanics are there, and you can choose to exploit them. However, there are consequences, and you must be willing to abide by them.

In the end, there is nothing wrong with either agreeing or disagreeing with the actions this person took, or the message the OP conveyed to us. The community will judge as it always does and the thief, by his own actions, made the choice to become and outcast. Those who lost are now more guarded about permissions, and those who did the theft are about to find out how unforgiving this great community is.

RIP Princesspie and NooHope. 

That's the thing, it works only in full PvP environment. Someone steals from you and you have the option, how to retaliate. You can ask your alliance to wage war on the offenders alliance, you can put bounty on his head, you can jump hunt him down by himself, etc. But in non-PvP environment it simply doesn't work. Someone can take stuff right infront of your eyes, all you can do is wave to the guy. Whereas in EVE not even hisec isn't safe to be in. At least now we can take it to the public Wurm.

I have said it before, IF the devs want the community be policed by ourselves, they need to give us tools to do that, instead of joining the victim blaming party (yes, my experience is, that staff usually blames the victim as well). Until that happens, this is their job to keep law and order in the PvE part of the game.

• Like 2

It has a lot to do with what I imagine is the "Chaos" mentality. People who play on Chaos are used to this and they see threads as this one as the "tears of those too lazy to figure out the mechanics." In part they are right. We get robbed because we assume what permissions do, and don't bother to test it out before opening our doors to strangers.

What they don't understand is our community is based on trust, because of the nature of their gameplay, they learn to trust no one.

I say both are equally valid arguments.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Angelklaine said:

It has a lot to do with what I imagine is the "Chaos" mentality. People who play on Chaos are used to this and they see threads as this one as the "tears of those too lazy to figure out the mechanics." In part they are right. We get robbed because we assume what permissions do, and don't bother to test it out before opening our doors to strangers.

What they don't understand is our community is based on trust, because of the nature of their gameplay, they learn to trust no one.

I say both are equally valid arguments.

And that is the thing. There are servers for both kinds of approaches to the game. For people, who want to trust people and for people, who have that chaos mentality. But instead of guiding people to play on servers, which supports their gamestyle, that one (chaos) approach is being forced on both servers. If you want to be a thief, you have an option, but you also have to face the possible consequences, not the complete immunity of PvE servers.

• Like 2

Nothing wrong with warning others imho regardless of pve or pvp, granted a separate sub-forums would be a good idea.

Edited by Klaa

5 hours ago, Klaa said:

Nothing wrong with warning others imho regardless of pve or pvp, granted a separate sub-forums would be a good idea.

We dont really have alot of cases to warrant a subforum, there is the Name Shame Consolidated, post someone started that might be enough. Seeing as they happen, but rarely.

I was definitely grateful for the warning in the freedom chat, because I saw she was looking for work, and I was considering inviting her to help me out.  The notice was timely. I'm also grateful for the forum post, because stuff can get missed in chat, especially when we all get going.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, LadyCygnet said:

I was definitely grateful for the warning in the freedom chat, because I saw she was looking for work, and I was considering inviting her to help me out.  The notice was timely. I'm also grateful for the forum post, because stuff can get missed in chat, especially when we all get going.

This is EXACTLY why I chose to post everywhere, regardless of whether others wanted to hear it anymore or not. I wanted everyone to know what this person did, so hopefully no one else would fall for the scheme.

• Like 3

I appreciate the post... especially ince the title made it clear what it was... easy to ignore if you choose :)

• Like 1