koroth

Thief Alert

37 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Wanting to let the community know about another scoundrel in our midst...Princesspie and NooHope.

 

introduced as a former player that restarted after 5 years on another toon (never mentioned name).

 

added her to deed as citizen to assist with brick making.

 

within 2 days, she attempted to steal our boat (used as getaway vehicle),  .29kg of dragon scale, a Star emerald, numerous rares, glimmersteel, adamantium, and other valuable items.

 

I made the mistake of trusting this person for mutual assistance, and they robbed me.

 

I have recovered some of the items, but not everything. Please take notice of these people in your area, and do not trust them.

 

Last known location: Near Harvestgain On Deliverance server (boat was on course to Xanadu when located).

Edited by koroth
9 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can we please make a sub-forum for this trash?   If there was a town hall post for every something anyone ever stole, we'd be forced to communicate via a different form.

 

Sorry you got robbed, but.... you brought it on yourself buddy.

4 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree, we do need a separate place so people can post if they have been cheated this way. Technically no rules were broken, but its generally a bad person and others should be warned to take care if they ever show up again!

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure what you guys are on about, there was even an admission of failure on their part for trusting the persons with such permissions. Nothing wrong with a simple announcement to warn others about folks like this. Indeed it was failure of the owner to secure the items properly but that doesn't change the fact that the action was still done.

26 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would be ok with that. I know I made a mistake with my permissions, and I paid the price for it. I'm simply alerting others to their presence and to be careful before they are allowed on another deed.

20 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here we go again, blaming the victim.

 

I WANT to know when someone pulls a con game like this. I think it should be mandatory to report it.

 

What is your motivation, victim-blamers, when you try to silence information about someone who goes around trying to make people miserable in the game, and stealing?

8 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

 

3 hours ago, Wargasm said:

Can we please make a sub-forum for this trash?   If there was a town hall post for every something anyone ever stole, we'd be forced to communicate via a different form.

 

Sorry you got robbed, but.... you brought it on yourself buddy.

It's a sandbox game, these types of threads are impossible to avoid, unless systems are improved upon in the future.

 

Anyways I personally think there are still loopholes with permissions that people don't really understand, if I buy a magic chest they should be automatically locked, like carts and boats are now. If I build a chest it should be locked upon completion. This would help clear up cases like this. This deed sounds like anyone he added to the deed would have access to everything, for future reference keep valuables inside a locked house and make sure to set that house manually to players only not to everyone in village, it's a chore but worth it.

 

As for the player, KOS for days. Sadly it's probably an alt of someone, maybe a gamemaster can assist and recover the items.

Edited by Niki

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like the kos idea. We could have a Crime and Punishment subforum where people can discuss things like this and then have scoundrels set to kos. Offenders will never know where a deed will suddenly attack them. Sounds like an interesting use of the mechanic.

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Give those scoundrels a bit of Wurm justice when flocked by templars... Teach you for being a bad apple amongst the otherwise loving community that has been built over the years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Niki said:

 

This game likes to witch-hunt don't you know?

 

Hey Niki, usually I agree with your posts but this one is confusing me. How is it a witch hunt to let people know that someone pulled this kind of thing? Are we understanding "witch hunt" to be different things? I think that must be it.

 

I know I want to know when people pull this kind of thing. It helps me and everyone else be informed about persons who are likely to steal from them and try to hurt them. I honestly cannot understand why everyone doesn't feel the same way. The only reasons I can imagine are either sniveling, miserable, or co-criminal.

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Whats wrong with raiding dead deeds leave the freedomites alone.

 

 

Anything I can do to help, let me know.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Makarus said:

Whats wrong with raiding dead deeds leave the freedomites alone.

 

 

Anything I can do to help, let me know.

 

Not a fan of Villagers stealing from their own village on any server.  

 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, LorraineJ said:

 

Hey Niki, usually I agree with your posts but this one is confusing me. How is it a witch hunt to let people know that someone pulled this kind of thing? Are we understanding "witch hunt" to be different things? I think that must be it.

 

I know I want to know when people pull this kind of thing. It helps me and everyone else be informed about persons who are likely to steal from them and try to hurt them. I honestly cannot understand why everyone doesn't feel the same way. The only reasons I can imagine are either sniveling, miserable, or co-criminal.

Yeah probably not the best word choice on my part, I apologize and I've edited that part out as it was a poor choice for me. So what I mean by it is people want to be informed when bad things happen. I totally sympathize with the OP here, as this is a fairly common mistake, and trust me Lorriane, I totally blame it on lack of intuitive permissions not him.

 

He was trying to be nice to a person he thought was friendly, but as usual some people just want to take the get rich route in this game and steal from others, I wish more punishment would follow though, instead of people just saying sorry, but it's your fault! 

 

It's happen to me in the extreme, if we go back to the Niru incident. Since then, and maybe I am cynical but I don't really trust people anymore because several people would do harm if they could! Even villagers of mine have extremely low access because I fear the worst since what happened to me.

Edited by Niki
3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Niki said:

 

This game likes to witch-hunt don't you know? It's a sandbox game, these types of threads are impossible to avoid, unless systems are improved upon in the future.

Witches that hurt people give other witches a bad name.  I doubt any reputable witch would condone the actions of the thief!

 

The options to lock things down were vastly improved somewhat recently.  Much more granular than it was before.  I'm too much of a hermit to let someone move in with me, but I do have some seriously locked down village roles ready to go if, for some strange reason, someone really needs to crash a couple nights.

 

@koroth, kind of you to take someone in, even if it was to chain them in the basement with a stone chisel, some stale bread and old water :P  (pro-tip: Leave a hell hound down there with them, it seems to really motivate 'em!)

Easy to get comfortable and leave the door open with so many friendly and helpful people on Freedom.  Hope this doesn't sour your experience for too long, and hope you get some better quality people should you open up your home again in the future.

 

Maybe you can ask some of the mayors that have run noob friendly deeds for a long time for some tips on how to secure your place.  Maybe one of those mayors could do a quick guide, should they have time on their hands.  I'm sure people can benefit from their experience.

 

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Reylaark said:

Witches that hurt people give other witches a bad name.  I doubt any reputable witch would condone the actions of the thief!

I'm a Druid so what do I know eh.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would not have lasted in the game more than one day if I hadn't moved straight onto a deed with a helpful person. I know it's possible to tough it out, but when I play a video game, basically I'm trying to have some fun. The beginning survival curve in Wurm is more than I'm looking for in leisure time without other rewards. When people do something disgusting like this, it turns people off to helping others. I know I'm no longer willing to let people onto my deeds. Lots of others feel the same. It's one of many reasons to discourage this kind of behavior.

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you all for the kind words. 

 

this experience hasn't soured my desire to help others completely, but I know I will not add people to my deed in the future. I will lend assistance in the form of showing people around, teaching them aspects of the game, coming to the aid of a wounded toon... that sort of thing. I have definitely learned my lesson and will be more cautious in the future.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, LorraineJ said:

Here we go again, blaming the victim.

 

I WANT to know when someone pulls a con game like this. I think it should be mandatory to report it.

 

What is your motivation, victim-blamers, when you try to silence information about someone who goes around trying to make people miserable in the game, and stealing?

It's self preservation. If it's your fault, then it can never happen to them, because they are "too smart". I appreciate the heads up about it, Koroth. 

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

People who do not want to be alerted to a thief need not read a thread clearly marked Thief Alert.  Reading it and bumping it by posting on the thread, even to say "this is not something that is needed in forums", is kinda counter productive to burying said thread. 

 

I for one appreciate the Original Poster taking the time to let others know to be weary.  Recently, I almost invited someone to come view our deeds and were it not for a good friend telling me this person stole stuff from someone else recently, I could have been in the same situation.  I guess word of mouth is the best way to build (and lose) a reputation.

4 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Fairyshine said:

People who do not want to be alerted to a thief need not read a thread clearly marked Thief Alert.  Reading it and bumping it by posting on the thread, even to say "this is not something that is needed in forums", is kinda counter productive to burying said thread. 

 

I for one appreciate the Original Poster taking the time to let others know to be weary.  Recently, I almost invited someone to come view our deeds and were it not for a good friend telling me this person stole stuff from someone else recently, I could have been in the same situation.  I guess word of mouth is the best way to build (and lose) a reputation.

 

Especially in Wurm, just being a good person will spread amongst others... and of course the same will be said about the negative. I appreciate this post, as it helps me know whom the bad apples are amongst the Wurm bunches... But I don't do much recruiting anymore as I stopped having deeds for myself after a few poor encounters, now I just mooch from people to people! :]

4 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, NeeNee said:

It's self preservation. If it's your fault, then it can never happen to them, because they are "too smart".

 

But that's a false security. Because it could happen. So it's kind of like a mental security blanket?

 

I'm not asking to be a pest - I'm really trying to understand what motivates people to hush up criminal and antisocial acts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, LorraineJ said:

 

But that's a false security. Because it could happen. So it's kind of like a mental security blanket?

 

I'm not asking to be a pest - I'm really trying to understand what motivates people to hush up criminal and antisocial acts.

 

I'm guessing a false security that quells a real anxiety is preferable to no sense of security at all?  I suppose "never thought it could happen to us" lets people sleep at night.

Unfortunately, and maybe I'm just mean, but I think for a number of people making that kind of post in online forums, it's just a lack of compassion and empathy.  My own false security is to believe they are that way because of adolescence, and will eventually grow out of it ^_^

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

7 hours ago, Reylaark said:

 

I'm guessing a false security that quells a real anxiety is preferable to no sense of security at all?  I suppose "never thought it could happen to us" lets people sleep at night.

Unfortunately, and maybe I'm just mean, but I think for a number of people making that kind of post in online forums, it's just a lack of compassion and empathy.  My own false security is to believe they are that way because of adolescence, and will eventually grow out of it ^_^

 

Coming from a ruthless game such as EVE Online, you come to see things in a different light. In EVE, robbing, spying, scamming and wanton destruction is not only allowed, but encouraged by the developers. This has lead to a very intricate and interesting version of the metagame, where players engage in tactical espionage and infiltrate corps (guilds) in order to provide valuable Intel to their employers. Things like climbing up the ranks of a powerful organization to destroy them from within is a daily occurrence, and it gives the game a certain type of allure that has made it the feature in many gaming magazines, as onlookers watch decades old empires crumble.

 

That being said, Wurm is not such a game. Although it has the potential to become one, the payerbase is so small and spread out that reputation travels by word of mouth very quickly. The community shuns such acts and thus this people get alienated. Whereas on eve you can hide in the multitude of thousands of pilots, here everyone will know rather quickly, and your 'bad guy' act will make you an outcast and eventually force you out of the game.

 

This is very important because one could argue there is nothing wrong with playing the game how you want. The mechanics are there, and you can choose to exploit them. However, there are consequences, and you must be willing to abide by them.

 

In the end, there is nothing wrong with either agreeing or disagreeing with the actions this person took, or the message the OP conveyed to us. The community will judge as it always does and the thief, by his own actions, made the choice to become and outcast. Those who lost are now more guarded about permissions, and those who did the theft are about to find out how unforgiving this great community is.

 

RIP Princesspie and NooHope. 

 

 

Edited by Angelklaine
3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Angelklaine said:

 

... In EVE, robbing, spying, scamming and wanton destruction is not only allowed, but encouraged by the developers. ...

 

 

 

That's an important point. Supposedly this is a game where you don't behave that way if you're playing on Freedom. I think it would diminish a lot if authorities said to these offenders "We know what you did. It was within loopholes of the rules, but it's not something we want in this game. This is your warning." Also, I don't think in any of the servers it's acceptable to pretend to be friends with a host, and directly steal from them and run off for your own profit. I mean all's fair in love and war and all, but that's just skanky. It's not "spying for your team."

 

What really surprises me is when other players try to hush it up. That I cannot figure out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now