Sign in to follow this  
Ayes

Rifts Continue To Trash The Servers

Corsan, try attending a rift then rethink the elitist thinking. My friend's toon had less than 10 fighting skill and bounced out with moon metals, rare shoulder pad and another normal one. Not to mention was running around with just a  weapon and no armor. Afterwards they got rune materials and hundreds of meat for cooking. Its only elitists because you wont spend the time to attend.

• Like 3

On ‎1‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 5:32 PM, Retrograde said:

Given it's a slight edge of spikes less than 20 slope, what damage are we talking here?

grass tiles turning to dirt heals rather quickly, I'm unsure of what this "trashing" is, do you have screenshots of the sites?

I believe that I made the situation clear in my original post. These local areas on Deliverance that over the years I have terraformed flat and completely planted with various forests have at the end of Rift spawns been left almost completely without trees and the flat land is no longer flat. All is turned into dirt there, which is a dramatic change from their previous tended states. These lumps do not level themselves back flat. These 1 land roads do not remove the ditches in themselves. These trees do not grow back to the all tile forested areas that I have created them to be over the years.

I realize that a good number of players care nothing about this, either confining their efforts to their own deeds or caring nothing about the look of the areas they pass through. I have no objection to this and yet my objection has been outlined in my main post. Perhaps you should read it more carefully once again. I have said it all there as to what they contribute to the positive aspects of the game and my enjoyment associated with them. Very few players will take the time to re-level these roads and lumps in the land, much less to replant all the trees afterward. Grass "quickly" (whatever personal definition that has) re-growing over the dirt hardly returns these areas I have tended over the years to their previous state, nor do the trees grow into the same density for years or maybe even never.

This could all be avoided in the manner that I stated. Heck, even a "hunting server" could be created to trash instead. Yet please don't attempt, like a few others would, that to use the term "trashing" these areas has no bearing on the results. I have stated my viewpoint clearly and really that is the best that I could expect. Hopefully others that take the same approach to playing the game will not become as discouraged as myself with this unnecessary random Rift destruction pattern, as at this point I am not much motivated to keep repairing and reforesting these eyesores.

=Ayes=

I did two rifts over new year and they were great fun. It included pre cutting the rift sites and in one case cleaning up post rift.

Second rift I got some minor bits and peice and gave them all away as on their own they are no use.

Elitists... damn good fighters who are willing not only to Tank and take huge damage but I saw some pretty big players die and lose some hard points on their FS above 70. If they want to mine out crystal and rocks thats fine... they Earned that right.

Rifts are fun and the "damage" is easily fixed and indeed the post match reward is that you can grind forestry and gardnening and shape the landscape to whatever next use it will have.

Landing a rift in your back yard would be un pleasant Ayes as your area is so lovely now, but where the last rift was that i saw there it was top of a mountain above the SE Steppes...

For the win, I like the rift zone idea or that we step through the portal... the opportunity to have multi server rift evens (super rifts) are interesting...

I haven't been to a rift. I would like to see screenshots of this "destructive evil nature".

@Ayes I totally agree with you.. I am a caretaker of my neighborhood and if one of these rifts tornadoed thorugh my daily planting and picking and beautifying i'd be pissed.. and yes these are elitest events, my last toon had 70 fighting skill and I must have died 10 times the last time I went to a rift, so there gioes this no armour and a 10 fighting sakill bullsh!t.. you's go owned the first unbusy rift creature you'd fight would annylate you in half a second unless somebody else was taking al l its fdamage potential.. but who can argue Rolf wanst to cater to the old guard and the poel who have spent years plying this game not attract newish players and include them in community evenrts.. so be it.. hence I sold my last toon as I couldnt compete because my mining , woodcutting , blacksmithing,digging wasn't at a high level so hence my body strength and all that couldn back up my 70ish fighting sskill..but hey who am I just cause I caretake the roads you travel on and make my area of Xanafdu a nicer place to be. ewho am I to complin.. so at least make these Rifts non damaging and encourage other styles of play.. and whats this with the trees being cut for miles, I couldnt imagine you guys playing on the old servers where you'd get lost just because you entered a olive forest and think back then you couldnt pass through  trees either.. and if I remember correctly when we all agreed to RIfts there was a proposal like it was on the test server that players would be teleported to a rif tt where the server and its damage could then be just wshed awy like the ones and zeros it is and then a new area would be made for the next rift and we'd be teleported there...

sorry bout the wall of text, as you can see rifts don't bring together community they separate it.. hence our argument..

• Like 2

Do what we do on affliction - nothing. Our rift has been there months, the monsters starved to death and now we have a useful navigation beacon.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Shamgar said:

I haven't been to a rift. I would like to see screenshots of this "destructive evil nature".

I have not been to one but found a thread with screenshots:

Apparently they can destroy nearby deeds, buildings, bridges, highways as well as the general terrrain, to say nothing of trees and grass

According to retrograde's post at the end, they no longer are supposed to destroy bridges buildings etc but they (reportedly) still create a  "devastated alien moonscape' that persists long after the event.  

How many total rift events have taken place since these began?

Edited by Brash_Endeavors
  • Like 2

Psalamon, go to organized rift events and yes you can get people of any skill helping and enjoying themselves. If you set up right and make a safe pen you might get one or 2 deaths. Fighting at the gate keeps you  rather  safe.

I dont know, those who have  chosen to hate them wont change  there mind.

• Like 1

The last Rift I went to was... +/- 7 months ago... and it was a blast, but that might be because it was on Exodus in the giant desert... never really had anyone die because there were people whom were designated as "Healers", and you'd run to em, they'd patch you off, give you a pat on the bum, and back into the fray you'd go! 

I don't know if there have been any changes since then, but I think aslong as you get somewhat organized bunch of people, you'll have a lot more fun than if nothing was "planned", i.e. people designated as healers, where to get food ect.

Though that doesn't change anything for me, since I never really cared for them, atleast with the loot that was dropped even though I was placed amongst the top five... Although with the Runes and all that, I might have to try them again for the materials that are dropped... Love the Runes, gotta figure out what they all do, but that /may/ entice me to go back...

Only destruction I see on rifts is all the noob pens and buildings built for them, such an eye sore when abandoned afterword.

• Like 4

Players do more damage to servers than the rifts.  I've lost count of all the times I've thought I just happened upon an abandoned deed, only to notice all the buildings and gates have "rift" in their names, lingering long after the minor earth distortions have grown over and become unremarkable bumps in the terrain.  Xanadu is particularly bad for this--every rift I've gone to on that server has involved a shantytown that lingers for months.

If you want to talk about real eyesores blighting the landscape, howabout the omnipresent highways and all the paved desolation that litters the coasts?  Or all the forests that consume every single open grassland within a year of server launch?

Rifts knock over fewer trees than one player grinding to 70 woodcutting, and have the courtesy to not leave any pavement behind.  They're fine.

• Like 6

On that subject, could we get a way to keep grassland "grass"? After years of hearing how terrible "clear cutters" were and believing it, I finally clear cut a map tile~ where it wouldn't bother anyone. I liked how the open terrain looked. Within 2 months shrubs and trees littered the meadow. Apparently, any grass tile has a chance to "roll" a random sprout on it from what I've been told. Eventually all grass tiles will wind up with trees/shrubs on them. Can we get to make meadows, green spaces and the like without turning masses of tiles into lawn?

• Like 4

I am not a big fan of all the destruction either. Could just make it remove trees and stop there, Perhaps what we need Pingpong is a new type of grass (Meadow Grass?)that does not allow anything to grow on it other than flowers. Keep the same texture for it but just give it a different name and properties that way it still visually blends in with the rest of the grass. Able to gather seeds from it as we do mixed grass now.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Pingpong said:

On that subject, could we get a way to keep grassland "grass"? After years of hearing how terrible "clear cutters" were and believing it, I finally clear cut a map tile~ where it wouldn't bother anyone. I liked how the open terrain looked. Within 2 months shrubs and trees littered the meadow. Apparently, any grass tile has a chance to "roll" a random sprout on it from what I've been told. Eventually all grass tiles will wind up with trees/shrubs on them. Can we get to make meadows, green spaces and the like without turning masses of tiles into lawn?

Very off topic, but there is already a way to keep grasslands treeless...just make sure that there are no trees around that can spread onto the grasslands. those trees youre talking off arent popping out randomly

I agree with Noizhead and Jakerivers - players are the ones making the most damage. Some players are making houses - which is fine because you can demolish them with one click from the buildings menu (and yet still some people leave them behind). The little villages on xanadu were funny at first, because it was a little, self-sustainable community of people with simillar goal, but the amount of debris left after the rift was over is terryfying.  Also - 70-90ql 3x3 pens that stay there and decay for months. Recently on one of the rifts i found out that one of the pens that was made when first rifts spawned (!!) is still standing, and not even over  40dmg.

Edited by Vomusu

21 hours ago, Noizhead said:

Rifts knock over fewer trees than one player grinding to 70 woodcutting, and have the courtesy to not leave any pavement behind.

A Rift covers a 50x50 area which would equate to killing 2,500 trees either by the Rift itself or players chopping them down in preparation. Then the next week (approximated spawn) it is on to another seemingly random area (maybe the Dev's actually choose the Rift beam spot though?) that makes no real distinction between densely player planted and maintained forests and scraggly partially deforested areas. Unconcerned clear cutters for woodcutting skill do nowhere this amount of tree killing and even those that clear cut a fair amount per session over some period of time usually use some discrimination in leaving player planted and maintained forests alone, griefers aside (which leads one to associate this with a griefing mechanic).

This continual random deforesting, turning the landscapes into barren dirt, is more my pointed concern than some few under 20 slope pits and lumps added to the end result. There is no real comparison to what players have done over the years by clear cutting some smaller areas, wherein all tiles were not planted with trees anyway. Even then, there were players like myself who when grinding woodcutting skill off deed would replant all that they cut and even more in-between that were not there before they started. This exemplifies a different attitude than thinking that the random Rift pattern of tree killing is insignificant, although I understand that to them it is who have done nothing to plant these trees in the first place.

On ‎1‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 0:44 AM, Brash_Endeavors said:

I have not been to one but found a thread with screenshots:

Apparently they can destroy nearby deeds, buildings, bridges, highways as well as the general terrrain, to say nothing of trees and grass

According to retrograde's post at the end, they no longer are supposed to destroy bridges buildings etc but they (reportedly) still create a  "devastated alien moonscape' that persists long after the event.  

How many total rift events have taken place since these began?

I have no idea how many Rifts have taken place since they were introduced into the game but I am glad that you found this link that pointed out this tree killing and land devastation (barren dirt areas resulting) back in July shortly thereafter they were first started. In that respect nothing has changed, unfortunately. Just more words of dissent blowing like chafe across these barren landscapes, failing to take root in the minds of those who have created this situation. Another opportunity to retreat into less harsh times from those which in we presently live. Alas, tranquility becomes that much more elusive when the security of player improvements to the lands become unappreciated and under threat on a pattern of a continual basis.

=Ayes=

1 hour ago, Ayes said:

This continual random deforesting, turning the landscapes into barren dirt

Have you never noticed how fast dirt reverts to grass and tree's after a few days?

6 hours ago, JakeRivers said:

Have you never noticed how fast dirt reverts to grass and tree's after a few days?

yeah, it takes at least a couple of months for a 50x50 area and trees wont grow anywhere on dirt, only on grass. other than that: read Ayes OP again and you will find that its not solely about the grass, the trees that will EVENTUALLY grow back, but the overall devastation done once every 9 weeks days, not even mentioning the alteration of the terrain itself

Edited by Galadhel
  • Like 1

The point really being made here is that someone spent time beautifying an area and a random "act of god" undid that work.

I am actually quite sympathetic to this since I personally keep a forest dense and alive and I would hate to see a rift decimate it.

If the issue is the work required for restoration then why not take steps to make that restoration easier?

• Like 1

The screenshots in that other thread linked were prior to the massive toning down of the effect they have.

A rift removes some trees, grass, and adds a few random spikes around the edge, grass and trees grow back rather fast.

Se of tulum on xan is a old deed ruin. Spawn all rifts there, i will keep the inn stocked.

All.

Rifts.

Commerce+1

Really. Either place. Lets trade off... it could even be a tick on deed management which modifies the local areas rift allowance?

Something like an influence system...

3 hours ago, Etherdrifter said:

The point really being made here is that someone spent time beautifying an area and a random "act of god" undid that work.

I am actually quite sympathetic to this since I personally keep a forest dense and alive and I would hate to see a rift decimate it.

If the issue is the work required for restoration then why not take steps to make that restoration easier?

Finally someone who actually READ and understood the OP

• Like 2