Sign in to follow this  
Attenia

Animals crossing server borders

This has been going for years.

I've been +1 for years.

+1

So quite a few people have mentioned to me that one of the problems with allowing animals to cross server borders is that it'll cause problems because the devs would then have no way to regulate animal numbers on individual servers. What I don't get is why we can't just keep on going with the current system? As far as I understand, currently when there are too many animals on a server, either because too many spawn or because someone breeds a lot of them in a short time, spawns on that server are adjusted so that fewer animals spawn until the numbers are back down to what they should be. Right? Well, the exact same system could be used if animals could cross server borders. It effectively doesn't matter how a server ends up with too many animals, just that it does, and the same measures to fix it can be taken. So say a server has too many animals not because of breeding or wild spawning, but because someone brought a lot of them onto that server by boat. Do the same thing. Reduce spawns on that server until the animal numbers are what they should be. Problem solved. Is there a reason everyone discounts this when they say there's no way to regulate animals on servers if server border crossing happens? It seems by far the simplest solution to me...

+1 - If it's that hard of a thing to do, I guess we all need to start premming more toons so they have the funds. xP

• Like 1

^ constructive thinking. I like it. :)

• Like 1

Wow, less love for animal husbandry players... Why buy a 5s on two different islands when you can buy one and bring it EVERYWHERE. Honestly I would love to have this, but i would also love to be given 200 gold so i don't have to look at my upkeep.

^ personal opinion/greed affecting the overall health of a game suggestion. 

Makes complete RP sense to not transport animals by boat, but your priests and craft accounts can whip up anything if needed on the fly?

Tldr, me me me.  +1 bump 

44 minutes ago, Brew said:

^ personal opinion/greed affecting the overall health of a game suggestion. 

Makes complete RP sense to not transport animals by boat, but your priests and craft accounts can whip up anything if needed on the fly?

Tldr, me me me.  +1 bump 

Another person assuming i want to take over the market with 5s horses... When i first +1 this post i was imagining having a champion pet to travel around hunting (I had to leave behind my champion black bear in Xanadu ;-;), and completely forgot about getting horses. I was planning on finding deeds on other islands to "ally" with and promise to share horses whenever one visits the other. Or even find a guy who would let me rent horses for 10c. I may not like living with most people in wurm, but I LOVE interacting with them whenever possible. Don't be such a pessimist. Just because i don't agree with the majority doesn't mean i am "That guy" who wants to ruin everything. And everybody shares personal opinions in a suggestions forum...

I'm the pessimist when your post above says I want gold coins too then -1.

Sorry I'll go get more satirical, I mean more optimistic 

21 hours ago, Yiraia said:

Another person assuming i want to take over the market with 5s horses... When i first +1 this post i was imagining having a champion pet to travel around hunting (I had to leave behind my champion black bear in Xanadu ;-;), and completely forgot about getting horses. I was planning on finding deeds on other islands to "ally" with and promise to share horses whenever one visits the other. Or even find a guy who would let me rent horses for 10c. I may not like living with most people in wurm, but I LOVE interacting with them whenever possible. Don't be such a pessimist. Just because i don't agree with the majority doesn't mean i am "That guy" who wants to ruin everything. And everybody shares personal opinions in a suggestions forum...

Wait, Bernard still terrorises Aranea? Aww.

1 hour ago, Erevorn said:

Wait, Bernard still terrorises Aranea? Aww.

2 champion black bears, i forgot i had a breeding pair. they are either venerable or dead now :(.

18 hours ago, Brew said:

I'm the pessimist when your post above says I want gold coins too then -1.

Sorry I'll go get more satirical, I mean more optimistic 

Yes... you still are for assuming the worst out of me after i shared 1 opinion lol. Pessimist: a person who tends to see the worst aspect of things or believe that the worst will happen. My -1 came from me thinking about how there will be less things to do if we can carry animals everywhere. We can already bring our items, and our skills, but animals is what slows us down from transport in land. I can see this suggestion being implemented into the game at some point, but i simply think that this is "too generous." Who wouldnt want to bring their 5spd hell horse with 90ql gear and 90 woa from 1 island to another. Wurm should be easier/more enjoyable in some ways, but this is a pretty big boost for people who choose to hunt on other islands.

I'd like to see a detailed analysis of the implications of this change.

Most of what I've seen thus far is rosy-tinted glasses stuff.

• Like 1

On ‎2017‎-‎01‎-‎10 at 3:15 PM, Tich said:

Its something i may look at, but it would have to exclude uniques.

And i'd like to have a new boat type for transporting animals..

+1 To new boat types for transporting animals

+1 to a small bit of code that gets me closer to bringing nogumps to freedom

• Like 3

Seem like this would cause a huge change on Epic, if raiders could bring horses to enemy home servers. Not saying that's a bad or a good thing, but I haven't seen anyone really discuss the implications.

14 hours ago, Roccandil said:

Seem like this would cause a huge change on Epic, if raiders could bring horses to enemy home servers. Not saying that's a bad or a good thing, but I haven't seen anyone really discuss the implications.

it's already possible for them to steal horses, which happens quite often

also im guessing you'll need at min knarrs for these crates which for raiders pretty much is suicide

• Like 1