Sign in to follow this  
Attenia

Animals crossing server borders

+1 to this, even if it would be only one tamed horse per server crossing.

+1 for this, leaving one's animals behind is the biggest trouble with moving servers.

Something to bear in mind is the care for limit is done by server, so any animal crossing over would need to lose its cared for tag.

+1, This would help with countless things, from going to unique hunts(depending on speed of ship if ship is needed) to moving servers.

A possibility that may be easier than making special animal boats is to modify the 'recall home' meditation function. You tame a pet, right click and recall home (if you have that ability, obviously). It gives you the option to send the pet to your deed, or to send it to a deed on another server. If you choose a deed on another server, a message is sent to the mayor of that deed asking if they accept their deed as the home of your pet. If they say yes, the animal teleports there.

What does everyone think of modifying the recall home option? Would it be an easier alternative to making boats for animals to cross servers?

On 3/22/2017 at 2:56 AM, Attenia said:

A possibility that may be easier than making special animal boats is to modify the 'recall home' meditation function. You tame a pet, right click and recall home (if you have that ability, obviously). It gives you the option to send the pet to your deed, or to send it to a deed on another server. If you choose a deed on another server, a message is sent to the mayor of that deed asking if they accept their deed as the home of your pet. If they say yes, the animal teleports there.

My immersion breaks so many times with this idea..

Part of the whole thing with playing wurm is the realistic aspect and the pita to do just about almost everything or most things just taking so much time to get something simple into existence.. which is the whole point... you make a small derp shack and you literally LOVE it.. because it took you some time to achieve that.

Sending animals trough-servers with a /lv80 path ability/wizard tap is um.... weird.

Leading 1 animal.. what kind of animal tho? How often? This could open the market for champion animals(but wait.. most can't swim..).

Personally.. I'd bid on loading an animal on a boat... with bunch of nerfs.. so it's not abused.

I can't really think of the reasons devs have for animals not crossing the borders...(pray for chaos mobs to not invade on freedom :lol:), but yea... if players with all their random inventory moves around.. sometimes in the 2-3-400 numbers, are 400 horses that bad for the server's performance?

• Like 1

+1 I would absolutely be thrilled if this came to fruition. I need my aminals <3

I liked pretty much all of the ideas and suggestions made. +1 for this long needed feature. Make it happen, even if it was only 1 animal at a time.

How many +1s are required for something to be done about this? :P

+1 Must load horses for the raids :) Why wouldn't we take our best steeds into battle with us as we raid enemy servers? :( Leaving our 5 speed hellies behind and going to enemy server to find whatever we come across doesnt really sounds smart. 

Looking at the roadmap, it's clear this issue isn't going to be worked on in the next few months. I'd like to request that it be put on the next roadmap, which is from my understanding around 6 months from now? I realize that this is a difficult issue that'll take time to fix, but the sooner work is started on it, the sooner it will be resolved. Since there are already some issues with crossing server borders (players getting stuck, etc.), this is a good opportunity to upgrade the whole crossing server borders system, fix all the bugs and allow animals to be taken across.

+1

There has been a lot of creative changes recently. It will be fun to see what the Devs come up with to make this happen.

9 hours ago, Attenia said:

Looking at the roadmap, it's clear this issue isn't going to be worked on in the next few months. I'd like to request that it be put on the next roadmap, which is from my understanding around 6 months from now? I realize that this is a difficult issue that'll take time to fix, but the sooner work is started on it, the sooner it will be resolved. Since there are already some issues with crossing server borders (players getting stuck, etc.), this is a good opportunity to upgrade the whole crossing server borders system, fix all the bugs and allow animals to be taken across.

People have been asking for this since... forever.

Considering it hasn't been addressed in a decade, don't hold your breath for the next roadmap.

I think the issue and reason why this hasn't been done yet is the way the mobs are calculated. If you study the spawn system like I did you will see there would need to be a ton of code added to do many different checks to prevent unexplained deleting of player animals over crowding of specific mobs etc... there is a hard cap that is then calculated upon a max % on a total in DB then a calculation that checks amount of agg creatures. etc.. Allowing animals to cross server's would cause such a mess in the system you would find animals being deleted and vanishing not to mention a offset of mobs not spawning cause people brought to many of a specific mob to a server that already didn't have enough or to many of that type.

There are no checks to for example separate the db max cows from the ones breed by players the system calculates them on a whole and when the % is meet they no longer spawn but that doesn't stop players from breeding them over the cap and not sure if people would like a system added in that makes a animal never in the mood to breed if said cap is reached. There really has to be a limit to how many animals can be on a map but to balance that between hoarders and players making animal farms and new players coming to a map to play it is a tricky situation to balance and would require a complete re write of how the system handles it all. Should we speed up animal life cycles even faster? etc...

I can see this in the future but not till a re write of how the system works right now. Not impossible but they would have to work it in down the road not sure how much they have on the board or what has already been planned that still is in line to be put on the do list. Not to mention Budda is now the lead man so he might have different ideas and direction he wants in WO so at this time I wouldn't see it being a good route not for WO any ways.  As for WU there not massively connected to a ton of servers like WO is and there for be a lot easier to work in with out seeing these issue really creep up.

On 12/28/2016 at 4:39 PM, Nadroj said:

I highly doubt that a limited amount of animals being movable per boat could possibly affect the animal counts more than obsessive breeders do tbh.

Yes that is what alot of people are. Agressive animal breeders.  I for one would love it, but if you have people breeding oodles of horses, we will lose cows bison and maybe others. the Non aggro count is set.  this is why we had no chickns for a while.

2 hours ago, Lolabelle said:

Yes that is what alot of people are. Agressive animal breeders.  I for one would love it, but if you have people breeding oodles of horses, we will lose cows bison and maybe others. the Non aggro count is set.  this is why we had no chickns for a while.

Sadly.. the only or 'working' way to get good horses is trough repeatedly.. printing more and more horses into the world, which already takes a week or almost 2.. to see the result.. and repeat.. than.. newborns are ~useless as they are.. to make a bit more of them.. you have to keep them around for a while.. before the slaughter to get meat and parts, hides... Than.. horses start aging.. which is another problem.. solved by keeping that process going on and on...:huh:

Generally speaking, boats are larger than animals (see below). 

24l3s4w.jpg

This one is simple.  You build a crate, put the pooch in the crate, load the crate into your boat.

+1