Sign in to follow this  
Attenia

Animals crossing server borders

4 hours ago, Tich said:

Its something i may look at, but it would have to exclude uniques.

And i'd like to have a new boat type for transporting animals..

When you say uniques, are you thinking someone may want to transport a dragon or forest giant somewhere?

10 hours ago, Tich said:

Sounds perfect really, uniques are almost impossible to dominate as is but you make a good point they would have to be blocked from being allowed if someone did pull off dominating one. Wouldn't it be relatively easy to make this possible if you didn't try and make a whole new boat type for it though?

Edited by Nadroj

Didn't read, +1 for any kind of animal-server-crossing-ability.

Tich, agreed on the new boat specifically for animals.  I'd also suggest no uniques no matter the case, and allow at max one champion pet non unique to be the limit.

My suggestion would be to make it slower than corbitas, as it was designed for transport and not efficiency.  

Animal husbandry IMO should be the required Minimum to load certain sizes on boats as they used to have Sheppards back In the day for these reasons.  Or the other option is if you transport animals you need two people minimum.  One Captain and one animal handler.

Please let me bring Nogumps to freedom. We could have ever so much fun.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, armyskin said:

Please let me bring Nogumps to freedom. We could have ever so much fun.

How would you ever tame/lead one exactly?

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Tich said:

The primary use case for 99% of people would be to bring a horse while visiting another server, so please consider allowing a single animal for smaller boats.

Thorgot, if they allow the animal crossing, nothing would need to change there for horses.  Since, they can be lead while on rowboat.  Unless I'm missing something?

30 minutes ago, Brew said:

Thorgot, if they allow the animal crossing, nothing would need to change there for horses.  Since, they can be lead while on rowboat.  Unless I'm missing something?

I think the point was the ability to lead a horse across servers while on an existing boat type instead of having to build a whole new type of boat to load the horse. You can't lead a horse across servers while on a rowboat.

Well I could have stated my point better lol sorry.

If they allow the animal crossings at all.  The horse issue wouldn't need to be addressed via the new boat mechanics.  If the actual code allows for transfer of animals then anything you can lead now in water should work still just with the new ability to take it with you anywhere.

The boat would be for anything that cannot swim or be lead by rowboat.  This example allows for the old mechanics to work for new players but allow more crafting options for boat builders, and allow animal people to feel more valued in the ability to trade their prized non swimming pets elsewhere.

Am I missing anything now? ;)

I would prefer being able to load at least two horses in to a ship that can hold a wagon even if it means nothing else but a cart will fit, perhaps 4 animal "crates" that you unload, from the ship, unload the horse and hitch, then put the crate back in the ship, even if maybe the Caravel is only ship that can handle 4 horses and a wagon, and Knarr is wagon OR 4 horses horse, but not both.  maybe the others only handle 2 horses and a cart.  nothing wrong with severely limiting ship storage in favor of animals imo.

As for the limits with champs....why?  Champs are rare yes, but they are certainly nothing special.  I have found, ignored, breed, killed, and given away a lot of champs.  i just do not see anything so special about champs that they need to be treated as something super special.  Now i have a growing champ graveyard, just becuase.  As for bringing one from another server, who cares, anyone with skill to handle and breed champs can just as easily patiently hunt or ask in freedom if anyone has seen any, which probably cheaper anyway

Edited by ClericGunem

Tich, when you say unique animals, you mean things that have only one spawn on a server at a time, right, like dragons? Not animals with conditions such as champions? We could still bring champion pets across servers, right?

As Thorgot said i'd be happy with a special boat type as long as we were still allowed to bring at least one horse with us in smaller boats. The bulk of what people want this for is to be able to visit other servers and not have to hunt down or buy a new horse.

For transferring larger amounts or different types of animals i'm sure we could all learn to live with having to make a new type of ship. Just not with quick trips where we wanna take our horses.

• Like 3

I agree. Simple solutions are always best.

Also, I'd like to suggest we use the float-ability of rafts..  

(-Woot! Rafts are not just containers?

-No little padawan, they are actually a boat type :P)

We could load 4 animals on raft and lead the raft itself with a halter rope or thick rope (to utilize some more overlooked items) behind whatever ship we're sailing.

I wouldn't mind having a new type of ferry ofc, it would boost economy some more, Heck, a couple of new ship types are long overdue IMO.

I'd like to see an animal ferry and a small fishing barge. We go from small, almost useless boats, to large merchant ships without any in-betweens.

PS. No, I'm not a ship builder

Edit: On PvP servers, the animal raft should be able to be attacked

Edited by KalinMenajin
  • Like 2

+1

There is one thing to keep in mind, if you have a cared for animal and you move it to another server where your /caringfor list is already full, you might end up with a dead animal without noticing, and if you happen to do that with a rare horse or a rare champ (dog, deer) that will definitely cause drama...

Other than that, whether it's a sword or a bear, i'm assuming it's still unique ID's + parameters that should be relatively easy to be copied from one side to the other..

• Like 3

Transport options for animals that cant swim would also give Island habitants to be able to bring some life stock to their place without the need to build bridges..

Edited by Sirene
  • Like 1

The caring for option would have to be coded differently, either a warning that you will exceed your limit before crossing and if ignored it removes the cared for status.

Honestly it's probably simplest to avoid confusion to just have loading/unloading an animal remove caring status with an event message warning to remind people.

• Like 1

I like most of the proposed solutions to mitigate mass transfer concerns but I really don't see it as an issue.  So sure if necessary limit it to one horse or some special boat but really all that needs to happen is just allow transfers.

I seriously doubt somebody's going to transfer 1000 horses 4 horses at a time just so they can sell them on a server already saturated with 1000s of *identical* horses.   There's no other market that suffered from open transfers, the breeding market won't either.

Plus allowing a full 4 horse complement means you can sail over plop down a wagon and go.   

• Like 2

It could be set so that brands automatically delete upon moving servers. Owners could just rebrand when they get to the new server.

+1 I think animals crossing server should be tied into one of the bigger ships like caraval or cog only that could transport livestock by loading them. Would create another use for an item we already have.

On 19.02.2017 at 10:41 PM, Attenia said:

It could be set so that brands automatically delete upon moving servers. Owners could just rebrand when they get to the new server.

You can't "just rebrand" if you don't have a deed there, and if you do, then you likely don't need to bring a horse to that server. Branding is a necessary way to protect your horse, and unless brands persist through border crossing or there's some sort of 'personal branding' that is cross-server, using suggested feature to travel with your steed would be inconvenient.

• Like 1