Sign in to follow this  
Rasu

Please tone down the snow texture or make it optional

Every time winter comes around in game I find myself playing far less due to eye strain and its really starting to get annoying how ignored this issue has become.

4a4d90ff11.png

I would settle for an optional setting that just cut back to the amount of snow to something like this:

dsc_0366.jpg

• Like 11

+1, it's probably a top 10 complaint in WO, so easy to fix too with some rework, would improve winter alot. 

+1, One of my fav things to hear is "Relog winters over".

Edited by Darklords
  • Like 2

Simply turning off bloom in your client settings helps the wurm snow issue a LOT

I love the snow and threy have already made winter the shortest season, so i hate to see them cut it back any more.

Edited by Brash_Endeavors
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, Rasu said:

Every time winter comes around in game I find myself playing far less due to eye strain and its really starting to get annoying how ignored this issue has become.

Hate to sound like the help desk asking if your computer is plugged in, but your lantern is off right?  Stranger things have happened.

Short of that, I too enjoy the seasons and like having snow on the ground.  I wonder if it wouldn't be possible to re-texture winter tiles to make them a bit more, well, textured.  I think there's likely a way to address this without throwing out the baby with the bath water.

Another idea in the interim is to use moss or enchanted grass in places on deed that might only be decorative grass.  Used that in a WU deed a while back.  Looked kinda cool and gives a break from the snow while looking around.

+1. All the arguments have been said already for many years, only reason someone wouldn't understand them by now is that they don't want to and you can't argue with a wall.

I hope santa brought you new retinas, because you'll need them

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Aeris said:

+1. All the arguments have been said already for many years, only reason someone wouldn't understand them by now is that they don't want to and you can't argue with a wall.

I hope santa brought you new retinas, because you'll need them

Shame it would have to be an argument to begin with, but yes, I've seen this topic come across a lot as well.

Has any Dev ever commented on it?  Haven't kept track as for some reason it hasn't bothered me all that much.  I keep my screen on the dark side for dark nights though.

Pretty sure WU has a mod that can make winter graphics optional.  Anyone know if that would be feasible to implement in WO, and if not, why not (I mean from a technical standpoint, just find it interesting)?

PvPers have any issue with different clients rendering differently?  Always heard complaints about that in other games that have PvP, but no idea if that's an issue in Wurm.

3 hours ago, Reylaark said:

Hate to sound like the help desk asking if your computer is plugged in, but your lantern is off right?  Stranger things have happened.

Short of that, I too enjoy the seasons and like having snow on the ground.  I wonder if it wouldn't be possible to re-texture winter tiles to make them a bit more, well, textured.  I think there's likely a way to address this without throwing out the baby with the bath water.

Another idea in the interim is to use moss or enchanted grass in places on deed that might only be decorative grass.  Used that in a WU deed a while back.  Looked kinda cool and gives a break from the snow while looking around.

I carry no lantern. 

Sliders are fun. Give the option to have it down to nothing or even perma winter.

I would enjoy talking about snow drifts and frost giants to someone who sees only a warm summer day, in the desert.

But +1, also turn off bloom or somethin. I do not have issues with snow, it looks rather nice.

One of the downsides of how this game was implemented is all the islands have the exact same biome: Temperate europe-ish.

I'd be fine with removing winter from temperate servers if we had a server with an arctic biome, permanently frozen northern half with glaciers, southern half with short summers and long winters.

It could export ice for iceboxes and server exclusive crops to each other.

Edited by Darmalus
  • Like 1

Granted the snow tile is pretty meh... Personally it would possibly help if it sparkled a bit. Perhaps even a chance to go snowblind unless wearing one of these:

0b77fc4b28e1c97b0528731303d1a432.jpg

Pff to the OP, that's not snow!

Oregon forest service road:

upper-clackamas-oregon-12-large-01.09.11

• Like 3

Go to graphics settings and turn off "Bloom". That should help.

Edit: Oops, sorry Brash - didn't see your post.

Edited by Yaga

5 hours ago, Yaga said:

Go to graphics settings and turn off "Bloom". That should help.

Edit: Oops, sorry Brash - didn't see your post.

Bloom is turned off on every config I use.

Edited by Rasu

Rolf has stated that he'd prefer more winter, so posting this topic every 42nd day wont help.

I'm pretty sure the current devs respect his view on it.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Cecci said:

Rolf has stated that he'd prefer more winter, so posting this topic every 42nd day wont help.

Like a lot of things before this. If you ###### enough they will fix it.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Cecci said:

doesnt change the fact the texture is horrible and it looks even worse with bloom and in certain lighting scenarios.

im all for winter, just dont make it blinding and make it enjoyable to play the game in.

inb4 "it must just be you", clearly it isnt or these threads wouldnt keep getting made.

• Like 2

I think it's a matter of personal taste, more or less - nothing to be fixed. Some people (including myself) like winter textures!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Yaga said:

I think it's a matter of personal taste, more or less - nothing to be fixed. Some people (including myself) like winter textures!

Which is why I said optional, which given what happens sometimes when you do a relog can return the normal textures, it should not be to hard to add in.

Edited by Rasu

30 minutes ago, Yaga said:

It's not always about taste. I've seen what it looks like on a couple of other people's screens and having to wear sunglasses to not get eye problems during Wurm winters isn't worth it no matter how "pretty" it is. Doesn't matter if it looks gorgeous or not if you have to log out until the textures are gone for the season :P

22 minutes ago, Aeris said:

It's not always about taste. I've seen what it looks like on a couple of other people's screens and having to wear sunglasses to not get eye problems during Wurm winters isn't worth it no matter how "pretty" it is. Doesn't matter if it looks gorgeous or not if you have to log out until the textures are gone for the season :P

Statements like this make me more strongly believe that it must be a settings issue, given that winter isn't the least bit uncomfortable for me to look at for hours on end. That, or you have some sort of pre-existing eye condition.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Darmalus said:

Statements like this make me more strongly believe that it must be a settings issue, given that winter isn't the least bit uncomfortable for me to look at for hours on end. That, or you have some sort of pre-existing eye condition.

I keep thinking that maybe it has to do with the amount of blue light coming through on someone's screen.  My Asus screen has presets dedicated to varying degrees of blue light built right in as it can be an issue.

Did you ever launch your browser to Google in the middle of the night when you've been sleeping and your eyes are accustomed to a completely dark room?  I'm imagining it must be something like that.

Haven't suggested making any changes to blue light, though, because

1. I don't think the suggestion would be well received by those affected by this.  I think they're pretty set on their preferred solution.
  2. Having to adjust settings just for winters in Wurm would likely be a pain, even if your vid card software can automatically adjust when you launch the game, it's not always smooth and without glitches going back and forth.
  3. Still think if the snow tiles had more texture to them, it might attenuate the wall of blue light coming at folks so they aren't affected in the same way, and everyone can enjoy winter.

Sudden brightness hurts, but that's true if it's throwing open the curtains mid day, turning on my phone in a dark room or turning on the bathroom light at night. If that was the issue the people suffered from Wurm Winter would also suffer on the google home page or opening a spreadsheet.

I tend to keep all my color balance, gamma and brightness settings for my monitors in the middle range (usually 40 to 60) and get good results for all the games I play (WoW, DOOM, Wurm, XCOM, etc)

I agree on the need for texture. While I appreciate the stark white and black aesthetic of the forests, my tastes are not everyones.

1 hour ago, Darmalus said:

I don't have problems with it on my screen, but my exact settings cause problems on other screens I've used. Also it's pretty counterproductive to assume that people have preexisting eye conditions as a way to write off a problem as a non-issue. The people I know who own said screens have tried every available setting in the game and it's not an issue in other games. But like I said: All these things have been mentioned over and over ever since the snow season was introduced to the game.

Seems that inconvenienced people are doomed to have to log out whenever there's snow because people who "don't have any problems and enjoy the snow" are louder than those that do experience problems - Even though it would literally not affect them if the people who experience problems would have their wishes granted by not having to suffer through the winter pack.

Edit:
Klaa that's really not a good defense. People who go outside for extended periods of time when there's snow (i.e. skiing etc) do wear sunglasses since the reflected UV light is really harmful to the eyes. Wearing sunglasses indoors is something noone should ever be forced to while trying to enjoy a game.

Edited by Aeris