Sign in to follow this  
Talor

[released] Survival Mod : Temperature, crop seasons & drinking water

Been running this on Desolation V5 the last few days. Latest version feels much harsher then before. Some sort of modifier would be nice, if possible, to fine tune the impact.

Awesome otherwise. Thank-you for doing this.,

Here is the test I did now

From Hot -> taking damage

Wearing newbie leather

Winter, night - 12 min
Winter, day - 21 min
Spring, night - 16 min
Spring, day - Unlikely to change

I think the seasons are spot on (about the same winter day - spring night),

I think the difference between night and day should be somewhat bigger (especially during winter).

Other suggestions:

- If walking on ground tile type 30 (Snow) it should be somewhat colder, or perhaps set winter conditions regardless of date?

- If not eating enough food (fasting), it will bring your body temp down?

Edited by Jukken

We updated to the latest version this morning.

Everything seems spot on now :)

Good work Talor ! Players on Mystic Highlands seem to really like this mod now after a rocky start lol

Valiance and Kaylie.

No winter, With a gale wind, you can't leave house for more then like 2 mins. Pretty normal without the heavy wind

And thats with leather armor/Wool Gear

We will keep my eye out for a Gale Wind, but upto now, everything has seemed very balanced for the past 4 hours.

Valiance and Kaylie

8 hours ago, Nappy said:

Been running this on Desolation V5 the last few days. Latest version feels much harsher then before. Some sort of modifier would be nice, if possible, to fine tune the impact.

Awesome otherwise. Thank-you for doing this.,

So far, I've been balancing the mod with pve in mind; it might be that pvp requires a different balance. I'm going to play a bit on Desolation V5 and see how it feels.

One thing I noticed straight away though, is that on DV5 players start with 15ql cloth. Cloth doesn't have the bonus resistance to wind and rain that leather has, and the 15ql instead of 30ql will give slightly lower thermal bonus and wind/rain resistances. These factors combined will probably make the early-game more challenging.

6 hours ago, Jukken said:

I think the difference between night and day should be somewhat bigger (especially during winter).

Other suggestions:

- If walking on ground tile type 30 (Snow) it should be somewhat colder, or perhaps set winter conditions regardless of date?

- If not eating enough food (fasting), it will bring your body temp down?

If you have verbose logging on, could you paste in the logs, and also let me know the /time output? This will help me a lot for this kind of balance fine-tuning.

The snow modifier is definitely possible. I could add that to a future version.

As far as food giving bonuses/penalties, I want to wait until the cooking update comes in before doing too much on this.

5 hours ago, Hakameda said:

No winter, With a gale wind, you can't leave house for more then like 2 mins. Pretty normal without the heavy wind

And thats with leather armor/Wool Gear

Likewise for this, if possible could you paste the logs if verbose logging is enabled, and let me know the /time output? It makes it a lot easier for me to see what is going on.

Seems completely fine without gale wind so far, Did have imped leather and whichever wool parts we could. Now its down to strong breeze and not even noticed cold markers while wandering on deed now. Before we had to huddle in a hot box for 30 mins to get warm

I just released an update with this change:

• Mod detects if player is on a pvp server or within a pvp focus zone, and makes them slightly warmer if they are
  • Like 1

Desolation V5 now has the updated version with the PVP change. Will report back once more feedback comes in.

Awesome mod, lots of potential impacts come from this one.

Ok we finally had a gale which lasted a few hours on Mystic Highlands.

Winter, Day and Night it lasted. Snowing some of the time, yeah it was super cold, could not do much outside, but we think that was great, good excuse to make those materials by the fireplace :)

Mod is getting better and better :)

Super work Talor !

Valiance and Kaylie.

I just released an update with the following change:

• Removed pvp check and replaced with a hardMode option, configurable in the .properties file.

(If you are running a pve server and want conditions to stay the same, use hardMode=true. If you are running a pvp server and want conditions to stay the same, use hardMode=false.)

• Like 1

Great stuff Talor.

Just to be clear - hardMode = true means it's overall colder and false it's not as cold?

I run the mod (v0.23) on Ereb Altor - Marjura (pvp epic).. Balance seems good.

I'll run the new version with hardMode option on/off on the test server and check it out.

1f1ff78076024ea408f108e8adf8c7e4.png

Good work Talor :)

Mystic Highlands is now running it on Hardmore = False and it seems to be about right.

We would have used the Hardmode = True, as thats what we have ran for the past 4 or 5 days now, but with that setting, the cold weathe just lasts too long for us :( Would last until close to Summer and start again not too long after Summer ends.

Hopefully using it False, the cold weather wont last anywhere near so long. We had hoped as we discussed with you for the cold to start 7 ingame days before winter and end 7 ingame days after winter, hopefully this is a lot closer now :)

But overall, this mod is fantastic, thankyou for your time and efforts Talor.

Valiance and Kaylie.

1 hour ago, Jukken said:

Just to be clear - hardMode = true means it's overall colder and false it's not as cold?

Yes, that's right.

Downloaded lastest version.

I think you nailed the balance now.

1f1ff78076024ea408f108e8adf8c7e4.png

Here are the tests I made (both hardMode true and false):

hardMode = true
Indoors (no fire)
Newbie leather

Winter, night
It is 03:17:14 on day of the Wurm in week 3 of the starfall of Silence in the year of 980.
Log says -5
From Hot -> Damage = 10 min

Winter, day
It is 11:59:08 on day of the Wurm in week 3 of the starfall of Silence in the year of 980.
Log says -2
From Hot -> Damage = 25 min

Spring, night
It is 02:53:32 on day of the Ant in week 4 of the starfall of the Saw in the year of 981.
Log says -4
From Hot -> Damage = 14 min

Spring, day
It is 11:52:15 on day of the Ant in week 4 of the starfall of the Saw in the year of 981.
Log says 0
From Hot -> Damage = Infinite (Unlikely to change)

hardMode = false
Indoors (no fire)
Newbie leather

Winter, night
It is 03:08:21 on Wrath day in week 3 of the starfall of Silence in the year of 980.
Log says -4
From Hot -> Damage = 12 min

Winter, day
It is 12:44:29 on day of the Wurm in week 3 of the starfall of Silence in the year of 980.
Log says -1 (took some time, at the end said -2)
From Hot -> Damage = 38 min

Spring, night
It is 03:25:05 on day of the Ant in week 4 of the starfall of the Saw in the year of 981.
Log says -3 (took some time, ended at -2)
From Hot -> Damage = 25 min

Spring, day
Not testet - probably infinite - getting warmer.

I'll set it to hardMode on the harsh PvP Marjura server.

If the players want to leave the warm and friendly PvE server and travel north to the cold and hostle PvP island, they should be ready for hardcore. B)

Edited by Jukken

I really appreciate this mod for a number of reasons beyond the already commonly expressed enjoyment of more realism in the game.

This mod is also an example of a server side mod that can cancel some of the benefits of a client side mod. In this case there is a client side mod that changes visual appearance on the client to remove or reduce the length of winter time. Obviously the server focus on winter means that in some ways the client mod has gone from being a bonus to being a negative since you lose some key visual indicators of the onset of winter and winter can kill you.

The other impact is potentially on macroers. In addition to the normal macro programming that's required, a mod like this should complicate the programming because  you also have to stay warm or you could die while unattended.

Although not likely the purpose of the mod, the potential side effects are very interesting as well and useful examples for others to consider when trying to counter undesirable client side mods.

• Like 2

I have just released a new update with the following change:

• Standing on snow tiles will make you colder
    (this refers to the snow tile type, not other tiles that render as snow during winter)

The mod is more-or-less complete in terms of features, and the balance seems to be in a good place. So I have changed the thread to [beta] to reflect this.

Edited by Talor
  • Like 3

Working perfectly. Thanks a ton for your work.

Up on the Marjura glacier it's really cold now :)

marjura5.jpg

One thing I have noticed is that if you're getting very cold - you log out and in - and you're at "hot" again. Bit of an exploit.

43 minutes ago, Jukken said:

One thing I have noticed is that if you're getting very cold - you log out and in - and you're at "hot" again. Bit of an exploit.

Now this is funny! Brought the same topic up with Talor just a few hours before you did. I suspect it doesn't maintain a database entry for player "state" hence that trick works.

In a way it's kind of cool that a mod like this one has generated someone figuring out a way around it eh?

Edited by Nappy

Been thinking about this a bit more. On a server running announcer mod, the choice you have as a player is to use the instant warm option by relogging however at the same time you let the whole server know that you are around.

• Like 1

Currently this mod is quite 'non-invasive'. While it would be possible add a new database field for temperature and save this at logout and load it at login, this seems like asking for trouble. If the code is not completely watertight, it might lead to more serious exploits.

How about this as an imperfect but maybe workable solution:

When you log in, your starting temperature would be based on how warm or cold it is. For example, if you log on when you are 'rapidly getting colder', you would be very cold. If you log in when you are 'getting warmer', you would log in warm or very warm.

How does that sound?

We would say best solution would simply be, log people in as Cold, not Very Cold, just Cold....c'mon, most people when they first wake up are cold anyway. And being Cold is not really beneficial to log out and in for.

Very Cold could be harsh, in winter, you could be in serious trouble if you dont aleady have kindling on hand.

Valiance and Kaylie.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Talor said:

Currently this mod is quite 'non-invasive'. While it would be possible add a new database field for temperature and save this at logout and load it at login, this seems like asking for trouble. If the code is not completely watertight, it might lead to more serious exploits.

How about this as an imperfect but maybe workable solution:

When you log in, your starting temperature would be based on how warm or cold it is. For example, if you log on when you are 'rapidly getting colder', you would be very cold. If you log in when you are 'getting warmer', you would log in warm or very warm.

How does that sound?

Sounds fine.

Yes, I think cold will be fine. Enough to get to warmth in winter, but still not quite enough to bother with relog.