Sign in to follow this  
Talor

[released] Survival Mod : Temperature, crop seasons & drinking water

Great mod.

Here are some tests I did on a test server. I was standing a long time warming up to Very Warm, then went outside with no heat source:

Autumn (23.00 night) - from Very warm to taking damage - 5 min

Autumn (09.00 sunny day) - from Very warm to taking damage - Infinite (You are very warm, and this is unlikely to change.)

Winter (23.00 night) - from Very warm to taking damage - 3 min.

Winter (09.00 sunny day) - from Very warm to taking damage - 16 min.

Spring (23.00 night) - from Very warm to taking damage - 5 min

Spring (09.00 sunny day) - from Very warm to taking damage - Infinite (You are very warm, and this is unlikely to change.)

Summer (23.00 night) - from Very warm to taking damage - Infintite (You are very warm, and you are getting warmer.)

Summer (09.00 sunny day) - from Very warm to taking damage - Infinite (You are very warm, and you are rapidly getting warmer.)

Autumn and spring nights seems abit too harsh, but the rest seem fine.

The heat source seems problematic. I was using a QL 50 oven. Putting a full log in there gets you to warm up, but after a short while, it no longer warms you up - even though it says there is plenty fuel left and it will burn for a long time.

I'm guessing the oven was doing the same as a QL 1 oven would do....and when this low QL oven is running out of fuel, it no longer warms. The QL 50 oven on the other hand has lots of fuel left - but no longer warms you up anyway.

If all ovens/forges etc will burn like a QL1 version, there will be a massive need to fuel with logs.

Edited by Jukken
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Katia said:

Oops forgot one more thing. The timer for the mod is too short as it interupts the action timer a wounded low skill persons action timer can exceed 30 seconds so that they can never finish making a kindling or starting a fire. The timer needs to be set so that they have a chance to live ;)

This is what happened to me. By the time I was able to chop a tree, make a kindling, and light a fire, I was almost dead.

Thanks for all the testing and feedback everyone. I read it all and I'm hoping this new release should deal with most of the problems. However, it did involve rewriting most of the mod, so there will probably be some brand new bugs to replace those squished by this update.

• Clothing now has an effect (ql doesn't matter for now)
  • Fires now give maximum heat at a lower temperature to match the examine text
  • GM protection mode, configurable via .properties file
  • Verbose logging mode for testing, configurable via .properties file
  • Lots of bug-fixes and minor balance changes

Some detail on how clothing works:

• Any item of clothing/armour provides a small warming effect. Cloth gets an additional bonus and wool gets a bigger bonus still.
  • Wool slightly mitigates the cooling effect of rain, and leather (including drake/scale) mitigates this effect more strongly.
  • Leather (including drake/scale) slightly mitigates the cooling effect of strong winds.
  • Wool strongly mitigates the cooling effect from swimming.
Edited by Talor
  • Like 4

Great addition! Thank you for all the effort you're putting into this.

Edited by Katorone

Great work Talor :)

We will update Mystic Highlands in a few hours with the new updated version of the mod.

We will let you know if we find any bugs.

Thanks a lot.

Valiance and Kaylie.

Great stuff indeed.

I tried the new version (1.2). Seems none of my heat sources work now. I've tried oven, open fireplace and a campfire (outside). They do not warm you up at all now.

Spring 23.00 (night) - You are rapidly getting colder. (right at the fires).

Edited by Jukken
  • Like 1

Jukken is correct,

0.2 none of the heat sources work now. They all still say you are feeling colder, no matter how much fuel you put on them.

If by no fire, we were rapidly getting cold, by a campfire we were just getting cold, so the source is there, they are just not outputting enough heat even when fueled.

I will revert back to 0.15 until fixed :)

Thanks Talor for a great mod, hope you find the problem asap !

Valiance and Kaylie.

Edited by Wulfrock

1 hour ago, Jukken said:

I tried the new version (1.2). Seems none of my heat sources work now. I've tried oven, open fireplace and a campfire (outside). They do not warm you up at all now.

44 minutes ago, Wulfrock said:

If by no fire, we were rapidly getting cold, by a campfire we were just getting cold, so the source is there, they are just not outputting enough heat even when fueled.

This is strange. I just tested various heat sources and they seem to be working for me.

If you have verbose logging mode enabled in the .properties file, could you please paste the output from your server console? It should look like this:

[10:10:55 AM] INFO org.talor.wurmunlimited.mods.survival.Survival: Testperson has following modifiers... calendar mod: -2.57033994875888, day/night mod: 0.8376139011960446, windMod : 0, swimMod: 0, rainMod: 0, indoors: true

[10:10:55 AM] INFO org.talor.wurmunlimited.mods.survival.Survival: Testperson - head(200) slot: leather cap

[10:10:55 AM] INFO org.talor.wurmunlimited.mods.survival.Survival: Testperson - double delta: 5.667273952437165 rounded to 6

[10:10:55 AM] INFO org.talor.wurmunlimited.mods.survival.Survival: Testperson - torso(200) slot: leather jacket

[10:10:55 AM] INFO org.talor.wurmunlimited.mods.survival.Survival: Testperson - double delta: 5.667273952437165 rounded to 6

[10:10:55 AM] INFO org.talor.wurmunlimited.mods.survival.Survival: Testperson - left arm(200) slot: leather sleeve

[10:10:55 AM] INFO org.talor.wurmunlimited.mods.survival.Survival: Testperson - left hand(200) slot: leather glove

[10:10:55 AM] INFO org.talor.wurmunlimited.mods.survival.Survival: Testperson - right arm(200) slot: leather sleeve

[10:10:55 AM] INFO org.talor.wurmunlimited.mods.survival.Survival: Testperson - right hand(200) slot: leather glove

[10:10:55 AM] INFO org.talor.wurmunlimited.mods.survival.Survival: Testperson - legs(200) slot: leather pants

[10:10:55 AM] INFO org.talor.wurmunlimited.mods.survival.Survival: Testperson - left foot(200) slot: leather boot

[10:10:55 AM] INFO org.talor.wurmunlimited.mods.survival.Survival: Testperson - right foot(200) slot: leather boot

Edited by Talor

It does seem to be working in a way now. But I put 2 peat in a forge and its still not saying rapidly warming, just warming, and i can now go 5 tiles away and still say warming, whereas before it was 3 tiles away for warming and the next 2 said no change, then the next one was cold, but now its 5 warming then straight to cold.

[10:37:40 AM] INFO org.talor.wurmunlimited.mods.survival.Survival: Valiance has following modifiers... calendar mod: -6.802018749874841, day/night mod: 0.8253582086325291, windMod : 0, swimMod: 0, rainMod: 0, indoors: true
[10:37:40 AM] INFO org.talor.wurmunlimited.mods.survival.Survival: Valiance - head(200) slot: chain coif
[10:37:40 AM] INFO org.talor.wurmunlimited.mods.survival.Survival: Valiance - double delta: 1.4233394587576877 rounded to 1
[10:37:40 AM] INFO org.talor.wurmunlimited.mods.survival.Survival: Valiance - torso(200) slot: chain jacket
[10:37:40 AM] INFO org.talor.wurmunlimited.mods.survival.Survival: Valiance - double delta: 1.4233394587576877 rounded to 1
[10:37:40 AM] INFO org.talor.wurmunlimited.mods.survival.Survival: Valiance - left arm(200) slot: chain sleeve
[10:37:40 AM] INFO org.talor.wurmunlimited.mods.survival.Survival: Valiance - left hand(200) slot: chain gauntlet
[10:37:40 AM] INFO org.talor.wurmunlimited.mods.survival.Survival: Valiance - right arm(200) slot: chain sleeve
[10:37:40 AM] INFO org.talor.wurmunlimited.mods.survival.Survival: Valiance - right hand(200) slot: chain gauntlet
[10:37:40 AM] INFO org.talor.wurmunlimited.mods.survival.Survival: Valiance - legs(200) slot: chain pants
[10:37:40 AM] INFO org.talor.wurmunlimited.mods.survival.Survival: Valiance - left foot(200) slot: chain boot
[10:37:40 AM] INFO org.talor.wurmunlimited.mods.survival.Survival: Valiance - right foot(200) slot: chain boot

Valiance and Kaylie.

[10:54:20 FM] INFO org.talor.wurmunlimited.mods.survival.Survival: Jukken - head(196) slot: leather cap
[10:54:20 FM] INFO org.talor.wurmunlimited.mods.survival.Survival: Jukken - double delta: -3.9720715893409477 rounded to -4
[10:54:20 FM] INFO org.talor.wurmunlimited.mods.survival.Survival: Jukken - torso(196) slot: leather jacket
[10:54:20 FM] INFO org.talor.wurmunlimited.mods.survival.Survival: Jukken - double delta: -3.9720715893409477 rounded to -4
[10:54:20 FM] INFO org.talor.wurmunlimited.mods.survival.Survival: Jukken - left arm(196) slot: leather sleeve
[10:54:20 FM] INFO org.talor.wurmunlimited.mods.survival.Survival: Jukken - left hand(196) slot: leather glove
[10:54:20 FM] INFO org.talor.wurmunlimited.mods.survival.Survival: Jukken - right arm(196) slot: leather sleeve
[10:54:20 FM] INFO org.talor.wurmunlimited.mods.survival.Survival: Jukken - right hand(196) slot: leather glove
[10:54:20 FM] INFO org.talor.wurmunlimited.mods.survival.Survival: Jukken - legs(196) slot: leather pants
[10:54:20 FM] INFO org.talor.wurmunlimited.mods.survival.Survival: Jukken - left foot(196) slot: leather boot
[10:54:20 FM] INFO org.talor.wurmunlimited.mods.survival.Survival: Jukken - right foot(196) slot: leather boot
[10:54:22 FM] INFO org.talor.wurmunlimited.mods.survival.Survival: Jukken has following modifiers... calendar mod: -9.893459576103556, day/night mod: -1.478612013237392, windMod : 0, swimMod: 0, rainMod: 0, indoors: true

There was a bug with how seasons were calculated, which made it very cold. This bug is now fixed and the new release should work properly.

• Like 1

Seems to be working now.

All we see thats a little odd now is, Candelabra's give rapid warmth now.

Also took us 2 minutes swimming in winter to go from very warm to warm.

Valiance and Kaylie.

There is a very big change at some point.

Winter - night time, the worst you can get kind of.

I put a new log into oven

- go outside and quite abit away. Now getting warmer (+1)

- then I walk one tile futher away. Now getting rapidly colder (-4)

There is no "nothing will change". Goes from warm - to rapidly cold on one tile.

Screenshots.

getting_warmer.jpg

rapidly_colder.jpg

On the first tile, I can see the oven inside the house. On one tile further way I cannot (it gets clipped off). Maybe this has something to do with the drastic change?

I have just released a new version with the following changes:

• Leather adventurer's hats now have a small additional bonus against rain.
  • Brown bear helms now have the same properties as a woolen hat.
  • Improved heat source formula so that heat drops off more realistically
  • Reduced heating effect of lights such as candelabrum and torches, relative to campfire, forges, etc.
  • Increased cooling effect of swimming.

(This update should address the issues Wulfrock & Jukken raised above)

• Like 3

Talor, you rock sir...

Great job ! Been running this new updated version now for over an hour, at night in winter with almost 20 people on the server. Everyone is getting on great with it.

Enjoyed testing this mod with you to get the small problems fixed. 10/10 mod.

Valiance and Kaylie.

Edited by Wulfrock

Great updates.

This is the new test I did:

Very warm -> taking damage

Wearing newbie leather.

Winter, night - 9 min
Winter, day - 38 min
Autumn, night - 13 min

Autumn, day - Infintite (getting warmer)

Didn't do the rest, should be the same or even warmer.

Perhaps you shouldn't be getting warmer during autumn, rest seem ok. A tiny bit colder daytime perhaps.

7 minutes ago, Jukken said:

Perhaps you shouldn't be getting warmer during autumn, rest seem ok. A tiny bit colder daytime perhaps.

It makes sense that you get warmer on a sunny autumn day while wearing insulated clothing.  If anything, maybe your food/water should go down slightly faster.

How are the effects when naked?  This is probably the baseline.

Nice updates, this has addressed all the issues we had noticed. Keep up the great work!

Starfall of Dancers (autumn) - at night - during rain.

Wearing newbie leather.

You are very warm, and this is unlikely to change.

Seems abit too warm.

Absolute best would be, if it could be custom set in the properties file.

Maybe something like:

Harshness=1 (mild)

Harshness=2 (chilly)

Harshness=3 (cold)

Harshness=4 (very cold)

Harshness=5 (insanly cold)

Edited by Jukken

4 hours ago, Jukken said:

Starfall of Dancers (autumn) - at night - during rain.

Wearing newbie leather.

You are very warm, and this is unlikely to change.

Seems abit too warm.

In the next version, I'll make the quality of the clothing/armour have an effect. Currently all clothing counts as 100ql, so in general the next update will make it a bit colder. If after that it is still too easy, I can tweak it a bit more.

Edited by Talor
  • Like 2

I've always wanted this in WO, I was also the one to suggest wool just for this!

Now all we need is a "you are getting sick from cold" mod! :)

Will definitely be adding this to ~!Highthborne and Anthion, probably going to wait for the next version though.

Edited by Roushi
  • Like 1

I just released a new update with the following changes. It changes quite a lot, so there might be some new bugs.

• Clothing quality now affects warmth, rain protection, etc.
  • Day/Night and seasonal temperatures should be more realistic
  • Eating 'hot' food or drinking 'hot' drinks has a warming effect
  • It is now slightly colder at higher altitudes
  • Added a 'you are hot' message to /mytemp and adjusted the other messages
  • Fixed a couple of bugs

It looks like Wurm only lets you drink hot tea and not hot water, even if it is the same temperature. I don't want to mess around with that though, as the cooking update may change all of that code.

Here's a graph of the new day/night and season formula:https://www.desmos.com/calculator/azyrtghy2e

Assuming no clothing and no other modifiers, when the black line goes under the green line you are 'getting colder', and under the blue line is when you are 'rapidly getting colder'.

• Like 4

Awesome.

I did some quick tests and the balance seems great. Will do some more tests tomorrow.

Very nice touch with the elevation and hot food/drinks effect.

:)