Sign in to follow this  
sandokhan

Make rifts accessible for everyone

1 hour ago, sandokhan said:

######. Its programmed to spawn south. It never spawned north. Why do u think i raised this topic. Using the word 'random' or 'rng' is just a discussion stopper.

has a dev come right out and said they will only spawn in south xanadu?

didn't think so

I only listed up a fact that it never spawns north of the equator. What's ur problem. Do u only want ur name in this topic? 

9 minutes ago, sandokhan said:

I only listed up a fact that it never spawns north of the equator. What's ur problem. Do u only want ur name in this topic? 

I am sure its only a matter of time and it will spawn up north, then knowing wurm rng the next 20 will be up there and then we will have to look at posts saying omg it never spawns in the south!

Random has NOT the same meaning as the word PERFECT. That's an assumption that many people accept. And it also means that programmers delivered a perfect piece of programming and everybody who has some critisism should shut up. 

I keep telling the same fact over and over again and that is this: the rifts keep spawning in the southern parts of Xanadu and many of the players would like to see that it spawns on the other parts of the map as well. On behalve of everyone that wants to have frequently better access to a rift on Xanadu i revive the topic a bit.

2 hours ago, sandokhan said:

Its programmed to spawn south.

Have you taken a look at the map to see how Retrograde's info might affect spawn locations?  It kinda maybe looks a bit more mountainous far north, or at least mountains might be in closer proximity to each other.  That might leave the flatter sections with a higher density of deeds?  I can't entirely tell and haven't really explored much of Xanadu enough to draw a conclusion as of yet, myself.

Just feel like Retro's info sounds like a good hint as to where to find the root cause, and hence potentially form viable solutions.

On 12/22/2016 at 6:24 AM, Retrograde said:

They spawn randomly on the server, chances are most areas it selects closer to the outside of the servers are more built up, or mountainous, both of which mean it rerolls for the location.

Does proximity to a coastline perhaps also affect it?  Granted coastlines are usually more built up anyway, but just curious when I look at Xanadu's geography and how what you're saying would affect the number of potential spawn locations.

Do you think there might be any wiggle room in the variables that determine allowable proximity to mountains/deeds/coast to relax them a bit?  Might allow more locations to the north to become acceptable, but then again might make deed owners angry.

Tough nut to crack.

2 hours ago, JakeRivers said:

you do know it's all rng right?

Ah, RNG.  Unfortunately it's not always reason enough to suspend all thought.  In this case, it's RNG within constraints.  It's like saying anything could happen when flipping a coin.  In reality, only 1 of 3 things is going to happen.  Face, back, side.  If the constraints are very limiting, it may only allow a small number of potentially acceptable spawn locations, making the RNG still R in its effect on the algorithm, but much less relevant in the player's actual experience in practice.

At least that's how I might begin to reconcile what you're saying to what Sandokhan is experiencing.  Entirely possible you're both right, just leaving out Retrograde's info as a crucial variable in your analyses.

People are starting to get tired of long journeys developers! They realy want to go like me but when we look at the map then we think ..'oh no..not again'...

3 hours ago, sandokhan said:

People are starting to get tired of long journeys developers! They realy want to go like me but when we look at the map then we think ..'oh no..not again'...

Good thing you have 2 days notice so you can make that journey!

Locking this thread, Nothing constructive is being added to the thread.