Sign in to follow this  
sandokhan

Make rifts accessible for everyone

It's ridiculous how Rift-spawnpoints are managed in this game. Everyone that lives in the upper part of xanadu have to travel for hours, EACH TIME!!!

Make something, as a friend said, like portals in startertowns. So everyone can have better and quicker access to the spawnpoint. If you, developpers do that, you can even let a rift spawn at a flat'ish mountaintop. This would be great for everyone. Work on this please...

• Like 2

hmmmm for some reason i thought those were random areas? maybe they could randomize the spawns for the rifts a bit? every other one will spawn in the north and every other will spawn in the south.or maybe it would be seasonal,in winter rifts spawn in the south and summer spawn up north? im sure there could be an easy fix to make things more fair.

• Like 1

I have to say, i love the idea of rifts and really enjoyed the first one i was involved in. The main reason i do not attend rifts is simply the distance i would need to travel to take part. The suggestion of town teleports seem like a good idea to me. Perhaps you could teleport by using some kind of rift material when rifts have appeared?

Edited by Amory

They spawn randomly on the server, chances are most areas it selects closer to the outside of the servers are more built up, or mountainous, both of which mean it rerolls for the location.

Sorry you're saying randomly? I think you should write down every location when they spawn...and you will see it will be always in the downpart.

1 hour ago, sandokhan said:

Sorry you're saying randomly? I think you should write down every location when they spawn...and you will see it will be always in the downpart.

That's why he was trying to explain if it hits an area to close to buildings or deeds it repicks which leads it to tend to spawn in similar areas with no people around them.

• Like 1

xanadooze, lol

you could do what my friend does and travel to other servers for rifts

• Like 1

And yet it still takes me 2-5 hours to get there (and I live in the south).

Its a horrible journey to make.  Personally I think freedom needs a teleport spell for priests so we can pull folks to the rift ;)

• Like 3

Part of the game is traveling and I used to not like having to venture out far for a rift, but now it's kind of fun.  You explore a lot more, meet new people, find random things decaying that are valuable.  Sometimes get lost............................

Or can go to smaller servers like a lot of us do for rift. :P

If I miss Xan rift then I'll hit up Deli or somewhere else.

• Like 4

You play on the biggest server - it's fairly easy to get to the rifts on other server even if they're on the other side of a server.

With plotting options and crossing made quick and easy I really cant see why teleporting form starter towns would be a good thing. Wurm's the one game that doesn't have fast traveling or magic teleporting from town to town without penalties or a heavy cost, but it's leaning more and more to that... It's something I don't necessarily like. A technical issue would lie in attempting to bring mounts through such a portal.

I could support a myriad of other ideas like removing the " light breeze"  wind speed to make travel easier, or to force rifts to spawn in at least a certain quadrant which rotates instead of entirely randomly.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, nicedreams said:

Part of the game is traveling and I used to not like having to venture out far for a rift, but now it's kind of fun.  You explore a lot more, meet new people, find random things decaying that are valuable.  Sometimes get lost............................

Or can go to smaller servers like a lot of us do for rift. :P

If I miss Xan rift then I'll hit up Deli or somewhere else.

i do that too :D

journey is part of games.... so let it like this :P 

17 hours ago, Retrograde said:

They spawn randomly on the server, chances are most areas it selects closer to the outside of the servers are more built up, or mountainous, both of which mean it rerolls for the location.

Perhaps it would help if it was a bit less random? For example what if it first selected on quarter of the map and simply rotates through that, so NW the first time, NE the next time, then SE, SW and NW again, etc. Then it tries to randomly find a spot in that quarter and finally puts down the rift in the first proper spot it can find in that quarter. Then the distributrion is suddenly a lot better, and this can work for all servers so it wouldn't require special code for one server.

• Like 1

But till now all spawns are south-east and south-west'ish....There are large spots, with no deeds close by, in the north-east. The rifts never spawn there...

Btw i dont mind a bit traveling. But after 1,5 hour continously moving and more it becomes boring. I've already crossed a lot of the same roads southwards because its always south.

Edited by sandokhan

On ‎12‎/‎22‎/‎2016 at 9:53 AM, Etherdrifter said:

And yet it still takes me 2-5 hours to get there (and I live in the south).

Its a horrible journey to make.  Personally I think freedom needs a teleport spell for priests so we can pull folks to the rift ;)

For me it's more of a time-zone thing, I don't mind the traveling.

And for the record, Rifts ARE accessible to everyone, you just have to get there.

But, it would be cool if when the Rift opened, so did Rift Portals at each starting area that lead to the Rift.

To keep people from using them like stepping disks to jump from starter town to starter town, make it so you can only come back to the Rift Portal you entered.

Once the Rift is closed, the Rift Portals close as well.

Biggest problem I see with this portal idea though is how do you port wagons and the livestock pulling them? Would need to be like when you transition from server to server and you boat with everything in it comes with you.

Edited by Caroligan

+1 im spending hours on a cart right now trying to join in on a rift. however if there were portals i would like speed buffs for the duration of the rift due to lack of a mount

6 hours ago, Caroligan said:

For me it's more of a time-zone thing, I don't mind the traveling.

And for the record, Rifts ARE accessible to everyone, you just have to get there.

Speaking as Xanadu's chief rift healer (I've been at over 80% of the rifts (no, that number was not made up, its also a higher attendence than the majority of people) and I hold the record for particpation (1002 thanks to some really kind gem donations)) I can say that a lot of rifts are an absolute *palm* to get to.  More so, after talking to a fair few folks, a lot of people who DO NOT go to rifts:

1.  Fear getting lost and dying and losing their items or just being unable to find their way home (this is a genuine concern for folks who do not metagame)

2.  Know it will take too long to get there (VERY few people enjoy 3-10 hours (round trip) of 0 skillgain that they are paying for)

These factors are directly linked to travel and, since Xanadu is the most populous server, it indicates that something should be done.

The first could be fixed with a better mapping system (access to mapdumps via an ingame button (not too hard?)), the second though is purely temporal (I won't comment that there are 2-3 weekday rifts per weekend rift which is also a huge factor) and could only be fixed via a quick travel system of some kind (and a better rift timing system).

7 hours ago, Caroligan said:

Biggest problem I see with this portal idea though is how do you port wagons and the livestock pulling them? Would need to be like when you transition from server to server and you boat with everything in it comes with you.

^ is a huge concern that would need to be addressed

Overall the best solution is either spawn settlement portals (kicks hermits in the teeth) or priest "call player/mount etc" spells (which would be PvE only and kick anyone priests hate in the teeth) or BOTH (which means everyone wins since it would be very rare for a person to fall into "kick both in teeth" group).  All in all, QoL will be a big factor in wurm 2017, this would be a solid indicator of QoL intent.

I live about an hour or more by the coast with a good wind.

I can get to exo and cross the map in a couple hours. If that is how i want to do it.

My issue is timing. I cant even suggest a timing change because my schedule is so fluid its like a tsunami. One day I shall make it.

One day.

I only hope all the loot nonsense is figured out by then.

+1 if you can still ride to them, -1 if you can't. You won't exactly be in a good situation on foot at a rift. But make it where someone builds a "rift portal" like the epic one at their deed, then someone has to build another rift portal at the rift location. Off deed portals will take huge decay ticks, and will disappear before next rift opens. 

As usual the latest Rift on Xanadu will spawn south(west). The next one will also spawns in the southern part. As developers you can't say anymore 'it spawns randomly'. The only thing you can say is it spawns randomly in the south...I dont call this matter as 'balanced'.

On 12/23/2016 at 11:57 PM, Etherdrifter said:

...snip...

Overall the best solution is either spawn settlement portals (kicks hermits in the teeth) or priest "call player/mount etc" spells (which would be PvE only and kick anyone priests hate in the teeth) or BOTH (which means everyone wins since it would be very rare for a person to fall into "kick both in teeth" group).  All in all, QoL will be a big factor in wurm 2017, this would be a solid indicator of QoL intent.

I am both a hermit (RL asperger's syndrome and the fallout) and I have been an avid opponent of much that involves priests, spells, etc., for years. I do fall in the "kick both in the teeth" group. I will never agree with many players about most of the game. Many players have me on ignore as a result. It is why I will never participate in social events in Wurm or try to hire a priest to fix my mine or cast Genesis. I have nothing to gain from this and will probably hate this whole thing later.

So ignore me. Doesn't matter in the big picture. As you say 2017 should be the real for QoL improvements for Wurm and the idea of spawn portals and/or priest call player/mount spells should be in my opinion looked at for the overall health of the game and the Rift system. Take care of the largest share of players you can. Everyone's time is important, not just the time and sensibilities of a few.

TD;LR: Tell the Devs "Go for it". Probably good for the game overall. Definitely good for the majority of players. +1

Edited by geode
  • Like 1

My first Rift took me 3 hrs to travel to from the NE of Xanadu. I don't think I've ever seen a rift spawn in the north half of the map.

last 2 rifts: below the xana equator ...with other words SOUTH AGAIN!

Developers: redesign your codelines for spawnpoints. Its rubbish.

Numero uno:

I want to see a rift in, say, C17 Xan where the amount of northern mobs mixes with the amount of rift mobs and it's a bloodbath.

Numero dos:

Portals in starter towns - go.

you do know it's all rng right?

if you don't like the travel times, move to a smaller server

6 minutes ago, JakeRivers said:

you do know it's all rng right?

if you don't like the travel times, move to a smaller server

######. Its programmed to spawn south. It never spawned north. Why do u think i raised this topic. Using the word 'random' or 'rng' is just a discussion stopper.